Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats harder to hunt? >

whats harder to hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
deer are harder to hunt
38.64%
turkey are harder to hunt
39.77%
there both equally as hard to hunt
21.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

whats harder to hunt?

Old 03-09-2006, 02:59 PM

Default RE: whats harder to hunt?

I say turkeys, at least where I live. Deer really are not that smart and really don't see that well. They hear and smell great though. The biggest thing with deer is they are very alert and on edge.

Turkeys are actually fairly smart I think and like said can see incredibly well. You really need good cammo for turkey and be able to sit still. Not to mention they are sort of hard to kill. They are tough as heck! I kill at least one deer every year but have yet to get a turkey. I came close a few times though.

The pay off is much better with deer though. You get quite a bit of meat with a deer and the prestige seems to be greater. Turkey hunting is simply for the challenge and sport of it. For what it costs to turkey hunt you could buy two or three at the market. I would also agree it depends on where you live. Some states have quite a few turkeys and pretty liberal laws to hunt them.

If you want a challenge I have heard that Prong Horn and large cats are pretty hard to kill. Prong Horns have all the senses of a deer plus they can see VERY well to boot. And cats are natural born hunters themselves, so chances are they are better at it then most humans.

My opinions anyway.

Paul
Old 03-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say a deer. ( big buck ) I usually kill a nice tom about 15 minutes after first light on opening day.I seriously see nothing hard about hunting turkeys at all, atleast not around here. If you are talking about poping a doe you can usually do that about 15 mins. after first light on opening day too. Oh well I guess they both are easy.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:58 PM

this is an easy choice for anyone who has hunted eastern wild turkeys. deer don't even come close as far as intelligence. i can whack a deer any day of the week cause one always strolls underneath my stand, but tocall that big old tom and his boss hen is quite a chore
Old 03-10-2006, 05:51 AM
Spike

if your only hunting public land like I do, they are both extremely hard
Old 03-10-2006, 05:53 AM

I don't know ANY turkey hunters that don't bag a tom each spring, but I know TONS of bowhunters that don't bag a buck...
Old 03-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually a deer is only able to see roughly 12 feet clearly, its not their site you have to worry about, its that long nose and the big floppy ears. As for turkeys, they are the hardest to kill. They have excellent eyesite and can see a twig move 30 yards away. Since they cant smell worth the crap scent control isnt needed for turkeys, but they do hear very well. Now killing a turkey with a bow is extremely hard, I got my first turkey with a bow last fall, I have been turkey hunting for 16 years. Its easier to kill a deer with a bow than it is a turkey.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I assume, since this is a bowhunting forum, that you mean fair chase bowhunting (yes, bwanajim, there is such a thing, evenin Texas )for each species. In that case, it's no contest. Turkey.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think I'd have to go with turkey's on this one .I've never had as many turkey's get real close to me while hunting asI have with deer hunting .
It's a close call either way .
I'm pretty sure this post will be a close one .

nubo
Old 03-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Turks
Old 03-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

id say deer because you can call them in much easier even though they have very keen eyesight.

Quick Reply: whats harder to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.