Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Manage Deer on what basis? >

Manage Deer on what basis?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
At least 2 1/2
20.83%
At least 3 1/2
47.22%
4 1/2 and over
9.72%
Any Rack
22.22%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Manage Deer on what basis?

Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 PM

Default RE: Manage Deer on what basis?

[quote] AMEN BROTHER! There needs to be more hunters like yourself, that way the hunting would always be exciting and called "hunting" instead of "killing". It's people like yourself and I that put the SPORT back into hunting.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: pass_threw

any animal taken with a bow and arrow is a trophy.
With modern archery equipment and even "average" shooting skill, I thinkthis old saying doesn't have much meaning these days??? Now back in the day, when most folks shot traditional equipment I'm sure it felt like that though???

I'm still proud of folks for making ANY clean kill but it's not exactly a miracle to bag deerevery year with a bow in just about ANY area these days. I strongly believe more folks should be looking at the big picture and thinking more about a quality herd and a quality experience instead of just filling any and all buck tags??? Shoot the Does so the herd won't grow.
What he said

Let 'em go and let 'em grow
Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Beagle001

I was just curious on what everyones perspective is on a shootable deer, such as if you are not looking for the rack but for its age, or if u have no preference. just curious trying to keep this place alive.
Personally i want to shoot a buck based upon his age, 3 1/2 or better. and while im on it my opinion on the QDM/meat hunter thing is shoot what you will be happy with, and be proud of what you shoot.
Its not how good the deer was, how good the hunt was
If you can "manage" them, they aren't wild. If they aren't wild, it ain't hunt'n it's raising and that's farming. Not hunting.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:49 AM

Well Jack, it's always interesting to hear your ignorant a$$, holier than thou, "I'm the only REAL hunter in the world" opinion.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

With modern archery equipment and even "average" shooting skill, I thinkthis old saying doesn't have much meaning these days???
Could you meanmodern bowhunting gear has made bowhunting too easy? Gee! Could this mean that those guys who have argued for years about keeping some kind of equipment restrictions were RIGHT?

Actually, that's the reason traditionalis the fastest growing segment of bowhunting. Doubt that? Then you haven't noticed Hoyt, PSE, Martin, even Mathews, have been adding, updating and/or augmenting their products for the traditional market. You haven't noticed that there are a huge number of custom shops churning out traditional bows, far more than have ever been before. Those things don't happen unless there is a market to support them.

The guys who go tradtional, to a man, say that all the high tech stuff has made bowhunting too easy - even boring!?! - and they switched to get back the challenge, excitement and FUN.

Personally, I've never gotten around to checking age and ID on any deer I've ever shot, but then I've also rarely hunted with a fully rigged compound. I take what opportunities are presented. If it's Muy Grande, fine. If it's a spindly forkie, that's fine too. When I take spindly forkie, then I've givenYOU an opportunity at Muy Grande, not so? Then why would you gripe about me taking the forkie? Are ya stupid??? [8D]

If I wanted my hunting 'easy' I'd use a gun. THEN maybe I'd be more concerned about horn size, QDM and such. But, I'm a bowhunter. Well, actually that's not true. More precisely, I'ma TRADITIONAL bowhunter. More and more those are becoming two distinctly seperate things. Sad state of affairs, I think.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

I certainly don't see any reason to kill a buck that is not 3 1/2 years old or older. Anything less and that is certainly NOT management. The only exception I make on my own property is IF it's someone's first buck like a Youth hunt or something.

As far as antlerless animals go.... I don't care what their age is as long as they don't turn out to be button bucks.... ID you target animals PLEASE!

I totally agree.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly don't see any reason to kill a buck that is not 3 1/2 years old or older.
And others see no reason not to! Why do these kind of threads always degenerate into my way is better than your way? Isn't it clear to everybody by now that everybody derives satisfaction from the sport in different ways? The old expression is that they make chocholate and vanilla for a reason. Why do many hunters seem to think a one size fits all is good for hunting? IMO, if you want to kill a fork horn have a ball. If you want to do it with a recurve at 15 yards or an 30-06 at 400 have a ball. Deer hunting is a sport! It's what we do for recreation and to make ourselves happy. So get out there and have a ball and for heavens sake quit worring about how others are out theirenjoying the sport. What any one of us thinks about how somebody else particaipates in this great and diverse sport means precisely squat! They're having fun so just clam upandbe happy for them.So help me sometimes these discussions sound like a bunch of bertha better than you old bitties gossiping about how so and so shouldn't be doing this or that and my aren't we special because of the way we do things. Please excuse the rantbut I'm really getting tired of this kind of mindless self righteous drivel.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:04 AM

These "management" threads give me a stomach ache.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please excuse the rantbut I'm really getting tired of this kind of mindless self righteous drivel.
I can't remember.... Someone helpme out here.Whatwas itthat pot called the kettle?

[8D]

Old 03-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't remember.... Someone helpme out here.Whatwas itthat pot called the kettle?
O.K. you be self righteous about traditional bow hunting and go ahead and imply how "stupid" others are and that other methods of deer hunting are "boring" and I'll be self righteous about telling people to enjoy the sport any way they choose and that those who citicize them for the way they enjoy the sport should just be quiet and quit spewing theirmindless drivel!

Quick Reply: Manage Deer on what basis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.