Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Manage Deer on what basis? >

Manage Deer on what basis?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
At least 2 1/2
20.83%
At least 3 1/2
47.22%
4 1/2 and over
9.72%
Any Rack
22.22%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Manage Deer on what basis?

Old 03-15-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Manage Deer on what basis?

I was just curious on what everyones perspective is on a shootable deer, such as if you are not looking for the rack but for its age, or if u have no preference. just curious trying to keep this place alive.
Personally i want to shoot a buck based upon his age, 3 1/2 or better. and while im on it my opinion on the QDM/meat hunter thing is shoot what you will be happy with, and be proud of what you shoot.
Its not how good the deer was, how good the hunt was
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Manage Deer on what basis?

I certainly don't see any reason to kill a buck that is not 3 1/2 years old or older. Anything less and that is certainly NOT management. The only exception I make on my own property is IF it's someone's first buck like a Youth hunt or something.

As far as antlerless animals go.... I don't care what their age is as long as they don't turn out to be button bucks.... ID you target animals PLEASE!

Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 PM

i wont take just any rack, but i will take most any doe.
racks are not why i hunt, but there is a limit to what i will shoot for meat as well.
if i see spots, a lot of ribs, or a doe with new young. they are off limits to me personally.
all else is freezer stock.

oh, and i agree with you as to being proud of yourgame no matter what you take.

any animal taken with a bow and arrow is a trophy.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pass_threw

any animal taken with a bow and arrow is a trophy.
With modern archery equipment and even "average" shooting skill, I thinkthis old saying doesn't have much meaning these days??? Now back in the day, when most folks shot traditional equipment I'm sure it felt like that though???

I'm still proud of folks for making ANY clean kill but it's not exactly a miracle to bag deerevery year with a bow in just about ANY area these days. I strongly believe more folks should be looking at the big picture and thinking more about a quality herd and a quality experience instead of just filling any and all buck tags??? Shoot the Does so the herd won't grow.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM

any animal not any deer cornfed.

and if i told my students that it`s not that big of a deal anymore to take game with a bow and arrow. how many do you think would stay interested in bow hunting.

sure to take an animal with trad equipment would be perhaps more rewording to most.
i still think you have to inspire peopleto be proud of the game taken.

i believe i said i would take about any doe with the first sentence. but not any rack.

this is in no way an argument, just thought i`d clear things up about the "trophy"statement.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

IL-Cornfed, I pretty much agree with you. I'd prefer 3 1/2 but that's not saying anyones wrong for taking any legal deer. That would just be my preference. Heck, I'd prefer to shoot a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2. It would be nice if more people would hold off on the younger bucks and shoot more does. And yes, the equipment has definitely made it easier but it's still not easy with a bow. You still have to pick your spot, know your shooting lanes, get close enough, draw the bow without getting busted, and make a well placed shot. I know plenty who have trouble with one or more of those and I would consider them average skill. I know I've got pretty good equipment and I'm still proud of any deer I take with the bow.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Default West Virginia's deer hunting hurting!

I'm speaking on behalf of West Virginia's deer herd when I say, "If it weren't for us trophy hunters, there wouldn't be any deer!". Too many years has our states DNR sat back and ruined our deer hunting in West Virginia dues to the slaughtering of does and for all those hunters afield with that stupid attitude of "If it's brown it's down". West Virginia's deer herd has drastically declined in the last 3 years mainly due to poor management. If our states deer herd is ever going to be like it was in the early to 80's there needs to be and atler restriction (AR) imposed on the deer. I would be satisfied with a 3-horn per side restriction and eliminating doe hunting in most counties.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 PM

Default RE: West Virginia's deer hunting hurting!

i'm not a trophy hunter and never will be not knockin trophy huntin but i dont really care about rack size .i dont shoot button bucks or any yearlins if i can help it .thats just my opinion .another reaon no matter what sc deer aint goin to have giant racks due to genetics here .
Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a big part of itsounds like where you live at and how pressured the ground you hunt is. When I hunt in IL I like to take a 4 year old buck or better. The deer are abundant enough that I can kill all the doe I need for the freezer. When I go to Ky. I see alot of doe and only a few trophy bucks. This is something I don't understand. In KY you can only kill 1 buck a year.Either more people are hunting in KY or there is alot of night shooting going on. When I go to Ky knowing I can only shoot 1 buck a year I don't go looking to shoot a 1/1/2 old buck when I can kill unlimited doe. I wouldsettle for a younger buck in Ky than IL because I know it may be the most mature buck I see. If its antlers are not anything I am going to put on the wall then I wont take it in hopes of seeing it the next year.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

2 1/2 is ready to be eatin

Quick Reply: Manage Deer on what basis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.