HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/136941-snakes-getting-stand-before-dawn.html)

LouisianaTomkat 03-19-2006 01:01 PM

Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

Another question of mine as a new bowhunter is about the good old snakes in fall. How do you guys deal with getting in your stand before daylight and leaving out after dark? Do you wear snake protection boots, gaiters, etc. or just carry a bright light and try to be careful? I know "another newbie question", but hey, if you never ask, you may never know. After all, I don't know about you guys but cottonmouths, copperheads, and rattlers are not taken lightly by myself. Thanks for the input guys.

LT

Oneshot7 03-19-2006 01:33 PM

RE: Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

run like &^($ and hope you dont get neaer one least a rattler gives u a lil warn

bigbulls 03-19-2006 01:39 PM

Thought never even crossed my mind.

It's not like they are there every step of the way.

I assume you live in Lousiana? Unless you are hunting in swamp or very close to water the cottonmouths won't be abundant at all. While some consider them to be "man killers" they aren't going to just seek you out and bite you unless you step on them or harass them in some way. And if I were hunting in Lousiana in swamp land I would be far more concerned about the gators. ;)

Copperheads are not going to kill a grown human unless you pick it up and let it repeatedly bite you. Besides that a copperhead is a very shy snake and will turn tail and run if given the slightest chance. The chances of seeing a copperhead are fairly remote. They are not a creature that likes to be seen and are usually under rocks, logs, leaves, etc...

Rattle snakes while certanly more of a concern than the other two will not just bite you unless provoked in some way. Even the biggest of rattlers will try to get away from you if you just leave them alone.

I have handled hundreds of cottonmouths and rattle snakes and several copperheads and I was never in danger of being bitten unless I was handling them. I have stepped within a foot of rattle snakes and cottonmouths before and none of them attempted to bite me.unless I actually stepped on one.

Alex The Hawk 03-19-2006 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Thought never even crossed my mind.

It's not like they are there every step of the way.

I assume you live in Lousiana? Unless you are hunting in swamp or very close to water the cottonmouths won't be abundant at all. While some consider them to be "man killers" they aren't going to just seek you out and bite you unless you step on them or harass them in some way. And if I were hunting in Lousiana in swamp land I would be far more concerned about the gators. ;)

Copperheads are not going to kill a grown human unless you pick it up and let it repeatedly bite you. Besides that a copperhead is a very shy snake and will turn tail and run if given the slightest chance. The chances of seeing a copperhead are fairly remote. They are not a creature that likes to be seen and are usually under rocks, logs, leaves, etc...

Rattle snakes while certanly more of a concern than the other two will not just bite you unless provoked in some way. Even the biggest of rattlers will try to get away from you if you just leave them alone.

I have handled hundreds of cottonmouths and rattle snakes and several copperheads and I was never in danger of being bitten unless I was handling them. I have stepped within a foot of rattle snakes and cottonmouths before and none of them attempted to bite me.unless I actually stepped on one.
If you hunt south carolina you might rethink About copperheads, in 40 years of hunting I have only come accross a few rattlers and I must say copperheads are more aggressive there ,besides the venom is the same as Cottonmouths so don't be so light on them.
But I agree snakes are not going to seek you out, but use caution anytime your in the woods and walking to the stand just carry a good light.

bigbulls 03-19-2006 02:26 PM

I have lived and hunted in Northern Virginia, South and Eastern Texas, Colorado, Alabama, Florida and the only place I have seen and been able to handle copperheads is in Virginia.

Copperheads are definetly more abundant in The Carolinas than down in Texas or Louisiana where the cottonmouth is very abundant.

Yes copperheads and cottonmouths have the same type of venom (hemotoxin). However the copperheads venom is not as toxic as a cottonmouths and do much less damage to a humans body. If bitten one still needs to get medical attention though.

aeroslinger 03-19-2006 02:26 PM

I've got some camo gaiters that I used to wear almost every time out. Lots of rattlers in Texas. Didn't wear them as much last year. When I get some new boots I may get some snake proof. I don't really view them as needed but kind of nice to have.

cardeer 03-19-2006 02:41 PM

never worry about it

Shootstuff4570 03-19-2006 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

never worry about it
i dont worry about it either.

The Rev 03-19-2006 02:52 PM

I live in Texas, and wear boots almost all the time... I always buy snake boots, so I never have to contend with that issue... Unless one drops out of a tree, I am fine.:D

The Rev 03-19-2006 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I live in Texas, and wear boots almost all the time... I always buy snake boots, so I never have to contend with that issue... Unless one drops out of a tree, I am fine.:D

Here's a good example, they don't have to be ugly...

LouisianaTomkat 03-19-2006 04:17 PM

I don't know if any of you have ever hunted central Louisiana, but let me give you a little firsthand insight. Copperheads ARE abundant. Cottonmouths ARE abundant. Rattlesnakes NOT quite as abundant, yet still a concern(just not mad at the world like the ones mentioned above). I agree the rattlesnake is not as easily provoked as others as stated by someone else here. One that you seem to have forgotten was the Pygmy or Ground rattler as we call them. They ARE abundant here as we even find them in the yard from time to time. No, I don't live in the swamp or even near one. Just not that many swamps this for north. I have seen cottonmouths firsthand almost bite my brother going to a deerstand before good daylight. Seen copperheads reaction when stepped on. Not Pretty. Never been bitten, but the possibility is always multiplied I think when slipping across creekbanks and over and around logs blowdowns, etc., before daylight and after dark. I was only wondering what the general consensus was on how others avoided or confronted this issue. I am not scared of snakes as if they were going to attack me. I know better than that. I just like to take precautions to make it home safe.

Thanks for all the input guys, LT.

MDBUCKHUNTER 03-19-2006 04:26 PM

Snakes? HA!

I always walk to and from my stand with 2 or 3 red tailedhawks sitting on my shoulders. Snakes have never bothered me. (but sometimes the hawks get annoying)

davidmil 03-19-2006 07:30 PM

When I lived and hunted in Georgia I always had snake protection on(boots or gaiters). I had 3 genuine close encounters with rattlesnakes. I tell ya, a close encounter and a slap on the boots will make you wear the dang things anytime the temperature is above 40. My biggest fear was running into one of those big ones that would knock you off your feet and then bite you in the neck.[&:] Most of the locals use to tell me, "those Buggers won't bother you. Heck, I wear sneakers.... but then, you're a Yankee and Buggers don't like Yankees". I wore my boots. Vietnam took my ears. I couldn't hear a rattle snake if I was standing on it.

LouisianaTomkat 03-19-2006 07:35 PM

Yeah David I agree, it ain't funny being slapped on the leg even if you ain't bit. A buddy of mine got it last year and shook him up so bad he could hardly hunt. HAHA I think mother nature called him real quickly afterwards if you know what I mean. If you don't mind me asking, what brand of gaiters or boots are good enough? Thanks, LT

kevin1 03-20-2006 04:34 AM

All of the snakes are in hibernation by Fall here , I never see any .

Okie48 03-20-2006 04:46 AM

I live in North Dakota. Whats a snake??

Greg / MO 03-20-2006 07:33 AM

I live in North Dakota. Whats a snake??
:D:D

In Illinois and Missouri, it seems that by mid-October, there's not really anything to be concerned with in regard to snakes at this time of the year... I've seen a couple hog-nosed snakes out, but that's about it. I still try not to crawl through blowdowns though.

turtleshell 03-20-2006 08:20 AM

I fI see a snake I do like Thulsa Doom did in the movie Conan the Barbarian and use it as an arrow, kills instantly.

danowak 03-20-2006 10:23 AM

I hunt in the Big Cypress swamp in South Florida. We have lots of snakes, and they are moreactive in the dark. I always wear waterproofsnake boots. Last year I wore Readhead boots, and this year I will wear Lacrosse boots. Both are good. The snakes I haveencountered usuallyare not agressive and go the other way as quickly as they can, but I know that would not be the case if I surprised one. I am always careful in the swamp, and I have never had a snake hit my boot. But I am usually a mile or so from a crushed rockroad, and maybe 15-20 miles away from a paved road where there isa ranger station and medical assistance, so I cannot afford to get bit out there.

Archery Slayer 03-20-2006 07:26 PM

Might want to rethink that! Last year, opening day of Turkey season, 2 ft. Copperhead in my popup. Very aggressive and in strike mode. Then 2nd week of bow season, killed 7ft. Rattlesnake at the base of my tripod. He tried to strike me, with no warning. I wear gaitors or tall boots, but definately be on the watch for them.

MidwestJ 03-20-2006 07:27 PM

It's too cold out for snakes where I hunt so I pay it no mind.

I like the dude with the hawks on his shoulder. That's a good idea.

voodoochild 03-20-2006 07:32 PM

I have two pet Mongoose follow me to my stand ,and then they go back home..LOl ,come fall in Ohio its too cold for them snakes,and if i do see any there moving real slow,ALOT slower then me after i see them..

davidmil 03-20-2006 07:40 PM

I don't know much about all this new stuff and high tech snake stuff. What they had when I lived in Georgia was these heavy old gaiters made of a couple different materials. One was nothing more than material of heavy plastic that was molded and wrapped around your leg. What I used was more like a flak jacket. Some type of fang proof semi plyable stuff inside of a canvas cover with straps and buckles. I also latter went with a big old knee high pair of heavy leather snake stuff that was about a quarter inch thick leather. HEavy and hot. I threw them away about 2 years ago saying I'd buy new fangled light weight stuff if I go back South. I left Georgia in 1981.

bigbulls 03-20-2006 07:55 PM

I guess everyones experiences with snakes are different. Like I said, I have never had a snake strike out at me with no reason. Sure if I mess with them or torment them in some way they become agressive but they always try to get away as soon as I quit trying to pick them up and were usually trying to back their way out of the bad situation they were in the entire time.

My brother stepped on a cotton mouth once and it reached around and bit his rubber boot. As soon as he got off the snake it ran the other way.

I guess if I had a copperhead in a pop up with me I would expect it to be agressive too. ;)

My suggestion is just get a good pair of snake proof boots. But I have found that good rubber boots are very effective at stopping very large cottonmouth bites as well.

LouisianaTomkat 03-20-2006 07:58 PM

Yeah Davidmil my dad was in the land clearing/planting business for years and he had some of those old plastic looking robot leggings. Wasn't good for nothin but tearing up your legs and makin noise. I'm thinkin I may just rely on some good Lacrosse rubber boots or maybe some of the newer flexible leggings. I just hate snakes.[:@]LT

funeralplanner1 03-20-2006 08:58 PM

One Fall probably 15yrs ago or so, I was picking up some leaves from under some plants in the yard, and found a snake..... I was 15 or so and knew a lot about the snakes in the area, but never saw one like that.I first thought it may have been a kingsnake. Itsheadlooked different to me and was VERY aggressive. I managed to pick it up with my bare hands, and put it in a glass tank. I put the tank on my dads car, went inside to get my snake book, came back out, and it was gone.... I looked through some pictures, and to my surprise it was a copperhead. I live in OH, and was inthe northern mostregion for copperhead snakes from what the little picture shows in the books. Anyways, I know what you are talking about aggressive if touched. WOW. It was about 2ft in length and VERY thick. A lot different than my typical garter snake that I was used to playing with. Anyways, just wanted to share the story, and agree with you about the attitude of the Copperhead. I don't care to EVER see one of those again in the wild.

Oh, yea, if I lived down south, I would without a doubt wear snake proofboots while hunting.

gutshot 03-21-2006 10:22 AM

Luckily here in WV the snakes are usually gone by the time bow season comes around. In my 37 years of hunting I've never seen a rattlesnake or copperhead in the woods.

Double Creek 03-21-2006 11:30 AM

I've been bowhunting the deep south for going on 15 yrs and I can probably count onone hand the number of snakes I've encountered in the woods while hunting..... I just don't let it bother me..... I also don't take stupid chances like walking through blow downs, across beaver dams, and other snakey looking areas..... 99% of the cotton mouth's I've seen were around water, 99% of the rattlers I've seen were around some type of junk pile, and 99% of copperheads I've seen were in blow downs....

I avoid those areas if possible..

Double Creek 03-21-2006 11:31 AM

I guess I should say that the spring and summer are totally different beasts.... I do wear snake boots if in the woods during those times of the year...

mez 03-21-2006 11:41 AM

I wear gaiters when hog hunting.We usually end up in the places the snakes like to stay. During deer season I never worried about it I guess. I just walk to my stands. I have had a couple different pair of gaiters, you tear them up fast hog hunting and these are the best I've had so far. They are fairly lightweight, comfortable and fit loose enough that they aren't hot at all. They seem to be really durable so far, I would recommend them if you are looking to get some.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/1877.html

121553 03-21-2006 12:59 PM

I was hunting from my stand last year and I saw a snow snake chase a griz down and kill it. I never did come out of that stand for a long time. They blend in the snow so well, you don't even see them and it makes me wonder how many I've actually walked by. They are by far the most dangerous snakes here. I'll never forget that experience for the rest of my life. It gives me chills just thinking about it. ;)

Bobby

ilovehunting 03-21-2006 02:02 PM

Here in WI we dont have to worry about any snakes. the only ones we really have are garders.

ilovehunting 03-21-2006 02:05 PM

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL 121553!!!!!