Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Manage Deer on what basis? >

Manage Deer on what basis?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
At least 2 1/2
20.83%
At least 3 1/2
47.22%
4 1/2 and over
9.72%
Any Rack
22.22%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Manage Deer on what basis?

Old 03-17-2006, 02:15 PM

Default RE: Manage Deer on what basis?

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Please excuse the rantbut I'm really getting tired of this kind of mindless self righteous drivel.
I can't remember.... Someone helpme out here.Whatwas itthat pot called the kettle?

[8D]
I think his name was Armand.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not Bertha?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Not Bertha?
No, that was his sister!
Old 03-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

I certainly don't see any reason to kill a buck that is not 3 1/2 years old or older.
And others see no reason not to! Why do these kind of threads always degenerate into my way is better than your way? Isn't it clear to everybody by now that everybody derives satisfaction from the sport in different ways? The old expression is that they make chocholate and vanilla for a reason. Why do many hunters seem to think a one size fits all is good for hunting? IMO, if you want to kill a fork horn have a ball. If you want to do it with a recurve at 15 yards or an 30-06 at 400 have a ball. Deer hunting is a sport! It's what we do for recreation and to make ourselves happy. So get out there and have a ball and for heavens sake quit worring about how others are out theirenjoying the sport. What any one of us thinks about how somebody else particaipates in this great and diverse sport means precisely squat! They're having fun so just clam upandbe happy for them.So help me sometimes these discussions sound like a bunch of bertha better than you old bitties gossiping about how so and so shouldn't be doing this or that and my aren't we special because of the way we do things. Please excuse the rantbut I'm really getting tired of this kind of mindless self righteous drivel.
Sylvan...I've known guys who killed the first thing they saw and did it that way for years without much thought or considering another angle in their approach to bowhunting deer but then when illuminated with the ideal that there is another mindset which takes "the sport" to a different level and they tried it, they never looked back and are "happier" with their experience than they were before so in that aspect, I think this drivel is potentially beneficial in improving some hunters bowhunting endeavors.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:20 PM

I don't know about your state(s) but where I'm from (WEST VIRGINIA) they saying "If it's brown it's down" is a thing of the past, time to wake up boys.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan...I've known guys who killed the first thing they saw and did it that way for years without much thought or considering another angle in their approach to bowhunting deer but then when illuminated with the ideal that there is another mindset which takes "the sport" to a different level and they tried it, they never looked back and are "happier" with their experience than they were before so in that aspect, I think this drivel is potentially beneficial in improving some hunters bowhunting endeavors.
Actually, wolfen, I don't totally disagree with you in that some hunters might be happier with their experience if they were to focus more on killing larger racked deer and letting smaller bucks go in the process. I would, however, be suprised if there are very many hunters out there who have never heard the phrase "let em go and let em grow" or don't understand completely what it means. It sure isn't rockect science!

As far as I'm concerned though, that's all beside the point. What I referred to as "mindless drivel" is not talk that advocates the "let em go and let em grow" way of doing things. Like I said, and I thought quite clearly, I'm for people enjoying the sport in any manner they choose. What does offend me, is the attitude that my way is "better" than yours and if you don't agree you're either just wrong or uneducated.

Though I don't think you meant to, even your post came off this way. When you said "but then when illuminated" implies that those that don't agree with you disagree only because they are ignorant. You refer to your manner of hunting as an "ideal". Well excuse me but it isn't an ideal at all. You're just hunting in a manner you have chosen just like everybody else. When you say "to a different level" you clearly imply your way is at a higher level and those that don't do it your way are in effect lower. It's this kind of stuff that offends me. As Arthur clearly demonstrated, the my way is better than your way attitude isn't just with regard to what size animal we shoot either. According to him, although it's o.k. to shoot whatever you like it's just "boring" to hunt with anything other than traditional equipment. Come on guys!

I have a suggestion the should "illuminate" you all "with the ideal that there is another mindset which takes the sport to a different level". That is to start to apreciate the fact that everyone is looking for and derives a different experience from the sport and how they choose to enjoy it isn't right or wrong, higher or lower level, ideal or not, it just different. By all means, continue to tell about how much you enjoy your way of doing things but do us all a favor and put a cork in it when it comes to telling others that their way is wrong or inferior. That is truly "drivel".
Old 03-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: West Virginia's deer hunting hurting!

Depends on my mood and who's land I may be hunting and any restrictions they may want etc etc etc. I have no quams about shooting anything that's legal except buttons etc. Once I've got some meat I get more selective or picky,.... but if a deer ticks me off or strikes my fancy or seems especially deserving.... well I'll stick him or her.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:38 AM

Default RE: West Virginia's deer hunting hurting!

I hunt at my buddys and he wont let us shoot unless it is 8 and out of the ears.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, wolfen, I don't totally disagree with you in that some hunters might be happier with their experience if they were to focus more on killing larger racked deer and letting smaller bucks go in the process. I would, however, be suprised if there are very many hunters out there who have never heard the phrase "let em go and let em grow" or don't understand completely what it means. It sure isn't rockect science!

As far as I'm concerned though, that's all beside the point. What I referred to as "mindless drivel" is not talk that advocates the "let em go and let em grow" way of doing things. Like I said, and I thought quite clearly, I'm for people enjoying the sport in any manner they choose. What does offend me, is the attitude that my way is "better" than yours and if you don't agree you're either just wrong or uneducated.

Though I don't think you meant to, even your post came off this way. When you said "but then when illuminated" implies that those that don't agree with you disagree only because they are ignorant. You refer to your manner of hunting as an "ideal". Well excuse me but it isn't an ideal at all. You're just hunting in a manner you have chosen just like everybody else. When you say "to a different level" you clearly imply your way is at a higher level and those that don't do it your way are in effect lower. It's this kind of stuff that offends me. As Arthur clearly demonstrated, the my way is better than your way attitude isn't just with regard to what size animal we shoot either. According to him, although it's o.k. to shoot whatever you like it's just "boring" to hunt with anything other than traditional equipment. Come on guys!

I have a suggestion the should "illuminate" you all "with the ideal that there is another mindset which takes the sport to a different level". That is to start to apreciate the fact that everyone is looking for and derives a different experience from the sport and how they choose to enjoy it isn't right or wrong, higher or lower level, ideal or not, it just different. By all means, continue to tell about how much you enjoy your way of doing things but do us all a favor and put a cork in it when it comes to telling others that their way is wrong or inferior. That is truly "drivel".

Sylvan, I was very careful in my choice of words in an effort to avoid offending you. I said "different level" not better, or higher, or a whole new level. It's plain and simply a different approach. Perhaps "illuminated" was too over-the-top and implies some sort of divine intervention or revelation...or that perhaps one may have been in the dark before seeing the light. Kind of like, I am the way, the truth, and the light, and whomever shall hunt like me shall have everlasting happiness? Certainly not my intention and I apologize.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan, I was very careful in my choice of words in an effort to avoid offending you.
wolfen,
Like I said in my post, I didn't think you meant tooffend at all so no appology was necessary. I thank you for it anyway, it shows your consideration and respect for others.

Kind of like, I am the way, the truth, and the light, and whomever shall hunt like me shall have everlasting happiness?
I know you said this tonguein cheek but sadlyit quite accurately describes the attitude of some and it is precisely that kind of attitude that provoked my earlier rant.

Quick Reply: Manage Deer on what basis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.