Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands? >

Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands?

Old 03-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands?

I like the muzzy heads for their durability and penetration.

I do feel, however, that they are lacking in cutting diameter. I'd like to see another 1/8" on each of theirheads. Having shot the Rocket mechanicals for a year or two (when they were first introduced) - and there was a distinct difference in blood trail. The rockets, with their huge cutting diameter, left a grievous wound. The downfall with them, however, was that the structural integrity of the blades was nil. Also, there were penetration problems in heavy bone.

I really think Muzzy could put 1/8" - 3/16" additional cutting diameter without lost performance. Do you guys think I'm coming out of left field on this?

Oh, I guess I should also note that I've been hunting with Muzzy heads for the past 4 or 5 years, and I've got a deer or two with 'em.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

I've killed more deer using Muzzy heads than with any other broadhead and still carry a couple on my quiver. I've always had a good blood trail. The advancements made in broadheads the last few years are absolutely astounding! There are so many quality heads on the market today that it almost boggles the mind. When I first started using Muzzys there was not nearly the amount of quality heads to choose from...very few IMO. Its probably true that the same standard Muzzy heads may be passed up somewhat by the design advancements of other brands, but I still believe the Muzzy Trocar tip is the best fixed broadhead tip every developed.

Greg/MO, you will love the way the Rocky Mtn. Turbos fly......I mean they are absolutely awesome! I did crack a blade on the one I used to take a doe with, but I am sure it happenend after the arrow stuck in the creekbank after passing through her. The Turbos and the new Muzzy MX-4 heads will be gracing my quiver this fall.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot two deer with the Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade last year. They bothfell and expired within sight of my stand. I also shot a doe with arocket expandablewhich produceddisappointing results with reagrd to penetration and blood trail.

I'll stick with the Muzzy's.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

MUZZY!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 AM

Can't bash Muzzys in anyway, they are a very powerfull and reliable head. I myself switched to Montecs for last season and WOW! They are worth a look too!!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM

I used the Muzzy MX-4's on a hog hunt and WOW!
The new MX-4's thicker balde and
shorter profile is a great improvement!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy is a good head but i've never had any trouble with my Wasp Hammer SST's. They fly like darts for me and are very strong heads.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:46 PM

[quote]
Innerloc broadheads Fly like field points and are so much stronger than Muzzy.

Total BS! I'd put Muzzys up to ANY other broadhead for "TOUGHNESS"! These broadheads are superior when durabilty is the question. They are definately "BAD TO THE BONE"!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:09 PM

Muzzy broadheads even come with a practice head to easilyfine tune your shooting while practicing. Practice head is non-sharp and easy to remove from any target, including 3-D's. How many other brands of broadheadsoffer this?
[img]

Old 03-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

PSEMuzzy, not to burst your bubble but Muzzy heads are no where near the toughest broadhead any more. At one time they were the king of toughness when it came to broadheds but times have drastically changed for the better with different manufacturing methods and better materials. I have had them bend their furrels simply by shooting them into a block type target.

Muzzys are still a great broadhead and are plenty tough enough to shoot through game but they aren't the baddest on the block any more.

Concerning practice blades. I don't used them for one simple reason. I do not hunt with them. When it comes time to practice with broadheads I do it with the actual equipment that I will be killing the animals with. Practice blades fit no where into the equation and can sometimes fly differently than the regular killing blades.

Besides that, a practice blade tears the target material while penetrating causing more damage to the target than a cleanly sliced hole from a sharp blade. This is especially true in 3D targets and others made from the same materials.

BTW, I'll put a slick trick up against any Muzzy any time and come away the victor.

Quick Reply: Muzzy Broadheads vs Other brands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.