Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Penetrating the Shoulder Blade >

Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

I guess everybody's definition of the shoulder bone is different. I have yet to see the rig and setup that will pass through the ridge of bone that runs the lengthof the scapula on a mature bucklet alone two. Now hit on either side of that boney ridgeand it could be a different story. That part of the scapula can be penetrated.

Even then, there are so many variables that one could miss bone entirely and still not get a pass through with 70 pounds of KE on a mature animal-I have personally witnessed it on more than one occasion.

Last year on two of the fourdoes I shot I was unable to get a complete passthrough. I am shooting a 70# Bowtech Allegiance (well tuned) with a 445 grain arrow going around 270 fps, tipped with 125 grain (included in the 445 figure)slick trick. Though both were mature does neither of these two were particularly big. On the other hand I have blown completely through a full grown bull elk with this setup andones with lesser KE(minus the broadhead. I was shooting a different broadhead on the elk setup and I don't believe the broadhead mattered on the does anyway) on more than one occasion.

Again just so many variables that can affect the outcome...

Old 04-06-2006, 07:55 AM

How much kinetic energy does it take to consistently penetrate the shoulder blade of a deer?

Don't care what bow ya got, don't care what poundage you got, don't care what arrow ya use. your not going to achive the above statement with a bow and arrow. Your key word is consistently.

Your are always going to get inconsistent results when you mess with the shoulder bone of any animal. Too many variables from shot to shot, anything can and does happen.

it is best to discover why your shots are going there, I know your not aiming there, and correct it.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Yes shoulder blades offer much protection for deer & elk sized animals, but they aren't bullet proof! (pun intended) There are setups that will "consistently" blow through the shoulder plate or scapula of both deer & elk. I say this because we've done it many times. I've also seen heads fail in their feeble attempts as well.

Most hunters use popular off the shelf fixed heads & many use mechs. You're limited in their use. Those heads do what they were built for, & do it well. Bone crushing penetration isn't one of them!

An arrow setup of 450grns & up tipped with a strong broadhead designed for such scapula type hits is what's needed.These are"worst case senario" setups! Heads like Grizzlies, Stingers, etc. will do the job well especially so on deer. The Silver Flame heads are best, they're designed for bone crushing penetration. 60lbs of KE & up, more is better, will blowthrough any part of a deer or elk. Be it leg shoulder or whatever!

The thing to remember is there's only certain angles or positions that you can hit here & penetrate that lead into the heart lung area. When faced with those angles & you accidentally crowd the shoulder you can be assured that your setup is designed to handle such encounters! I belive the new snufferss will also fit the bill with 60s KE & higher.

In the case of elk, you don't even have to crowd the shoulder at times, elk will dip down & back many times at the shot, putting the scapula right in line with your shot, Bummer! If shooting muzzys or TH or similar heads chances are you've crippled an animal & will not recover it! Been there done it! It's not a good feeling!

I'm not condoning shoulder shots, but crap happens, be prepared with a bone crushing setups!

Too, with enough KE & momentum, (that's the heavier setup) you will plow through those tough spots! Most bows today are well exceeding 60+# of KE.

My son shoots a recurve, he's shooting cedar shafts out ofhis 60# bow. The arrow wt is 625 grns, it was tipped with a 2-bladed swickey traveling at 175 fps. He shot a bull last year that I called in, I was standing 6-8' away at the shot, on his release the bull dropped down as I mentioned earlier that theydo at times, the shot caught him square in the scapula, it sounded like a bat hitting a tree, he did not intend for that to happen, it did though! The heavy arrow setup with the 2-bladed head blew through the scapula & caught both lungs! the bull was down in sec.

This isn't a first! Use the right setup & you'll be glad you did in those "worst case senario" situations. Don't worry aboiut losing a few fps in your setup with the extra wt!!--------Sure there's always variables, but put the odds in your favor with bone penetrating setups! Good Luck!-----ElkNut1

Old 04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: elknut1

Yes shoulder blades offer much protection for deer & elk sized animals, but they aren't bullet proof! (pun intended) There are setups that will "consistently" blow through the shoulder plate or scapula of both deer & elk. I say this because we've done it many times. I've also seen heads fail in their feeble attempts as well.

Most hunters use popular off the shelf fixed heads & many use mechs. You're limited in their use. Those heads do what they were built for, & do it well. Bone crushing penetration isn't one of them!

An arrow setup of 450grns & up tipped with a strong broadhead designed for such scapula type hits is what's needed.These are"worst case senario" setups! Heads like Grizzlies, Stingers, etc. will do the job well especially so on deer. The Silver Flame heads are best, they're designed for bone crushing penetration. 60lbs of KE & up, more is better, will blowthrough any part of a deer or elk. Be it leg shoulder or whatever!

The thing to remember is there's only certain angles or positions that you can hit here & penetrate that lead into the heart lung area. When faced with those angles & you accidentally crowd the shoulder you can be assured that your setup is designed to handle such encounters! I belive the new snufferss will also fit the bill with 60s KE & higher.

In the case of elk, you don't even have to crowd the shoulder at times, elk will dip down & back many times at the shot, putting the scapula right in line with your shot, Bummer! If shooting muzzys or TH or similar heads chances are you've crippled an animal & will not recover it! Been there done it! It's not a good feeling!

I'm not condoning shoulder shots, but crap happens, be prepared with a bone crushing setups!

Too, with enough KE & momentum, (that's the heavier setup) you will plow through those tough spots! Most bows today are well exceeding 60+# of KE.

My son shoots a recurve, he's shooting cedar shafts out ofhis 60# bow. The arrow wt is 625 grns, it was tipped with a 2-bladed swickey traveling at 175 fps. He shot a bull last year that I called in, I was standing 6-8' away at the shot, on his release the bull dropped down as I mentioned earlier that theydo at times, the shot caught him square in the scapula, it sounded like a bat hitting a tree, he did not intend for that to happen, it did though! The heavy arrow setup with the 2-bladed head blew through the scapula & caught both lungs! the bull was down in sec.

This isn't a first! Use the right setup & you'll be glad you did in those "worst case senario" situations. Don't worry aboiut losing a few fps in your setup with the extra wt!!--------Sure there's always variables, but put the odds in your favor with bone penetrating setups! Good Luck!-----ElkNut1
Yes Sir!!

0-3 on shoulder hits with Muzzy 125 grain 3 blade and light arrow.
3 years ago I switch(not on purpose)
Heavy arrow I just above 450 grains and Montec 125 broad head.
1-1 Deer in my avitor I shot right thru the blade went about 60 yds. Yes I shot this on purpose. I yelled at the deer(to get him to stop)and was looking up right at me at 10 yds qrt too a lot!! Was no "heat of the moment" I pulled the trigger knowing exactly what I was doing. In all honesty I then said a little prayrer, I know this is not a high % shot. I did get lucky, but I truly beleive my setup help me out a bunch.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:07 PM

With your KE output I wouldn't worry about it too much. A lot of variables could impact penetration in bone such as broadhead design, strength, arrow diameter, KE, shot distance, alertness of the game animal, etc. It's hard to say exactly how any arrow will perfrom in a game animal from one shot to the other.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

shoulder blade isnt that tought to go through its the thick part of the bone that will likely stop the arrow. i shot three deer one year through both blades with my rocket steelheads but ive seen my brother (hes always had problems hitting the shoulder) stick deer in the solid bone with a 70lb bow and muzzys and the arrow goes no further then the broadhead and youll know it its a real loud crack.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all I will tell you that I am a novice. This past season was my first w/ bow. Have hunted w/ muzzleloader and rifle for almost ten yrs. Hunt in Manitoba for whitetails. I initially had alot of questions about the killing power of my bow, or any for that matter.... I had used .50 cal., 30-06 and they have lots of energy. How can this little stick kill I asked my hunting partner?.... the bow has been used for over 2000 yrs, i think we'vegot it down he says. I trudge off and sit in my stand, where I had missed a nice doe the week B4. A nice young buck comes in, w/in my new personal limit of 20yds.... hit him a little far back. I go back and seek theaid of my hunting partner...... 2hrs laterwe went in and found my buck piled up, no more than 80yds away from where he was hit. I had heard him go down but b/c of thelocation and angle of the hit I wanted to give him time.
Spring is here and Iwas out in the yard shooting........nailed a shoulder froma 4x4 (no basket) that I shot during rifle season last season onto my backing........ 53lbs draw wieght on my pro sport wasp. Didn't matter where I nailed it.... my target points drove through the half frozen shoulder blades. I then made burger. I really didn't want to use my broadheads.... Sonic 100gr b/c i don't think the bladestake the impact too lightly. Seems evrytime I hit a deer I need to replace the blades. Persoanlly I would say w/ a close range shot, you should be able to penetrate the shoulder. But does the increased diameter of the broadhead make it more difficult to penatrate?

Old 04-09-2006, 07:23 AM

I think another factor that is often overlooked is the individual make up of deer. Simply put, some deer are tougher than others. The same way one person may have larger bones, and tougher ligaments, than another, holds true with animals. I am amazed at how quick one deer will expire with a marginal shot, while another goes very far one a perfect one. My rule of thumb is to ALWAYS place my pin on the spot that will give me the best crack at taking out both lungs, and or heart. The equiptment available today is just too good to not strive for this....JMHO