HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Just looking to start out bow hunting... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/137360-just-looking-start-out-bow-hunting.html)

varcos 03-22-2006 08:24 PM

Just looking to start out bow hunting...

Hey all,

I have just been thinking of giving bow hunting a shot for a while. I have been looking on the internet for a few online stores as to if they could possibly give me an idea as to what size bow i would need. Is there anyone that would be able to help me?

If it helps, I am 6'3" and sittin around 200lbs. So i am assuming that i would need a bow with a bigger then average.... draw length? I think thats what the gentleman called it.

Let me know if anyone on this forum is around the same size as I and could give me some tips to find out a bow that is best suited to me. Thanks!

SuperRedHawk 03-22-2006 08:40 PM

RE: Just looking to start out bow hunting...

Welcome to the forum, V! Check out http://www.huntersfriend.com/. It's a great site. Go to the bow selection guide, it explains just about everything, and they have some great packages too.
p.s. Just about everyone here can tell you that you're gonna love bowhunting!

mobow 03-22-2006 08:42 PM

OK, here is the VERY best advice you'll get, and not because it's me giving it. Go to your local pro shop and be fitted for draw length and such. Hey, while you're at it, shoot some bows and see what you like. Yes, you may indeed need a longer DL, but you may not. Only a good tech will be able to tell you for sure.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forums! We look forward to hearing from you!!

Finch 03-22-2006 08:48 PM

Welcome to the forums!:D:D:D

You have come to the right place. I think that once you give bowhunting a shot you will not look back. Trust me.

Your best bet would be to go to your local hunting shop and ask them about the different kinds of bows and their advantages/disadvantages. There you will be able to shoot some and get an idea of what fits you better. Some bows allow you to adjust the drawlength yourself. They can measure your drawlength at the shop and figure that out for you. A way to estimate your drawlength is to measure your wingspan and divide that number by 2.5.

Well, I hope you find what you are looking for. Again, welcome to the site. :)

MilDotMaster 03-22-2006 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: varcos

Hey all,

I have just been thinking of giving bow hunting a shot for a while. I have been looking on the internet for a few online stores as to if they could possibly give me an idea as to what size bow i would need. Is there anyone that would be able to help me?

If it helps, I am 6'3" and sittin around 200lbs. So i am assuming that i would need a bow with a bigger then average.... draw length? I think thats what the gentleman called it.

Let me know if anyone on this forum is around the same size as I and could give me some tips to find out a bow that is best suited to me. Thanks!
RUN!!! just kidding.

I'm 6.5 210 pounds and have a 31 inch draw length. String touchesvery tip of my nose with my bow arm bent. If your body is proportioned, my guess is you will be very close to a 30 inch draw length. Some good advice has already been given, enjoyyour new hobby!:)

TeeJay 03-22-2006 09:44 PM

LOL....Do yall remember 15 years ago when we were all a 30+" draw!

MilDotMaster 03-22-2006 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

LOL....Do yall remember 15 years ago when we were all a 30+" draw!
HAHA! Does this mean I'm going to shrink???:D

KS_NonTypical 03-22-2006 10:04 PM

Welcome to the forums! and to a great sport

Davoh 03-24-2006 10:55 AM

Height and Weight Mean little when it comes to draw length. I'm 6'3 and well over 300 lbs but I'm only a 29. Maybe 29.5

Physically go to a Pro Shop and get measured. That'sonly rightway for a novice to get fitted. Even if you have a friend who's an old hand, the pro shop will ask you the right questions about how a bow feels and how to fit it in general.

BEARBUSTER66 03-24-2006 07:43 PM

Welcome!! This is the place for help! a lot of good people here, one thing i always suggest is once your sized properly shoot as many different brands as you can , low end bows and the high end stuff too! just so you see the difference in the brands/types. but most of all ,shoot what feels good to you!! good luck!!