Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 when in the tree, how do you judge distances? >

when in the tree, how do you judge distances?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

when in the tree, how do you judge distances?

Old 03-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default when in the tree, how do you judge distances?

For those of us without range finders, any tips on judging distances? Or do you pace off a couple of markers relative to your stand, or rely strictly on guesstimation? I pace off all my target practice in the backyard to 15, 20, 25 (where my 3 pins are set)...I'm just looking for any tips once you are in the tree and are presented with a shot....thanks for any and all help. Perhaps I should start practicing without pacing ditances off exactly.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:36 AM

Default RE: when in the tree, how do you judge distances?

you said that you pace of your distances for pratice, why not pace of your distance from your stand in all direction of a presentable shot.

[/align]
Old 03-18-2006, 12:00 PM

As soon as I climb the tree I start estimating the distances to various landmarks by going in 10yd increments..... I'm pretty dead on out to 30yds....
Old 03-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

when i set up a stand, i pace out dif distances and place a stick up against a tree so it looks kinda natural but i also know i stuck it there. but now i have a rangefinder for next season to use.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:41 PM

Remember that if you're using a rangefinder from the tree it's going to range a bit farther than your actual shot distance (especially if you set upskyscraper stands). When you're in the stand you're ranging the hypotinuse and you want to know the base of your right triangle. I range to trees straight away from me (at my height) and use the base of that tree as a distance reference.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

As soon as I climb the tree I start estimating the distances to various landmarks by going in 10yd increments..... I'm pretty dead on out to 30yds....
Exactly what I do as well. I know what 10 yards looks like. If I can fit 3 - 10 yard increments to my target I know the target is 30 yards. When I'm in my treestand I'm constantly looking at different trees around my stand and using this "10 yard increment" method to draw an imaginary30 yard circle around me. That is my effective range. I don't shoot until the deer is within that 30 yard circle.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

To be honest....90% of the places I hunt are so thick that any deer I see in the clear is in range, usually well in range. The other 10% I just have my 30 yd barrier kind of set in my head from years of being in a tree.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just put a good pendulum sight on the Mathews. I am good till about 35 with one pin now makes things a bunch easyier
Old 03-18-2006, 06:41 PM

What type of bow are you using to need 3 pins from 15 to 25 yards? I use one pin from 0 to 30 yards.
The more you practice, the better you'll get at judging distance. Until you reach the level where you are comfortable at judging it, I'd suggest you set a few markers in your hunting area, or mark a few tree's to help you out.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

10 yard increments myself. Being a running back from when I was 6 to age22, really helped me in knowing exactly how far 10 yards was. (first down and 10) if you will! I break everything down by 10's.....

Quick Reply: when in the tree, how do you judge distances?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.