Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Monster Bucks XIV >

Monster Bucks XIV

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Monster Bucks XIV

Old 05-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Monster Bucks XIV

Getting back to the video, how bout that hoss Jesse Moorehead shot? I love living in Illinois!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Ya gotta love how a discussion of the videos has turned into so much more...
Yeah, I do, but what I love more is when guys make a statement perceived (by them) to be fact. Thensomeone ask for them to prove it and the can not, so they take a shot at the person!

What is your favorite RealTreemoment in the videos? I have not watched them in awhile, but I have two clips I love.

1. I can not remember the guy’s name, but he was an Olympic gold medalist in Archery. I think they are in Utah or Idaho, and he has a nice buck out in front of him. He shoots right over his back, guy was just stunned. I met him about 4 years ago; I think his name is Adam Barr. He said Jordan told him 35 yds to the opening. Well Jordon goes by his steps; well he is a tall guy. So 35 steps for Jordanis like 27 yds. Why he claimed he shot over the deer back. He said they had to edit out the part where he said “F$%$%^^^ Jordan”

2. Jordan is in MI at the Sanctuary, tries to shoot this buck walking, and nails a tree dead center. Then looks back at his camera "I think I hit it in the shoulder, did you hear the loud smack"

Those are mine!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I should have said "Gray Coverall". I scanned this picture from last months issue of D&DH. Not sure if it's Realtree or Mossyoak, but they look the same anyway. Pretty much shows what I'm talking about. The point of camo is to break-up the human outline (which is what game associate with danger). I wouldn't say this camo is doing that, but that's just me!

Old 05-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

1st the quality of the pic is about 640 X 480 so anything will look bad.
3rd Having white tree behind you is not best cover, but it look like it worked for this guy!!!

I do agree with you, but not the 10 ft statement. I want the detail, my last 6 kills have been inside 10 yds!!

I think that is old TreeBark pattern, which is mostly gray
Old 05-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Lone Wolf, Im with youin that most of the camos out there really dont blend but make you a darkened outlined figure in the timber. I was out hunting yesterday and noticed my buddy had showed up and as he was walking towards meI kinda said to my self "man looks like hes wearing
black coveralls". As he walked up to me I noticed he had on Mossy Oakpants and a RealTree jacket. Man those camo patterns really make you look like something that shouldnt be there. Looked like a big black bear from about 40-50 yards away. Im thinking something with a more open pattern like ASAP or Preditor would be alot better. Ill be pawning off most of my RT and MO patterns FOR SURE!!!!!!!

Im finding that these top two camo companies are more interested in coming out with patterns that appeal more to our eyes(cool factor) than concealing us in the timber. Hey you guys wear what you want but I think Im going to put alot of my stuff on EBAY and get some Preditor or something like it.

Jason
Old 05-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Actually having the pic be 640x480 should help the camo work better not hinder it. If it were clearer it would be sharpening the lines more and bring out more of an outline. It is true that the hunter has surely picked the wrong tree to break him up but whos to say hes drawing down on a mature whitetail hopefully waiting for it to turn a slight bit more before releasing. That image is exactly what I saw my buddy looking like yesterday while out hunting. A BIG BLACK BLOB!!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

What would ASA look like then? Is there any camo that could help that guy.
Was your buddy in the woods setup or walkingdown a path. MossyOak is way to Dark, I used it in the ceder swamps when I hunt. Because of how dark it is. I will do a test this weekend.
If the picture was higher resolution it would look better(tell what type of camo he is wearing), no camo besides skyline could help the guy(IMO). Skylinewas one of my favorite also. To bad they stop making it. The camo has to fit the eviorment you are in!!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Are there camo pattern that would help him better than what he is wearing? YES!!! Are there camo patterns that would make him invisible? NO WAY!!!! I dont care what enviorment your in no camo will cover you in all cases. The problem is most MO and RT patterns are way to dark and closedfor most cases. Unless your in a tree that is so large that it completely shades out the hunters profile. But lets be honest most of us can find only one or two of these types of trees that are in a good spot on all our properties combined. Formost of our hunting we will be in trees that are about the same size dia. as a hub cap or slightly largerso an open pattern would be much better suited than a darker more closed pattern.

You can do all the testing this weekend you want but unless your some expert with setting perametersand have vast experiance for doing these types of tests how reliable can any testing your going to do be even close toreliable? Maybe your tests will show that this camo is good enough for you but what if I or othershave higher or more stringent standards as to how we expect our como to preform. I dont think that this issue is one that is easily solved but it is a proven fact that a more open pattern is an all around better choice for most instances. Notice I said most not all.

Jason
Old 05-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

The camo has to fit the eviorment you are in!!
Which means differnet camo for different enviorments, exact samething you said. Yes MO is to Dark, but RT Advantage brown and grey are great patters for larger trees(as you stated). Guess what I have all over my property? Very large Oak, walnut, hickory and maple trees. My point is no one can make a blanket statement about camo patters working or not. Each person has his or hers own standards, and hunt different locations. We really agree on this, and my test is the 10ft statement. At 10 ft does realtree look like a blob. I think I have enough knowledge to pull this one off[8D]

My standard of camo has produce 12 P & Y deer, but any hunter will tell you it was not my camo. It was mystand placement, something I work very hard on. It takes me about 3 to5 hours a stand(new location), and that is just setup. I am not counting the time I spend scounting the area. The tree has to be certain size, and have plenty of cover. I prefer tree with multiple trunks. I hunted out of this maple for the last 12 years. It had 4 big branches coming out of the trunk, I could have worn apurple Barney suit and not been seen. Sadlythe branch I put my stand in was struck by lighting. I am not even hunting the spot anymore, because there are not trees to hang a stand(meets my standards). I have shot a pile of deer there, shot my first big boy. Cover is way more important the any camo pattern.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is there any camo that could help that guy[?]
Yep, take a look below. While there is a partial tree trunk behind him, for the most part, he's sticking out into the open with nothing but open sky and branches behind him. This is probably the most effective pattern out there for breaking up the human outline. I know ASAT has its loyal fans, but in my opinion, it just simply can't do what Fall Grey can -- there's too much tan in it, even when you show it in black and white. Regardless -- either pattern is light years ahead in terms of concealment from Realtree OR Mossy Oak.

Quick Reply: Monster Bucks XIV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.