Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I have to hang up the compound so whats a good crossbow >

I have to hang up the compound so whats a good crossbow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I have to hang up the compound so whats a good crossbow

Old 04-28-2006, 06:57 PM

Default RE: I have to hang up the compound so whats a good crossbow

i heard good things about xcalibur
Old 04-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm so sorry to hear that. [] We should all remember to bowhunt and shoot every chance we get because it doesn't last forever. I don't know anything about crossbows but I'm glad you're going to keep bowhunting no matter how you have to do it. Good luck to you.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

qzq38b thanks for the kind words. I am having a tuff time accepting this for one I am young 32 years old and another I love to shoot compounds and most of all I love to hunt deer. I once said when I can't shoot a compound I'm done the past two years has changed that for me it doesn't matter how you hunt compound, gun or crossbow just get out there and have some fun. To be honest I was not being ethical in my eyes the past 2-3 years because I couldn't practice the way I should because of the pain but I didn't wound any deer but very well could have because of the lack of practice. My sons bow goes up to 40lbs and I can shoot is about 7 times before I have to stop and my tribute set at 49lbs I can shoot 5 time max. Crossbows in my state Missouri are only legal if you have a permit that you abtain through you Dr.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to have the same experiences as Bgfisher....though I think the Hortons are a step up from the Barnetts I would still preferrably recommend the Xcaliburs or Tenpoints. From personal preference and considering your price range I would seriously consider the Tenpoint TL-4 package (abbrev. may be a bit off). The package deal sells for right at $500 at most mail-order outlets like Cabelas. Construction and design are top notch though you give up a little speed compared to the other models. The Xcalibur models are all a bit too big and bulky for my tastes.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

excalibur
Old 05-01-2006, 05:18 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry25 i feel your pain, but i'm a few years older. Now that this has happened to you, now you know why we are fighting for the use of crossbows. I like your self, love the time spent in the woods, with friends and our kids. Get the best xbow you can afford, and get a good cocking aid you'll love it. Good hunting and fishing Rich K.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Go excalibur. I've shot a lot of different crossbows and models. The phoenix is an excellent choice.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:31 PM

BC25:

I'm going to try to help you understand the differences between the two crossbows that have been highly recommended - Excalibur and TenPoint.

The Xcalibur models are all a bit too big and bulky for my tastes.

The reason for this is that the Excalibur, being a recurve design, needs a longer power stroke to reach the speeds of their compound competitiors. And don't believe the differential in speeds advertised because the speeds are based on very different grains/pound arrows.

The longer power stroke necessitates a longer riser and longer limbs. This basically demandsthe need for a cocking device. Most peoplewith less than a 30" draw length can't reach the string to cock it without a cocking device. The other problem is that the end of the draw cycle is not offset by cam action - again necessitating use of a cocking device for most. Cocking devices are available for the Excalibur, but integration into the designis limited.

The TenPoint is a compound design; and, by this design is much smaller than the Excalibur. It has two different cocking devices that are built into the bow's stock, but can be cocked by hand a lot easier than the Excalibur. There is a built-in 'anti-dryfire' mechanism and the safety is automatically engaged during the cocking of the crossbow. The Excalibur does not have an 'anti-dryfire' mechanism and their safety must be engagedafter it's cocked.

Our testing has found both designs to be equally loud, but can be dampened with the right accessories.

Good luck with whichever one you purchase.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: rankbull

Try searching for a draw-loc, they go on your compound and turn it into a crossbow.
Draw locs aren't legal everywhere and won't solve his problem(the draw) , Indiana forbids use of them for example .
Old 05-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Draw locs aren't legal everywhere and won't solve his problem(the draw)...
They're legal in Texas, for anyone that wants to use one. From what I've seen of 'em ([:'(]),I really wishthe state would've gone ahead and legalized crossbows instead.

Well, actually, the crossbow is already legal for 11 months out of the year. Only the disabled can use crossbows in our nearly-a-month long bow season.

Quick Reply: I have to hang up the compound so whats a good crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.