Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands? >

Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands?

Old 03-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands?

I've had really decent bloodtrails with them. Then again, they usually don't go far.

This one dropped in her tracks.

Thislittle buckwent 30 yards. (actual measured distance)

This hog ran about 30 yards and rolled another 20 yards down the hill after I shot him. You can see that he was leaving a heck of a trail.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:55 AM

Awesome pictures Christine!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:49 AM

Psemuzzy, I thought the challenge was to shoot a concrete block. Unless I missed it. Whats up with the anvil? It was a bit embarrassing for Razorcaps, who has advertised extensively based on shooting one into a concrete block.

Frankly, a better test of a broadhead is to shoot 3/4" plywood or a steel drum where the material is hard and the head passes through. Will give you a good idea of how a head will hold up on bone, regardless of those whose heads perform poorly and they make jokes about it not being a live animal to save face.

What the concrete block test is, however, a good test of an arrow, as you describe. Aluminum will bend, and some carbons will shatter the tip. The Epic did well in the durability test, would also check its straightness and group shoot it to see if it still performs the same.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

the next time any of you guys feel like shooting some perfectly good broadheads into concrete just send them to me. I'll give them a good home
Old 03-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Muzzys leave poor trails, what brand (in your experience) leave good trails?
I think the main thing to remember is that the blades have to beRAZOR sharp. Many people shoot heads that are well...dull
I have seen hunters take heads out of the package and hunt with them w/o ever checking the edge for sharpness. I have seen hunters use replaceable heads shoot them over and over into foam then head to their stand w/o putting new blades in the head. ???
This is only speculation on my part, but I would make a wager that if you checked the sharpness of the blades on those 'poor' blood trails you would find that the culprit is dull blades not the head design.

Just my $.02

ORIGINAL: Spurcrazy

ok tell me I am A freak I go on a lot of blood trails a year and when there is a very bad blood trail I say please do not say you shot a muzzy and so far 100%don't get me wrong I used to shoot them to and some of my buddies still do and there trails suck even on a good hit maybe my exsperiences are not the way to explain.
ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAINE !!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I borrowed a digital camera and took pics of all the heads I shot at work Saturday. His camera was equiped with a macro lense so I was able to get some clear close up pics of all the heads. He is suppose to be emailing the pics to me so I can post them.

I also added a montec 100, Muzzy 125, and Rocket ultimate steel 125.

The montec did fantastic. It got bent some and the tip flattened some but it hld together perfectly. While it wasn't shootable again because of the bending I would place it right behind the slick tricks.

The Ultimate steel did pretty good too. The tip flattened and it lost a blade and only bent slightly.

The Muzzy pretty much blew up. Not as badly as the Crimson Tallon but it lost its tip, all three blades, and broke off one finger of the furrle.

I would rate these heads for sheer toughness as follows.

#1. Slick trick
#2. Montec
#3. Magnus stinger
#4. Ultimate steel
#5. Razor cap
#6. Thunder head
#7. After shock
#8. Muzzy
#9. Crimson tallon.

Garry, while a ply wood test would definetly simulate bone better a concrete block or anvil will definetly show which ones are the toughest, broadheads and arrows. I was kind of expecting it to bend a little hitting the block as hard as it was but it just kept going strong. Thanks for making such an incredibly strong broadhead.

Christine, What do you feed the does where you live? Dang she is huge.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a muzzy man myself but don't put much weight at all in the importance of a broadhead as long as it shoots well out of my bow...the rest is up to me. You stick any deer in the boiler room with a broadhead and it's going to die. Way too much hype on this element if you ask me.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

No offence wolfen but the one piece of equipment that is directly responsible for the killing of the animal and you don't place much importance in this decision?

I just don't follow this logic at all.

This one piece of equipment is the most important decion I make concerning my archery equipment. Same goes for a bullet I send on its way.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, out of boredom and morbid curiosity, I thought I'd try some meaningless broadhead pentration tests myself.

First, I need to challenge another head. My friend has 200grain Ace broadheads on his arrows. So, how's that for a strange comparison? His total arrow weight is 675 grains. He's shooting a 73# recurve.

Again, I'm shooting a 520 grain arrow out of a 50lb XI which lobs arrows with a jaw-dropping 37 foot pounds of energy.

A picture of the two heads... 200grain Ace(top) 125 grain Muzzy (bottom)
(yes, that's dirt on the Ace.. but it did get sharpened for the 'test')

Weshot 5/8"plywood because that's whatwe had.

Both heads were unharmed by the plywood. Getting them out of the plywood was a different story. We took a hammer to both. The trocar tip of muzzy became slightly blunted after repeated bashing. The tip of the Ace bent after repeated hits. (the plywood really held onto those points)

Spying our innocent 55 gallon drum burn barrel sitting in the yard... it immediately became the next target for the muzzy. The freshly bent Ace sat out this round.

I hit the barrel slightly off from my desired mark. I think I was scared the arrow was going to bounce off so I was cringing as I shot.

The arrow just plunked into it. The tip wasn't any worse for wear (well, after the hammer beating anyhow). The blades did show some damage.

Hey, at least it didn't bounce off.

So if abuck orboarwere hiding behind a piece of plywood or inside a steel drum,he would probably be okay unless his head was leaning against the point of impact... in which case I might poke his eye out.

That's a valuable lesson there.... [8D]

Old 03-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

No offence wolfen but the one piece of equipment that is directly responsible for the killing of the animal and you don't place much importance in this decision?

I just don't follow this logic at all.

This one piece of equipment is the most important decion I make concerning my archery equipment. Same goes for a bullet I send on its way.
I've killed lots of deer with different heads, mechanical and fixed,and have seen numerous others killed with many other types of heads and have never seen a deer lost that was hit with a good shot or any significant difference in bloodtrails or recovery. I don't shoot barrels, cinder blocks, or plywood. I'm looking to pop a couple of oxygen filled balloons and maybe a blood pumping heart with a straight flying arrow tipped with sharp blades. IMO folks concentrate too much on planning for the worst case scenario type of shot that requires going through heavy bones when they should be concentrating on this type of shot never occuring.

Quick Reply: Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.