Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions >

Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

Old 04-15-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

[hr]

I am going to be making some field point bag targets. My plan is to use some old sheets, torn up t-shirts, old rags, and some shredded pillow stuffing. I am going to compress it really tight and put it inside some burlap that I am going to sew to make bags out of. I was thinking about 2ft by 2ft. Do you think that is big enough. Once I get the first one made and test it out i will be making some to sell so if you want one let me know. Give me a little time to test it out first though. I will let you know about prices later. All suggestions and thoughts welcome.
Thanks
Robbie[/align]
Old 04-15-2006, 09:41 PM

Default RE: Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

I used a bunch of pillow stuffing in a 50 lb feed bag. I condensed it inbetween two cardboard slieves. It works great. Once and a while pull it down and step on it to reshape the target.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not recommend burlap. I have used it to patch over old target bags and it gets chewed up really fast with just field points
Old 04-15-2006, 09:53 PM

I have a couple of bags of shredded pillow stuffing thatI am going to put in there with the other stuff. Thanks for the reply and Happy Easter.
Robbie
Old 04-15-2006, 09:54 PM

Was your burlap tight knit or loose knit?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:24 PM

Just tryed to post would not accept it
What happen.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:34 PM

Been there done that.
Used a toe sack, potato sack, burlap bag, stuffed with scrap material from a jogging shirt factory. If you live down south cotton woks great too, if you can get it after its been gined ( seeds removed). Just stuff the material in the bag and stitch it up, know need for compression. Will stop any arrow, can remove them with two fingers, people just can't believe how easy it is to remove the arrows. Just finished practicing using one.
The burlap seems to role out of the way of the field tip, a couple of rubs and the holes dissapear. Practice with field points, fine tune broad heads, then just drop the old cut up bag into a new bag.
Straight burlap material works, but not as good as the bags.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:46 PM

OK thanks I didn't even think about cotton. Man we got that by the truckloads down here. Thanks for the suggestions.
Thanks
Robbie
Old 04-17-2006, 02:14 PM

If you are set on making your own targets, have you thought about compressing strips of cardboard between two pieces of plywood? I made one once like that and it didn't work bad. The price was right. Take two pieces of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood, about 24-30 inches long and 6-8 inches wide. Drill 1/2 inch holes in each end of each piece of plywood for a threaded rod to fit through. Put a nut and washers on the end the rod and slip one piece of plywood over the rod. Cut strips of cardboard the same side as the plywood and slip them over the threaded rod. Once you have it as big as you want it, put the top piece of plywood on over the threaded road and tighten it down with washers and nuts. Not the greatest target, but if you don't want to drop $60 on a new one, it serves the purpose.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I stuffed an old duffel bag with old clothes/blankets/towels/rags. It works beautifully. The duffel bag was one of those big rectangular ones, with the cardboard square in the bottom. It stays in nice shape. I wedged cardboard around the sides to help it keep its shape, so it stands on its end without needing to be propped up.

Cost: $0.

The front of the bag keeps getting ripped open from my muzzy practice blades, but that's nothing a few rows of duct tape won't fix.

Quick Reply: Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.