HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Getting back to bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/136936-getting-back-bowhunting.html)

John Spartan 03-19-2006 12:25 PM

Getting back to bowhunting

Decided after a 12 year absence from bowhunting to get back into the sport, partly to extend my hunting season and partly because my bro-in-law and nephew are getting into the sport.

I have two compound bows, one Browning Mag-Lite(IFAIC) 71 lb. bow and a PSE 60 lb. bow that have been sitting in a storage room since I hung them up.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get both checked out - get new strings/cables and start practicing, or, do some studying of what's available, sell what I have and get a new, current state of the art, hunting bow.

Aside from scouring the archery forums here for info, can anyone point me to some good articles (free from commercial content) that would get me up to speed, please?

Thanks in advance!:)

Oneshot7 03-19-2006 03:27 PM

RE: Getting back to bowhunting

i am sure that you have killeed many deer with these bows but i would sell and get a newer one just so it wouldnt be that loud adn it would be smaller but that is just me and i hunted with a bear ltd last year and it is fine just not nearly as quiet as accurate as the new martin

TeeJay 03-19-2006 05:15 PM

I would get rid of them also. Then go to a archery shop and shoot every damn bow they have TWICE. Then go to a different shop and do the same thing TWICE. Before making a decision.

KodiakArcher 03-19-2006 06:04 PM

It depends what you want to do with them. If you just want to shoot whitetail and black bear from a treeestand at under 30 yards they will work more than adequately. If you've got money to burn and an itch to do something more exotic then by all means shop around to see what's out there. Just remember to learn the limits of yourself and your equipment then live within those limits and you'll be successful no matter what gear you use.

mobow 03-19-2006 06:31 PM

You may get a little "sticker shock" if you start pricing new bows, but they are worth it. The newer bows are just so much fun to shoot!! But, if you wanna save some cash, you've got the right idea. Have them serviced, new strings and cables and you'll be killing deer with no trouble at all.
Some to look at would be:

Hoyt
Bowtech
Mathews
Elite Archery
Browning
Ross
Just to name a few.

Oneshot7 03-19-2006 06:53 PM

add one martin

Finch 03-19-2006 06:55 PM

Definitely take a look at whats out there. You will be surprised how much they have changed in 12 years.

John Spartan 03-19-2006 07:08 PM

I'll probably go for white tail/mule deer and black bear at first, but hoping to do caribou, elk and moose eventually. I prefer the spot and stalk but tree stands are not out of the question.

TeeJay 03-19-2006 10:52 PM

better get youself to the bowshop!

wolfen68 03-20-2006 04:42 AM

If you could kill animals with it 12 years ago, they haven't evolved that much since then so unless you really want to shell out some cash for a new bow, just tune up the old and get after it. You'll find lots of gadget freaks on this site that don't believe a deer can be killed with any less than the latest and greatest. Good luck.