HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting squirrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/140368-bowhunting-squirrel.html)

smokechaser 04-25-2006 06:40 PM

RE: BLUNTS for small game

never hunted for them but i have shot at them around camp for fun when i was a kid but you bed and break a lot of arrows doin it. lol

Red Hawk 04-26-2006 03:54 AM

I've gotten a few Mutant rats with my bow. I will admit, they are tough to hit and actually more tough then what they look. I've gotten only two so far. I haven't been able to shoot in nearly 6 months due to all the rain we have been having out here.

CharlesK 04-27-2006 03:10 AM

The best way I have found for shooting small game like squirrels(or soda cans) is with my recurve andplastic blungeon points. Squirrels or anything that stands not high off the ground, I just aim a little low if I am not sure about the shot (no sights) and the arrow slides on the ground and hits the squirrel. I think this is because the combo of the plastic tip and my 45# recurve is not pointed or powerful enough to stick right in the ground. Also, my friend tells me for rabbit the best tip is like a field point but it has 4 points out in front and when it lands it sticks with the fleching up in the air making the arrowsimple to find. I have not been able to find these type of points, if anyone knows where ora good way to make them please tell me.

burniegoeasily 04-27-2006 09:27 AM

RE: Bowhunting squirrel

Ive done it in the past. When I was younger, id make a bunch of arrows with Flu Flus and blunts. Id make my blunts out of 38 sp cartridges. Id use my old mamba recurve. Its lots of fun and quite challenging.

hardcorehunter 04-27-2006 02:37 PM

I shoot them all the time in my backyard with field tips off of my 2nd floor sundeck 15 ft up. On the ground shooting them at their level I would use a judo head so that you don't lose your arrow.

Westslope 04-28-2006 11:30 AM

ragin,

I hunt rocky mountain ground squirrells more than their treed cousins but have shot quite a few out of trees as well. I am not sure what type of equipment you are shooting to suggest the best heads. Here is what I find out of my Trykon and Axis ST arrows. Field points will pass right through making arrow retrieval sometimes impossible...had them stick into trees 20ft in the air. Same experience with broadheads although this is the fastest way to kill them. I tried plastic blunts but found they were not as accurate as I would like. We have to shoot 30yrds+ for the ground squirrells and the blunts just didn't do it. Plus the blunts tended to skip like a field point and go forever. The best I have found for small game (squirrells, rabbits, etc) has been the judo point. It makes quite a hole, induces great shock and is very easy to find after. PM me if you would like some pictures.

Greg / MO 04-28-2006 11:24 PM

beautiful pic, AK... looks like it belongs in a magazine.

The Rev 04-28-2006 11:45 PM

Hunting Squirrels and rabbits is a blast.. I go for a head shot using old grim reapers I've worn out, very challenging, but a lot of fun!

Northwind~ 04-29-2006 09:18 AM

I've hunted chipmunks and red squirrel with my bow a bit... It is quite possible. Chipmunks are pretty small but I was surprised at what I could hit with my longbow. It is fun though I must say.