Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you handle the down time? >

How do you handle the down time?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you handle the down time?

Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 PM

Default How do you handle the down time?

Well, this time of year gets rather......well.....mundane for me. Turkey season is over in a week and bow season doesn't start for 4 months. To keep in tune I shoot 3D shoots and such, but to be honest...it get's rather boring for me. Another thing I do is work part time at the shop building arrows. That at least keeps me involved and interested. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting my bow and when I start shooting I have to make myself stop. But shooting in the backyard and at the wall at the shop gets old. Other than 3D shoots, that's pretty much all I've got.

Do what do you guys do to keep focused during this down time?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you handle the down time?

Well lets see, when I am not hunting I am deployed, so that is my down time. After that when I am home I shoot in the afternoons on post at lunch, then evenings at home, 3D league and just couple times a week at the 3D range. Never get bored with it cause I got to squeeze it all in till the next time I am headed to places like hear cause I wont get a chance for a year. Never gets boring or mudane, cause I know it may end and I am off again! [8D]
Old 05-08-2006, 08:53 PM

To be honest, I'm stepping back from 3-D. Like you I find it hard to stay motivated for shooting foam To keep busy I do a couple things. We are lucky enought to have open season bear, so that keeps me going.
Passed up this guy last week

Scouting, like shedding keep me going from Feb to mid June.
small moose paddle

After mid june the alpine is open so I spend some time up there, and scouting old areas, checking on antler growth till the season opens.
Alpine last year

Kirby
Old 05-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

Shoot squirrels, rabbits, and blackbirds off of my 2nd floor sundeck. Someday I'll grow up, but for now it is fun sticking these pests with an arrow when the opportunity arrises.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 PM

Well their is always gophers/squirrels,rabbits etc in the woods to practice on. As mentioned above lots of sheds to be found then fishing. Don't always have to have my bow in my hand in stay interested in it. Just being in the woods/outdoors gets me reved up for any upcoming seasons.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

You oughta see my video collection...

I just ordered another $100 worth from Primos in one shot just a couple days ago.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Down time??? I have no down time. Ive got another 3 weeks of Turkey season and Ill be filming atleast one day a week for my buddy Walt. My buddy Marks season opened on Monday and now Im filming for him too. So there 2 or 3 days there and then tonight I sprayed an additional 2 acres for plots for a buddy Im helping do inprovement and taking his hunting to another level. Then Ive got to go to the lease in Southern Illinois sometime yet by the end of the month to work for 2 or 3 days and hang a few stands in spot that were hot last season. Also need to get to IA yet to meet up with a buddy to find additional ground in IL. Ill be heading to Southern IL atleast 1 more additional time in late summer to glass beans. On top of that I have a lease here in MI that needs another 5-8 stands hung since my son will be bowhunting this season. In between all that need to refletch arrows and do as much shooting as possible. So I dont have time for down time. Seems not enought time to get everything done and still spend a few Jet Ski weekends with the wife and kids.

Jason
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tinkering with my setup and practicing and experimenting.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 PM

hey greg i think i got u beat in the video part lol . i use my down by bowfishing and practice besides i will be huntin come mid aug here in lol .
Old 05-09-2006, 12:19 AM
usa
Fork Horn

down time is only available if you let it, arrowed a pig yesterday , turkey season goe's for 2 more wks another pig hunt next weekend then coyotes and scouting and fishing annnnnnd, oh GOD there just isn't enough daylite !!

Quick Reply: How do you handle the down time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.