Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pine trees...??? How do deer respond to these? >

Pine trees...??? How do deer respond to these?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pine trees...??? How do deer respond to these?

Old 03-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pine trees...??? How do deer respond to these?

On a plotI hunt, there is an OLLDD house there. And when they built the house, they planted like 3 or 4 rows of pine trees probably about 100 yards long. I was in there looking around the other day, and it looked like the deer used it alot and there were a couple trees that would be a good stand tree. But I was wondering if it would be a good spot? Do the deer like to bed in there or what, thats what it looked like?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Pine trees...??? How do deer respond to these?

Here in my part of NC all we have is pines and deer a plenty, I think deer love to bed in pine thickets for theier security.JMHO
Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Turtle. I think they use that for bedding areas. Especially the layout as you described. On windy days, I bet it's nice and quiet in there. They like that a lot for security I would think. I would concentrate on areas coming in/out of those instead.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Those are the kind of spot I like to hunt. It's either thier bedding or travel route either way you win because of the pines.The pinesnot only hides you but the pines gives out alot of scent and that should be your advantage, make sure you don't smell like beef jerky or something that will give you away.

Dairy king- I used to hunt a piece of land with some pines like the ones you are talking about. It's was a great place to hunt. The deers come and don't even know that I'm there. I've seen alot of bucks using the routes around the pines. I wish that land was still for lease, I'll lease it in a second.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me that deer like to move through pine areas in the fall and winter as it affords them cover that the other trees don't give as far as bedding there are a lot of variables like temp. pressure wind and the other surroundings. If its the thickest area then during the hunting season I would say yes they bed there and on windy days deer love pine as it is much quieter. But on very cold days they like to lie in the sun and on hot days they like to lie in the breeze. So its awful hard to answere your question. Mike
Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is all that is here in nc like turtle said and the deer love them. They dont usually bed in the thicket but it would be a killer combo if there is broomstraw nearby the deer round here come str8 out of the broom straw in to the thicket. it is coll and quiet and most of the time a lil open so they can see any predators at ground level but you should have much success out of there if the conds. are right
Old 03-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others. They seem to like to bed up in the pine thickets.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Another reason deer like to visit pine heads is mushrooms. Mushrooms just pop up all over in the pines. The deer love 'em. Just like candy to them.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

that is all that is here in nc like turtle said and the deer love them. They dont usually bed in the thicket but it would be a killer combo if there is broomstraw nearby the deer round here come str8 out of the broom straw in to the thicket. it is coll and quiet and most of the time a lil open so they can see any predators at ground level but you should have much success out of there if the conds. are right
Hey Oneshot I'm not too far from you.... right here in jacksonville. Maybe we'll run into each other some time.