HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Senior Project Essay (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/140367-senior-project-essay.html)

Washington Hunter 04-21-2006 10:45 PM

Senior Project Essay

I have an excellent teacher at my school. He has been hunting with rifles and shotguns for years, and when I mentioned to him that I hunt with a bow, he got an idea. My senior project is all about archery. He went out and purchased a bow yesterday and the main portion of my project is teaching him how to shoot it accurately enough to hunt with it this fall. Along with it, I have to do some essays and whatnot, and this is the first of them. I thought you all might enjoy it, so I decided to post it here.

Enjoy;

[align=center]Brotherhood of the Bow[/align][align=center][/align][align=left]As I set my bow down on the hanger above my head, I realized that I couldn't let go. Not because I had just caught a sudden movement at the treeline in front of me, not because I heard the tell-tale snap of a twig announcing the approach of an animal. No, I soon came to the realization that sometime in the last three hours my glove had frozen to the grip of my bow. Icicles formed on the bill of my hat as I struggled to remove my hand from the frozen prison that my glove had become. Once free, I lowered my bow to the icy ground below and made a shaky walk back to the truck to unthaw.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left] It is times like these that often cause me to question my sanity. What is it that draws me back to the woods every fall and keeps me perched high in the trees, motionless, silent, and unrelenting for hours on end? Maybe it's the anticipation of all the hard work I put in during the summer finally paying off with a nice trophy for my wall, meat for my freezer. Perhaps it's the rush of adrenaline that courses through my body and causes me to shake uncontrollably when I catch a glimpse of an antler screened by brush. No, I think that it is something deeper than that, something nearly beyond description.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left] I believe that it is the tradition that keeps me going back year after year, season after season. It's being a part of something that my ancestors have been doing for hundreds of years. It is the feeling that I'm walking some sort of predetermined path that was instilled in me when these ancients first picked up a bow and arrow and used them to feed their families. No, it isn't about the sport, or the killing, or the bloodshed. It isn't about bragging rights or being able to tell stories so amazing that they seem almost unbelievable. It's about taking part in something that is bigger, much bigger, than any one person, something that has been taking place for centuries.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left] Although the equipment and techniques may have evolved over the years, one thing remains the same; we're all a part of something sacred; the brotherhood of the bow. Though the leaves may change color every fall, I know that because of this connection with my past, my participation in this yearly ritual will never change along with them.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Dan Watts-Messick[/align][align=left]April 21, 2006[/align]

Hikchick 04-21-2006 11:25 PM

RE: Senior Project Essay

Impressive!! I love your analogies and how you paint the picture of your experiences in words. You are very talented! I will be printing this off to share with our Bowhunter's Education class. They deserve to see the dedication and passion that bowhunting can bring to them! A+!!!

Rhody Hunter 04-22-2006 05:28 AM

good job sounds like a fun project keep us posted

Washington Hunter 04-22-2006 01:41 PM

Hikchick - Feel free to use this in any way you'd like! I had no idea that anyone would like it enough to want to use it for something like this. I feel honored.

Rhody - I'll be sure to do that. This project is awesome, I've had so much fun so far with it. This is probably the most excited I've been about a project for school in a long time.

Thanks for the kind words folks, they are really appreciated. I love to write and I love to hunt, being able to combine the two and share them with you makes me love them all that muchmore.

Happy hunting.

jamiebuck 04-22-2006 01:47 PM

awsome job, WH,that came out sweet;)