Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whisker Biscuit Rest >

Whisker Biscuit Rest

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whisker Biscuit Rest

Old 03-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Whisker Biscuit Rest

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: wineguy

BigJ12,

Here is a photograph of one of my arrows nocked. Do you think this is enough room in the biscuit?

Thanks.

Unless that photo is deceiving me I would say your WB is not setup very well. It looks like your bristles are getting worn out a little high and slightly right(the pic is looking from the arrow tip correct??)........this would indicate your arrow is not going through the hole straight.

Shouldn't make a difference on the draw as far as noise goes but maybe those toasted bristle ends are what is noisy??
I agree with atlas.

Ithink someone had done some "trimming" to the biscuit. This is not needed if the correct size is used.

I also think (unless the photo is deceiving) there is NOT enough room as well. If you look closely at the diagramon page 3you will see that only the very bottom of the arrow should be touching the biscuit. There is daylight almost all the way around.

On my set up my arrow rests on the black part only. It is very accurate and causes no damage to even the cheapest of vanes. When I was using the medium opening my vanes would wrinkle slightly. I was able to fix the problem by switching to better quality vanes. Since I switched to the large opening...no problems and like I said not even with cheap vanes.

You don't need to buy a new rest just go out and get the larger biscuit only (they are sold separately) theycost about $10.00 - $12.00 around me.

What size arrows are you using? You should probably use a large or extra large biscuit depending on the size of your aluminum arrows. For most carbons large is the ticket.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone who says that deer bolted when they drew their bow has no way of knowing whether that deer heard something, saw their motion, or both. My guess would be the movement of the draw is what got them busted..............it's much easier to blame a sound though because then it's not your fault
B.S.! It happened to me when I first started using one. I'm sure there are enough hunters with more common sense than you give them credit for when it comes to determining what spooked their deer while drawing back. I don't know about others but if I can see their eyes I'm not drawing.

When I used the Goldtip arrows is when it made the most noise. I used string wax and it quieted it up a bit. Then I switched to the Bemans and the problem was gone. The carbon arrows with no finish are alot noisier than your finished carbons.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Doug, I have to agree. I was getting noise from the aluminums and it was definitely loud enough to spook a deer. I went to Beman ICS Hunter Elites and have no noise or next to nothing.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

If a deer gets close enough for me to draw an arrow through my WB....the only sound he will hear is my mouth grunt and the thud of a broadhead as it hits home.
Well, Atlas.....this (your quote, above)is why I mentioned the grunt. It didn't make sense to me, either. We were talking about MY buck standing braodside to me @ nine yards.

I guess I could say I drove 100 MPH in my car....and you could say I didn't. I'll go ahead and drop this. The word "futile" comes to mind.

I think if you'll look at some of the subsequent posts to mine, though.....you'll see that I'm not the only person that's shared the "biscuit" experience.

Again....have a good day.

Jeff

Old 03-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

YES, Doug.

I use unfinished carbon arrows. My son has the biscuit on his Illusion.....and he was shooting some Axis arrows through it, once.

NO noise.

I just didn't like the Axis arrow enough to switch.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2006, 12:55 PM

Smooth arrows will be very quiet on the whisker biscuit arrowrest.

If youhave to use arrows that are not smooth on a hunt, you can make the rest quieter to use by placing cotton from a Q-tip or an asprin bottle on the bottom of the rest. Or you can improvise some wool yarn from a sweater or your socks for the same effect.

Some people cut a narrow strip of moleskin and wrap the bottom bristles of the rest with it so the arrow rides on moleskin on the draw.

Whatever works, works for me.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 03-14-2006, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: BGHUNTER00

I had the same problem and this is how I made my WB 100% silent. Cut a 2" piece of mole skin just wide enough to fit through the hole and attach both ends of the mole skin under the rest (metal part). This is covering the bristles and the arrow is then resting on top of the mole skin making it silent. Be sure that the arrow does not fit tightly in the hole once your mole skin is on. This has worked great for me.
Maybe I'm not visualizing this right but how do your fletches not tear the moleskin off every shot?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

I dont use whiker biscuits but this is the first bad thing I have heard about them. I use a drop rest and get no noise. As in the wax I would say no, I would think the wax would throw the arrow off balance in the air but im not sure
Old 03-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: turtleshell

ORIGINAL: BGHUNTER00

I had the same problem and this is how I made my WB 100% silent. Cut a 2" piece of mole skin just wide enough to fit through the hole and attach both ends of the mole skin under the rest (metal part). This is covering the bristles and the arrow is then resting on top of the mole skin making it silent. Be sure that the arrow does not fit tightly in the hole once your mole skin is on. This has worked great for me.
Maybe I'm not visualizing this right but how do your fletches not tear the moleskin off every shot?
Turtleshell,

If you wrap athin stripof mole skin over the black bristles only (from front to back) then the fletchings will not touch it as long as you have the cock vane/feather up.

I have heard of this but never needed to do it. Again with the proper size opening my Beman ICS 340 Camo Hunters make less noise than my clothes do when I draw......It's very quiet.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:38 PM

I bought a new bow (PSE Fire Storm) this past fall and was setting it up and a friend of mine gave me his old whisker biscuit rest. The whisker biscuit was the full circle type that didn't have the "wedge" cut out. I too experienced a little noise once in the woods and in my treestand. I later used vaseline on my arrow shafts which eliminated most noise that I had heard before. I use carbon arrows I might add. They sell vaseline in a tube that is used for chapped lips, it works just fine and is compact to put in your pants or shirt pocket.

Quick Reply: Whisker Biscuit Rest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.