Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Idiot gun hunter... Jim Baker >

Idiot gun hunter... Jim Baker

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Idiot gun hunter... Jim Baker

Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Idiot gun hunter... Jim Baker

I just watched Jim Baker(the guy that used to be at NRA) shoot two animals in Africa. The guy has got to be the worlds worst shot. First one he blows the lower leg off the thing shooting from the shooting crotched sticks of all shooting sticks. It was a gemsbuck. this thing has achest cavity2 feet tall and he misses it at 100 yards. They walk up and find leg bones. They get some Jack Russle terriers to corral the thing so he can shoot it again. Then the next one, a heartabeast he almost shoots the brisket off on a broad side shot from the same sticks. He shoots and said, great hit... he's going down. SO you see this thing jogging away with blood all up the front end of him. He isn't going down anytime soon. Jim exclaims these African animals are tough. Well heck boy, of course they are when you miss all the vitals. He shoots another one in him, looked like a gut shot. He finally walks up on the thing and it's head is bobbing around. they get within 25 yards and it tries to get up. He still doesn't shoot. FInally he puts a third one in the poor critter and finishes it off. I've seen him before and he rarely makes what I'd say is a great shot. If he'd take off the dang sunglasses he might beable to see.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idiot gun hunter... Jim Baker

Lets take him rabbit hunting dave... "Hey go over there and kick that brush pile." "Boom!" "whoops"
Old 04-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dont even watch ant of these guys anymore
Old 04-21-2006, 04:11 AM
Dominant Buck

A fool is a fool no matter what weapon he happens to be using , and some folks aren't fit to hold a weapon of any kind .
Old 04-21-2006, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm happy that every shot you have ever taken on a game animal was perfectly placed so nobody can call you an idiot archery hunter. Couple that with not having any of your failures videoed and shown on television and you are doubly blessed.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

What a great hunter[8D] I cringe so much every time I watch a video of a gun kill that I spare myself the agony and refuse to watch them anymore.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

And these are the guys in the headlines. You would at least think they would know how to shoot! [:@]
Old 04-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coastie

titleAndStar(1632,0,false,false,"","")
Life Member

[align=center][/align]
I'm happy that every shot you have ever taken on a game animal was perfectly placed so nobody can call you an idiot archery hunter. Couple that with not having any of your failures videoed and shown on television and you are doubly blessed.
What up with that other than I get the feeling you are angry at something? Yes people do make mistakes from time to time, but it few and far between for the average ethical hunter. I agree with davidmil that he is a Idiot. When in the public it would be that much more inportant to make clean ethical kills.Weas hunters be it rifle or archery need torealize that hunters like him give us all a big black eye.Just this pastFebuary I was talking to awell known elk hunter and callerat the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundationelk camp (World Elk Calling Contest). I myself compeat so I was seeing the advice of previous world champs when I am introduced to this guy from Colorado. He is known as one of the best callers and has won worlds 4 timesbut he (as I found out later)is a very sore looser and sportsman and as a result he is no longer allowed to compeat. Right from the start he asked me if I was the typeof man tolay it all on the line and risk everything. I told him I don't follow and didn't get what he was trying to say. He then said well lets say this how far are you willing to take a shot at a elk when bowhunting. I say 40 yards is the max, and he says OK well then what if a trophy bull of a lifetime steps out at 60 or 70 yards your going to tell me you wouldn'ttake the chance and shoot at that animal just to be well known and be famous for killing a record bull? I flat out told him no I wouldn't because that is being risky and I would rather see and hunt that elk again a different day than to take a chance at wounding him. He said your joking right? I let him know that I felt that any hunter that does so is a slob hunter in my book and he should not be allowed to hunt. Well to make a long store short we got into a argument because he felt insulted and yet he admited that he took shots like that all the time and that he wouldn't settle for anything less than 6 point bull and that a successful hunter needs to take risks in order to be successful. He also admited that he hits bulls that he can't find about everyother year or sobut he knew few of them died. Istill get angry when I think about him or our conversation, he honetly didn't care about the well being of the animal he hunted. All he cared about was his manhood so to speak and that he needed to be successful and famousat any risk or cause to others or animals. Anyway my point is I feel that he is not alone in his quest, just watch the hunting channel for example, IMOyou see hunters taking unneeded risks just so they can be successful and have there name on the braging board. Long over are the days where a hunter on TV can just say well dang that old buck, bull or bear just got the best of me and it looks like I will be eating tag soup this year. I admit I get angry all the time when I see hunters taking stupid shots or you can see they haven't practced much but yet they always come up with the "It isn't my fault comment", like Jim Baker did when he blamed it on the animals being tough. I also think that a lot of famous hunters in the spotlight would even go as far a poaching if they thought they could get away with it. One that note Glen Berry (owner of Berry game calls, and another well knownelk caller)did do just that this past year, he hunted and shot a 6x6 bull elk in Idaho with a Montana tag just so he could have another successful hunt on film for his show on the outdoor channel. Thanks heavens he got caught!!!I could goon and on but I'll get off my soap box for now.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too saw that Jim Baker Africa hunt on OLN last night. It was pretty disgusting. I was watching it with my wife and I couldn't believe how bad that guy sucks with a rifle. They showed him shoot two different animals with a modern rifle, scope, and shooting sticks from within 150 yards. These are big targets, not like deer. The first three shots he took all missed the vitals (leg and brisket shots). Remember - these were perfect conditions. The animal was broadside, standing still grazing, with a guide telling you the yardage, with a modern rifle and scope and shooting sticks. His shots were nowhere near good shots - but every time he fired one he would say "OH that's a good shot - he's going down!" as the animal ran off at full speed obviously not mortally wounded. Then the two African guys would run back to the truck to get the dogs to find the wounded animal so this idiot could go up and blast it at point blank range. Afterward, Baker talks about how tough it is to bring down these big African game. I think a total rookie who's never shot a gun before could have done just as well as this guy.

I don't expect everyone to make a great shot every time but to go 0 for 3 while bragging what a great shot you made is ridiculous. And to show the animals suffering on TV while dogs pin it down for the 3rd follow up shot looks really bad for the people who are on the fence about hunting.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Me TOO

You would hope these "IDIOTS" that are in the public eye would be more proficient at their sport and with their weapons. An occasionalmi**** will happen, but that's all this guy has. And to compound it, he makes a terrible shot and says, great hit. He's hit hard. NOT!!! I stand by my label of "IDIOT". And then to have the gall to put it on video and TV. Of course the first word from his mouth when they finally cornered the critter, "What do you think he'll SCORE"? [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

Quick Reply: Idiot gun hunter... Jim Baker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.