Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,, >

If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
hunting
45.95%
harvesting
54.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 AM

Default RE: If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

too broad a question to answer.

1,000 acres of swamp with wild deer- probably, yes

1,000 acres of South Dakota prarie shooting a tame bison herd ? no
Old 03-16-2006, 05:42 AM

It is not hunting if it is land over 1000 acres fenced right?

But it is hunting if you are on a island like Giles Island were the deer can't get off of the Island right? Sounds like the same thing to me.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Xtremebone

It is not hunting if it is land over 1000 acres fenced right?

But it is hunting if you are on a island like Giles Island were the deer can't get off of the Island right? Sounds like the same thing to me.
The deer can leave Giles Island, they may choose not to. They can certainly swim the river. Haven't you seen the buck in the middle of lake Erie swimming towards the city? That's an extreme incident but deer can and will swim a river....
Old 03-16-2006, 06:18 AM

I don't call it hunting, but I do think a guy can do it if he wants.

As far as an island, there are some islands as far as9 to 12 miles off the coast of Maine that have deer swimming to and fromthem. The "free" part is where the critter has the ability to flee the danger. A fenced enclosure absolutely insures that the animal can not escape the owner of the pen. Sure he could run in circles for awhile, but if you wanted to.... you could take him. You can control everything in a pen from food to water to cover...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I'm concerned, it's harvesting regardless of whether or not it's fenced or whether or not is over or under 1000 acres. Deer are a resource owned both publically and privately and because they are such prolific breeders need to be managed. When there is an over abundance of them the surplus is harvested to bring numbers back to a proper range that is supportable by the particular habitat. If you take a deer out of that habitat you are particpating in a harvest. What's the big deal here? If you don't want to do your hunting or harvesting or whatever you choose to call it within a fenced area don't. But don't be smug and look down your nose at those who do. There is nothing noble about killing a deer under any conditions. We all do it for our own self satisfaction and imo it is not in any of our interests to criticize others for their (i'm assuming legal) choices or manner of doing it. imoI think we would all be better off just dropping this issue.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

As far as I'm concerned, it's harvesting regardless of whether or not it's fenced or whether or not is over or under 1000 acres. Deer are a resource owned both publically and privately and because they are such prolific breeders need to be managed. When there is an over abundance of them the surplus is harvested to bring numbers back to a proper range that is supportable by the particular habitat. If you take a deer out of that habitat you are particpating in a harvest. What's the big deal here? If you don't want to do your hunting or harvesting or whatever you choose to call it within a fenced area don't. But don't be smug and look down your nose at those who do. There is nothing noble about killing a deer under any conditions. We all do it for our own self satisfaction and imo it is not in any of our interests to criticize others for their (i'm assuming legal) choices or manner of doing it. imoI think we would all be better off just dropping this issue.
One of the best posts on this subject I've heard yet, Sylvan. I have no problem with someone hunting or owning fenced property as long as the animals are wild. Can you walk up and pet them? If so then that's lame. I do have a problem with those that look down and bash either method of hunting. What scares me about high fence hunting and it's proponents is that if this trend continues then there will be no more wide open free places to hunt they will ALL be privately owned and managed and that's not the way God intended it in my opinion, or the way I want it. This should scare the hell out of all those who love the freedom to hunt a wild animal wherever they want within the legal limits of the law.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:09 AM

Sylvan, Turtleshell,

Very good posts guys. I am not a real proponent of high fence, even though I see nothing morally or ethically wrong with it. The places I have seen it is no slam dunk or guarantee whatsoever. You can work your butt off and still go home empty handed. As stated above, my main problem with it is driving the cost of hunting up for the average man, whereas at some point it either becomes too expensive or out of his reach entirely. That, however is a completely different discussion than what was asked.

One side note though, and one I had never thought of untill yesterday, is natural disasters. Some of you may have seen on the news about the fires in the Texas Panhandle. That is where I live. There is a 10000 acre high fence ranch about 20 miles from my house, and one of those wildfires burned through it. They left gates open, and their elk herd escaped, but it makes you wonder how many of those high priced deer died when they piled up against a fence they couldn't jump. I'm pretty sure most folks don't realize the pure scale of what I am talking about here, it is very hard to visualize without seeing with your own eyes. Maybe 100 square miles or so, burned flat. But at any rate, there's some food for thought.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say (and this is purelyan opinion)it depends on the fence. If its low enough to allow the hunted game to come and go freely and the fenceonly defines the property boundry, it is Free Range hunting. If the animals cannot go beyond the fence due to height then it is captive hunting (harvesting, whatever).
Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Spike

Let me shake the FEED PAN
Old 03-16-2006, 07:57 AM

what size of fence? good grief just cause there is a fence around it doesn't mean the deer can't come and go. If your going to post a poll you should at least define your fence.

Quick Reply: If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.