Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 SE Ohio deer hunters....Need your help! >

SE Ohio deer hunters....Need your help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SE Ohio deer hunters....Need your help!

Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 PM

Default SE Ohio deer hunters....Need your help!

[hr]

I need alittle help. I have hunted SE Ohio the last 3 seasons. I recently got permission to hunt a big chunck of land on the border of Muskingum and Morgan Co. (between Zanesville and McConnelsville). We walked some of the property this past weekend. Seen some good sign. Seen no deer and found no sheds. It had alittle of everything, small creeks, oaks, and alot of thick and I mean thick cover. Very hilly. This land has no crops. It also has cows and horses on this land. I know that Muskingum is one of the better counties, but has anyone or do you know of anyone that has hunted this area? What can I expect as far as seeing deer and big bucks. I know it is very hilly so I need to watch the wind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/align][/align]James D[/align]
Old 04-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SE Ohio deer hunters....Need your help!

I've hunted S.E, Central and the N.W. there's deer there and it's a good time to be scouting and setting stands. Take your best shot and be ready to move. I'm happy if I take a deer in a new area the first year, but expect to take 2 seasons to get some things figured out. The 4th year according to Mike Easton is the year of big rewards, all though he was reffering to hunting on public ground.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Let me know I will be down Nov 1st to help. LOL

I fond when I go to a new area I go to the local proshop. I ask question about what time do they start seeing big deer. I believe when the big boys come out is when the rut truly is in full swing. To many folks see little bucks running around early in the season, and ar convince the rut is here.I also ask about the health of the deer, size(weight), and successrates for the local hunters.Then I check the record books for tha county tosee what others have taken. I know people will flame me and say Trophey hunter, but I do itso I know whatkind of bucks are in the area. If I am in a county with a bunch of 160's on the book then I will pass a 120's. If the county does not have alot bigger bucks, well then I will take a 120 class. All matters on what YOU want. May help may not, good luck.

Chuck Adams does the samething, I read couple of his books.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: ghemry

Let me know I will be down Nov 1st to help. LOL

I fond when I go to a new area I go to the local proshop. I ask question about what time do they start seeing big deer. I believe when the big boys come out is when the rut truly is in full swing. To many folks see little bucks running around early in the season, and ar convince the rut is here.I also ask about the health of the deer, size(weight), and successrates for the local hunters.Then I check the record books for tha county tosee what others have taken. I know people will flame me and say Trophey hunter, but I do itso I know whatkind of bucks are in the area. If I am in a county with a bunch of 160's on the book then I will pass a 120's. If the county does not have alot bigger bucks, well then I will take a 120 class. All matters on what YOU want. May help may not, good luck.

Chuck Adams does the samething, I read couple of his books.
Thats what i was hoping to find out here. I wanted to know if this area does produce 120" deer and bigger on regular basis. Or is it hit and miss. I don't feel I'm going to be hard pressed to see deer (bucks and does) but hoping to see the bigger bucks. I shot my first P&Y buck last year about 60 miles from this land but only have seen 3 bucks that would make book (while hunting) in the area I hunt now. Was hoping to be able to see more book deer on this new property. What a rush when you see big bucks! Thanks for any more info.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:09 AM

i hunted meigs co last year and its in se ohio and for only hunting there 8 days in the rut i was impreessed! i was holding out for a py so i passed a good # of nice bucks that i would have killed in most areas in md were i live!!! the weather last year during are hunt was terriable warm rainy most of the week!!one of my guys did get a nice 8pt maybe 110 py maybe.i was preety happy for what we sawunder the conditions!! but that area around meigs athens co are pruducing some amlsome deer!!!!!!