HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hunting with a red dot scope on your bow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/14018-hunting-red-dot-scope-your-bow.html)

tribalscream 10-27-2002 09:14 AM

Hunting with a red dot scope on your bow?

I was just wondering if anyone here uses a red-dot scope on their hunting bow? I have only seen one used for indoor shooting. Pro's and Con's? Any info is appreciated.

Don K 10-27-2002 10:00 AM

RE: Hunting with a red dot scope on your bow?

My father has used one for years now. Its a red dot that stays within the scope and is not cast out like a laser. The reason he went to this is he can shoot with both eyes open and with his bi-focals on. I have not seen any problems with his since he has had it.

"Im not a guide, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently"

bogobble 10-27-2002 12:45 PM

I'd love to have one with about a 2x magnafacation on it.
my vision is not good at all!
I've heard good reports on the red dots on other forums.

daytona 500 winner- Ward Burton
go Cat-22

2eagles 10-27-2002 06:23 PM

A man shooting beside me at the outdoor range had one and big problems. The sun was going down over our shoulders, so there was a lot of light on/in his scope tube. He couldn't see the dot at all. I had to shade him with my hat so he could finish shooting. Jim

davidmil 10-27-2002 06:43 PM

I don't think you'd have to worry so much about SUN in the woods if your stand placement is proper...so it doesn't cast your shadow. I have two friends who have them on Xbows. They seem to work very well.

tribalscream 10-28-2002 04:36 AM

Thanks guys for the info! Now I just have to find out if they are legal in PA.

bogobble 10-28-2002 06:23 AM

that's my problem Tribalscream, their illegal in AR.
that is if their magnafied. a 1x is legal it has no magnafication.

daytona 500 winner- Ward Burton
go Cat-22

davidmil 10-28-2002 06:32 AM

I don't know how the exactly attach to a regular bow.... but I noticed one of my friends the other day. It had a wheel or knob he turned to dial in different distances. Kind of cool really. If you could mount the same type of apparatice on a regular bow it would be deadly. I'm a pins and peep kind of guy but some of these new toys are something. What will they think of next.

tribalscream 10-28-2002 07:53 AM

I was looking at this one at the Sportsmans Guide website. Compared to the prices of these at Cabelas it makes me wonder if it works?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/showa...&item_id=56375

BGfisher 10-28-2002 08:00 AM

Tribalscream, they're legal in Pa. Only sights that are not, to my knowledge, are lasers. The red-dot does not project a light on the animal so they're as legal as any other scope such as used on a rifle.
You can look them over, but I'd suggest one with no magnification so you can shoot with both eyes open. Otherwise you're sending the brain two different images. Brain can't do two things at one time. Also consider that looking through the tube cuts down on the amount of light transmission and limits your field-of-view.
Have you tried fiber-optics yet? Might be a better way to go. Most bright ones can be seen evern after legal shooting hours are up. I can actually see mine when I can't see where to aim on a deer due to darkness.
Just some thoughts to ponder. Good luck.