Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 spot-hogg and sword sights >

spot-hogg and sword sights

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spot-hogg and sword sights

Old 03-09-2006, 12:18 PM

Default RE: spot-hogg and sword sights

Gibblet,

You have been working to hard on those dang strings...take a break and get away from those women with no teeth.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:52 PM

hey, when a company tells a friend of mine it must be the risers fault that the 2nd axis on their sight is off, it bothers me. it bothers me for a couple reasons - 1) he's my buddy and he's out of some hard earned cash, 2) you can't count on somebody else to set your 2nd axis at a factory and get it right, 3) when you spend good money on a sight you should be able to adjust your 2nd axis without shimming the sight. who's going to be confident in a shim?

i try to warnpeople about weak arrows, and a sight that hasn't got all the features it should yet, and anything else i know about (his was one of the more expensive ones for 3d where its necessary).

and finally, you're not gonna mess around with one of my buddy's, blame his bow,and not expect folks to find out. i'm not beholden to any company. i don't think things are the best because its what i have,and i say what i think.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:15 PM

And I said what I think unless you have one I dont think you can comment about all Sword sights!! My level is fine but I dont have the paticular 3d sight you are talking about.I use mine for hunting purposes anyway!!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:13 PM

i hear ya d. most of them probably come out right, but you can't count on it. when the first person comes on here and tells me you can adjust it i'll shut the heck up. but if you're thinking about investing money in a 3d sight you should know you can't adjust the 2nd axis on these. i don't like a friend getting his head pee'd on just to have the company tell him its raining - and you wouldn't like your friend being treated like that either.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Take the level off and nobody has to worry about it. For serious 3D, maybe its necessary but for hunting its almost worthless.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take the level off and nobody has to worry about it. For serious 3D, maybe its necessary but for hunting its almost worthless.
I disagree with this comment cougar. 2nd and 3rd axis is vital if you strive to be as accurate as you possibly can.

It takes 20 minutes to set them both and having them set correctly does increase shot accuracy as long as you use good repetitive form and hold your bow plumb according to your level vile from your axis adjustments.

I don't even have to look at my level vile to know thatthe bowis plumb. The feeling is imbedded into my shot sequence from repetition.

By checking the vile each shot in practice it becomes second nature to hold your bow plumbjust like hitting your anchor points.

The only way it would be worthless is if one does not want to put in the time to become the best shot they possibly can.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:50 PM

i have the sword apex micro 3rd plane and i absolutly love it... have never owned a site as nice as this one... built super strong too
Old 03-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I honestly don't think it's even CRITICAL to have a plumb bow every shot.

Look at it this way.....

As a former golf professional.......I would DEFINITELY teach students to have a mechanically sound routine and swing. BUT......there are MANY, MANY golfers on the PGA Tour (Jim Furyk, for example) who have untraditional means and methods.

The bottom line is......if you do what you do (be it a golf swing OR a bow shot) .....and you do the same thing every time.....then the value of proper mechanics is diminished. I'll take the guy w/ poor form who shoots all the time over the guy with perfect form that doesn't practice. Another way of saying this is.........I practice...and I hunt. I practice the way I hunt, though. I don't remember EVER looking at my bubble.....even though my Hunter Hog has one. I'd never look for it in a tree.....so I don't on the ground.

Just another opinion......

Jeff
Old 03-13-2006, 01:20 PM

makes alot of sense SB
Old 03-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

SB

The bottom line is......if you do what you do (be it a golf swing OR a bow shot) .....and you do the same thing every time.....then the value of proper mechanics is diminished.

I guess we just don't see eye to eye on this one. I can't speak for golf as I have never played but feelI am qualified to speak on behalf of archery and shooting form / sequence.

An error in archery form / shot execution multiply's the longer the distance the arrow travels. Let's say for one example that someone suffers from shot anticipation and flinches left or right at the release each time. A very common form of target panic.

Let's say in a perfect world this person flinches the exact same every time. He would be able to sight his bow in at agiven range.

Now lets back up 10 yards and see if the arrow still holds its line (left and right) to the target. There is not a chance the arrow would have the same point of impact on the horizontal plane.

The error will multiply over distance every time, there is no way around it especially becausewe don't live in a perfect world and it is impossible to do the same thing every time. There are alsoto many othervariables out of our control to contend with such as light conditions, wind etc. etc.

Just my opinion.

[/align]

Quick Reply: spot-hogg and sword sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.