Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 One of our Own mentioned in Bill Winke's article >

One of our Own mentioned in Bill Winke's article

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One of our Own mentioned in Bill Winke's article

Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: One of our Own mentioned in Bill Winke's article

Yep, noticed it right off the bat a couple days ago when I first got that issue in... I was gonna post the same thing, but it seems I've just been swamped the last couple days.

Cool stuff indeed.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:46 AM

Default RE: One of in Bill Winke's article

Not to slight Len in any way, I'm happy for him. I just wanted to say that I have met and spoken with Bill Winke several times, and he is a stand up fella. A real class act, and boy can the man shoot. It doesn't surprise me he would admit being corrected at all.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One of in Bill Winke's article

Thats neat, Good for Len.I too am also thankful for the writters like Bill who are at heart down to earth hunters first and foremost like the rest of us. Some writtersare not and think they float above us in the clouds with their own bosted up knowledge and experience. They are more in it to become famous then the passion of the hunt and hunter.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is great. Congrats to Len and thanks for posting it David. I always had alot of respect for Bill Winke. He is an excellent outdoor writer and I am glad he took Len's comments to heart.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good for LEN!Isn't anyone curious as to what brands Len sells at his shop?And his reasons why he carries certain brands?LEN--You gonna step up and take some credit here or what?[8D]I only say that because he seems to me to be the type that really couldn't care less if his name is mentioned or not as long as the truth be known by the archery folks about products.jmho.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope, he won't. But in answer to your question. He carries all the major brands except Mmmmmmmmmmmm ..... Mmmmmmmmmmm.... well, you know. Although, seems like someone is always bringing one of them in for him to fix or set up correctly. The only reason he doesn't carry that is because they're loyal to the first guys they gave the franchises to. It's hurting them in Baltimore that's for sure. Len sells more bows in a good week than the Mathews guy sells in a year probably. The Mathews guy in the area doesn't even have a real full time shopI don't think. In fact, I don't even know who it is now. I think the guy that owns it bought the business off someone els and runs it out of his garage, or something like that. Anyway, I know at one time Len stocked about 15 manufacturers. I think he's lowered that some now. He is a big dealer for all the biggies, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, Darton, etc etc. There are some he doesn't carry intentionally. He won't tell you what he prefers and why for the simple reason he was accused of advertising on here at one time and told to cease and desist or else. He therefore no longer has a burning desire to educated the internet.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

He therefore no longer has a burning desire to educated the internet.

Plus he has to stay loyal to his paying customers. [&:]
Old 05-05-2006, 09:20 AM

Many thanks to Bill Winke for listening. It really shows his character. The way a previous article read could have been misinterpreted by many. My main purpose was to get Bill to advise archers to check their arrows 100% initiallyand to check them periodically after shooting. You not only have to check for straightness, you also have to check for any imperfections/structural damage, loose nocks, loose inserts, bent inserts, and overall wear. In spite of many claims, carbon arrows do NOT last for life.

Quote from jsasker:
Isn't anyone curious as to what brands Len sells at his shop?And his reasons why he carries certain brands?LEN--You gonna step up and take some credit here or what?[8D]I only say that because he seems to me to be the type that really couldn't care less if his name is mentioned or not as long as the truth be known by the archery folks about products.jmho.

I'll sell all the brands in my shop because some are just plain 'brand loyal'. What I do, however, is encourage my customers to check every arrow for straightness so that the best can be used for hunting. I don't care if they're .001 or .006, every lot can be different and it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from year to year.

For example, last year I wouldn't sell a certain .006 arrow because it had a VERY poor straightness yield of about 70% and would loose straightness over time. This year that arrow is greatly improved. Last year I had a problem with another arrow that was supposed to be a .001 and the yield was about 52%. Again, they have improved the product this year.

It's almost as if they 'loose their recipe' from time to time and most seem to be guilty of this dilemma. Look at it like the bow manufacturers who have to 'take their turn' at limb problems. If you check the history, you'll find that almost every manufacturer has been 'in the barrel' at one time or another.

At the end of my posts you'll see a phrase that I use "Honesty - vital to long-term relationships/friendships." Some of my customers and especially those whomay not bemy customers hate my honesty, but it's an essential element to me.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Plus he has to stay loyal to his paying customers.
That's not it at all. He just loves to talk and tinker with this stuff. As mentioned, he's an engineer by trade. He has the equipment to build, improve and prototype all sorts of gadgets. Who can ever forget the "Fuzzy Finger".[8D][8D] I had one until he showed me the Muzzy. No telling how many of those Fuzzy Fingers he put on bows. He just likes to play with it and really knows so much about it it's almost at the anal retentive stage.[8D] I think the problem arouse when people from along ways off started crossing state lines to get to his shop and in the process passedmany of other dealers. He was told to tone it down. He gets bows shipped in from the far side of the country(Calif, Florida andVermont)to play with. He used to share all his insites and tests results as others do, but he was singled out and told not to be pushing his business. He never really did, just shared his knowledge. SO, he just said he'd stay out of it entirely. He does take care of his customers and really doesn't see a need to "Stir the Pot".

P.S> So, I make a post that says you aren't coming on here,, and here you are. HUmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Its good to see Bill Winke taking time to listen to someone who is knowledgeable. Without a doubt Len has a wealth of archery knowledge and is kind enough to share some of it with us.

After reading the posted page to Mr. Winke's article there are a few other items where Len could have given Bill additional insight. Its great to have an inquisitive mind like Len Marsh to test the waters, provide checks and balances, and make sense of things for us.

Quick Reply: One of our Own mentioned in Bill Winke's article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.