Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

eye dominance

Old 03-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Default eye dominance

If im left eyed dominant do I have to shoot a left hand bow,Ive gun hunted for years using my right eye,doesnt the eye ya leave open become dominant?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:58 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: eye dominance

Yes, if you close the left eye the right will become dominant and its a non issue. If you want to shoot both eyes open it will be a lot harder. It is easier to train yourself to shoot left handed than to train youreyes when shooting both open. I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. Ijust close my left eye. I canshoot a shotgun both eyes openright handed but not my bow,tried that, arrows areexpensive.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

A good shooting coach will convince you to shoot to your dominant eye and shoot with both eyes open be it bow or gun.....
Old 03-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good shooting coach will convince you to shoot to your dominant eye and shoot with both eyes open be it bow or gun.....
True. But I'm left-eye dominant and shoot right-handed; I simply close my left eye. I've got just a couple nice trophies under my belt, and I defy you to be able to shoot rabbits on the run with a shotgun better than I can!

It really depends upon what level you want to get to; aspiring to be Olympic-level? You definitely need to train your body to shoot according to which eye is dominant. Otherwise, simply closing an eye has always worked for me.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:19 PM

I am also left eye dominant and shoot right handed. It is not a big problem shooting compounds. The big disadvantage is you loose the depth perception. I am teaching myself to shoot left handed and can honestly say it is nice to shoot with both eyes open. You get a clearer image and can track the arrow much easier.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

...and can track the arrow much easier.
And thus another benefit for capping/cresting my own arrows!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:01 PM

i am left handed and left eye dom but after messing up my left arm so bad a few years ago,i switched to a right hand bow and trained my right eye to be stronger.i wore and eye patch on my left eye for the first month or so when i started shooting the right hand bow.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you have glasses you can take a piece of paper or something and put it between the lense and your eye and that will make it so you become dominant in the other eye. it worked for my cousin, but he used a patch instead of a piece of paper.