Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot placement thoughts... Shoulder blade. >

Shot placement thoughts... Shoulder blade.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot placement thoughts... Shoulder blade.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot placement thoughts... Shoulder blade.

I shoot for the vitals no matter if I am using my bow, muzzleloader, or rifle.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:00 PM

I guess everyone just assumes we are talking about deer, or I might have just skimmed over and not seen that part. While I agree that a shoulder shot is not the best way to go on deer, a look at hog anatomy will tell a different story. Shoot a hog very much behind the shoulder, and unless he is quartering away your odds of recovering him have drastically decreased.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote from previous reply:

When an animal has (BOTH) of their front shoulders broken, they are not going to go far. This is a method that is used to stop grizzly bears. It offers ultimate stopping power on dangerous game, and so the same any animal (including deer)

This is true about hogs, but the original question from davoh was regarding deer.

quote from davoh:

Anyone shoot their deer in the shoulder with an arrow?
Old 03-06-2006, 04:26 PM

Guess I just have hogs on the brain right now.

The deer discussion may now resume.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:49 PM

shoot for the lungs.stay away from the shoulder period with a bow and arrow.......unless shooting with a firearm.if im shooting at a trophy buck a will hold a little on the shoulder so he doesnt go as far.if im doe hunting with a gun i will shoot behind the shoulder so you dont mess as much meat up.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I always try to get right behind the shoulder because my dad always told me that a shoulder shot will prevent a pass through and keep frombleeding the deer out. But, I have taken shots at elk That have gone through the shoulder and it was no harder to find the elk than the deers I have droped. Though I did hear the shoulder break, it sounded like a tree branch breaking
Old 03-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

.My personal experience is a double lung hit with a bow puts a deer down within sight, or ear shot if your hunting in thick brush, and if you hit the heart its even quicker. Guns kill by blunt force, broadheads kill by mass hemorraging.

ORIGINAL: Davoh
What do you guys think? Personal experience would be helpful.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I am going to go against the grain somewhat here.

IMO if we are strictly talking about deer it depends on exactly what you are shooting.

Certain set up I wojuld most definetly stay away from the shoulder and leg bone. Such as my sons set up. He is only drawing 45 pounds with a 25" draw and shooting a relatively light arrow. Rib cage and broadside or quarting away only with him.

Other set ups I would have absolutely no problem shooting down through the shoulder or leg bone if I needed to. I personally shoot a 500 grain arrow and generate 80+ foot pounds of KE. With this set up I have no problem at all getting through the vitals after going through the shoulder blade or leg bone, or even through both legs, of a deer.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like every hunting video has at least one bow hunt in it where the hunters arrow hits the shoulder with lots of arrow sticking out. They always seem to recover them and some look to die in sight. I often wonder how when it looks like six inches of penetration with most of that being in the shoulder.........dabow
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 AM

Just for anecdotal evidence My dad shot a 200 lb Feral Hog in the shoulder blade with a 60 lb PSE 10 yrs ago and got a clean pass through
I would have to see the shoulder blade with the hole thru it to believe it. If you study deer anatomy you will see why the shoulder blade isn't where you want to put an arrow. Not a high percentage shot with a bow.

Quick Reply: Shot placement thoughts... Shoulder blade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.