Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions >

Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Making bag targets.... Any Suggestions

I would also suggest using newspaper inside a feed bag that is what i use and it works good.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make a bag target out of old rags stuffed in a bag then tie it up and take it to the landfill. Next go spend the money on a Morrel bag target and forget about the hassle. They will last a long time.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:16 AM

I've made them many ways, and have found out a few things. Feed bags are too small to make good targets. Arrows don't remove as easily from compressed cardboard. Some fillings tend to grab arrow tips and make removal a pain.

What I've found works best, isn't the absolute cheapest, but it works very well. I purchase replacement covers for the Morrell targets. I then line the edges with 1/4" plywood. This is what gives the bag it's good form and flat front. I stuff it with shrink wrap and plastic bags. This will not catch on any arrow tips. I pack it real tight and the place the last piece of 1/4" plywood on top before closing the bag. I now have a target that looks just like a new Morrell, and works just as well, for the cost of the cover. I wouldn't bother with the replacement cover if I could find a bag that size, but I haven't been able to.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive never made one, but I hear old plastic bags work great. The bags you get at Walmart and the likes. Ive heard of people making them like straightarrow does, except they use carpet instead of ply wood. Like Ive said, ive never made one, so this is all hear say.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I have made them and they work great. I go to the Green Mountain Coffee Roastersplant and get the free burlap bags the beans come in. They are about3' square. I put one inside the other to get a double layer and then stuff the insides with old cloths, rags, mattress stuffing etc.I stitch the top up and you have a target that will last a long while and the arrows are simple to pull out. Once in a while I take the target and stomp on it both front and back topack it and that takes care of the sweet spots around the center.It is important to let it dry out after a rain so I usually put a top over it which I make out of old plywood and set it on an old pallet so the bottom stays dry.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:10 AM

We made our own targets for our indoor league, and they get hammered and hold up real well.

The basic plans for asimple home version would be to frame a wooden cube 2' X 2' x 2' . The 2 sides and bottom as you are looking at it screw on 1/2" plywood. On the back side, staple chicken wire. Leave the top of the box open for stuffing with rags. For the front we have used a 2' X 2' of foam and we have used cardboard. We like the cardboard better for scoring targets and it's cheap and easy to replace once it gets shot up bad. The foam lasts way longer and is weather friendly. You can shoot a foam fronted, rag stuffed cube like this 10,000 times. Since the foam is square, you can flip it around or rotate it to get maximum life out of it. Pulling broadheads out of rags can be a pain sometimes, but since the top is open you can fish them out pretty easy. With field points, it is a 2 finger pull out. The good thing about this kind of target is every few months you either stuff a few more rags in or just mix them around and the arrows stop penetrating as deeply.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO used shrink rap wadded up and stuffed into a burlap bag works awesome. It stops arrows on contact and is a easy two finger arrow removeal. I have a huge rolled up ball thats about 5 feet in diamenter in my back yard. Each spring I pull out a new roll of shrink rap and give it a new wrapping. It works so awesome for fieldpoints but never ever shoot broadheads into it. They don't come out unless I pull the ball apart.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:02 AM

I'd avoid any type of fabric or cotton in any area that gets any quantity of rain. I prefer plastics and the best I've found are old tarps (with the grommets cut off) stuffed into a plastic feed bag. They'll stop anything, even when wet, and they don't rot.