HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/139775-making-bag-targets-any-suggestions.html)

SCDeerSlayer 04-15-2006 09:14 PM

Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

[hr]

I am going to be making some field point bag targets. My plan is to use some old sheets, torn up t-shirts, old rags, and some shredded pillow stuffing. I am going to compress it really tight and put it inside some burlap that I am going to sew to make bags out of. I was thinking about 2ft by 2ft. Do you think that is big enough. Once I get the first one made and test it out i will be making some to sell so if you want one let me know. Give me a little time to test it out first though. I will let you know about prices later. All suggestions and thoughts welcome.
Thanks
Robbie[/align]

Mudstump 04-15-2006 09:41 PM

RE: Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

I used a bunch of pillow stuffing in a 50 lb feed bag. I condensed it inbetween two cardboard slieves. It works great. Once and a while pull it down and step on it to reshape the target.

dabowhunter 04-15-2006 09:53 PM

I would not recommend burlap. I have used it to patch over old target bags and it gets chewed up really fast with just field points

SCDeerSlayer 04-15-2006 09:53 PM

I have a couple of bags of shredded pillow stuffing thatI am going to put in there with the other stuff. Thanks for the reply and Happy Easter.
Robbie

SCDeerSlayer 04-15-2006 09:54 PM

Was your burlap tight knit or loose knit?

10 point shooter 04-16-2006 08:24 PM

Just tryed to post would not accept it
What happen.

10 point shooter 04-16-2006 08:34 PM

Been there done that.
Used a toe sack, potato sack, burlap bag, stuffed with scrap material from a jogging shirt factory. If you live down south cotton woks great too, if you can get it after its been gined ( seeds removed). Just stuff the material in the bag and stitch it up, know need for compression. Will stop any arrow, can remove them with two fingers, people just can't believe how easy it is to remove the arrows. Just finished practicing using one.
The burlap seems to role out of the way of the field tip, a couple of rubs and the holes dissapear. Practice with field points, fine tune broad heads, then just drop the old cut up bag into a new bag.
Straight burlap material works, but not as good as the bags.

SCDeerSlayer 04-16-2006 08:46 PM

OK thanks I didn't even think about cotton. Man we got that by the truckloads down here. Thanks for the suggestions.
Thanks
Robbie

EricH4964 04-17-2006 02:14 PM

If you are set on making your own targets, have you thought about compressing strips of cardboard between two pieces of plywood? I made one once like that and it didn't work bad. The price was right. Take two pieces of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood, about 24-30 inches long and 6-8 inches wide. Drill 1/2 inch holes in each end of each piece of plywood for a threaded rod to fit through. Put a nut and washers on the end the rod and slip one piece of plywood over the rod. Cut strips of cardboard the same side as the plywood and slip them over the threaded rod. Once you have it as big as you want it, put the top piece of plywood on over the threaded road and tighten it down with washers and nuts. Not the greatest target, but if you don't want to drop $60 on a new one, it serves the purpose.

quiksilver 04-17-2006 02:21 PM

I stuffed an old duffel bag with old clothes/blankets/towels/rags. It works beautifully. The duffel bag was one of those big rectangular ones, with the cardboard square in the bottom. It stays in nice shape. I wedged cardboard around the sides to help it keep its shape, so it stands on its end without needing to be propped up.

Cost: $0.

The front of the bag keeps getting ripped open from my muzzy practice blades, but that's nothing a few rows of duct tape won't fix.

bradisthebest 04-17-2006 04:09 PM

I would also suggest using newspaper inside a feed bag that is what i use and it works good.

Kybuckhunter 04-17-2006 08:40 PM

Make a bag target out of old rags stuffed in a bag then tie it up and take it to the landfill. Next go spend the money on a Morrel bag target and forget about the hassle. They will last a long time.

Straightarrow 04-18-2006 06:16 AM

I've made them many ways, and have found out a few things. Feed bags are too small to make good targets. Arrows don't remove as easily from compressed cardboard. Some fillings tend to grab arrow tips and make removal a pain.

What I've found works best, isn't the absolute cheapest, but it works very well. I purchase replacement covers for the Morrell targets. I then line the edges with 1/4" plywood. This is what gives the bag it's good form and flat front. I stuff it with shrink wrap and plastic bags. This will not catch on any arrow tips. I pack it real tight and the place the last piece of 1/4" plywood on top before closing the bag. I now have a target that looks just like a new Morrell, and works just as well, for the cost of the cover. I wouldn't bother with the replacement cover if I could find a bag that size, but I haven't been able to.

burniegoeasily 04-18-2006 06:50 AM

Ive never made one, but I hear old plastic bags work great. The bags you get at Walmart and the likes. Ive heard of people making them like straightarrow does, except they use carpet instead of ply wood. Like Ive said, ive never made one, so this is all hear say.

Champlain Islander 04-18-2006 07:02 AM

I have made them and they work great. I go to the Green Mountain Coffee Roastersplant and get the free burlap bags the beans come in. They are about3' square. I put one inside the other to get a double layer and then stuff the insides with old cloths, rags, mattress stuffing etc.I stitch the top up and you have a target that will last a long while and the arrows are simple to pull out. Once in a while I take the target and stomp on it both front and back topack it and that takes care of the sweet spots around the center.It is important to let it dry out after a rain so I usually put a top over it which I make out of old plywood and set it on an old pallet so the bottom stays dry.

MA Jay 04-18-2006 07:10 AM

We made our own targets for our indoor league, and they get hammered and hold up real well.

The basic plans for asimple home version would be to frame a wooden cube 2' X 2' x 2' . The 2 sides and bottom as you are looking at it screw on 1/2" plywood. On the back side, staple chicken wire. Leave the top of the box open for stuffing with rags. For the front we have used a 2' X 2' of foam and we have used cardboard. We like the cardboard better for scoring targets and it's cheap and easy to replace once it gets shot up bad. The foam lasts way longer and is weather friendly. You can shoot a foam fronted, rag stuffed cube like this 10,000 times. Since the foam is square, you can flip it around or rotate it to get maximum life out of it. Pulling broadheads out of rags can be a pain sometimes, but since the top is open you can fish them out pretty easy. With field points, it is a 2 finger pull out. The good thing about this kind of target is every few months you either stuff a few more rags in or just mix them around and the arrows stop penetrating as deeply.

idahoelkinstructor 04-18-2006 09:17 AM

IMO used shrink rap wadded up and stuffed into a burlap bag works awesome. It stops arrows on contact and is a easy two finger arrow removeal. I have a huge rolled up ball thats about 5 feet in diamenter in my back yard. Each spring I pull out a new roll of shrink rap and give it a new wrapping. It works so awesome for fieldpoints but never ever shoot broadheads into it. They don't come out unless I pull the ball apart.

KodiakArcher 04-18-2006 11:02 AM

I'd avoid any type of fabric or cotton in any area that gets any quantity of rain. I prefer plastics and the best I've found are old tarps (with the grommets cut off) stuffed into a plastic feed bag. They'll stop anything, even when wet, and they don't rot.