Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bought my 8 year old son a Hoyt Rintec and have some questions >

Bought my 8 year old son a Hoyt Rintec and have some questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bought my 8 year old son a Hoyt Rintec and have some questions

Old 03-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bought my 8 year old son a Hoyt Rintec and have some questions

Well I bought my 8 year old son a Hoyt Rintec. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know didly about compound bows. I’m new to the whole sport and have a couple of questions.

What brands of sights are considered to be good ones? I don’t know the difference in what makes a sight better than another or what type or brand most of you prefer. Then there’s the stabilizer. Is there a general size or length that I should consider? What’s the rule of thumb that everyone goes by?

I don’t know who’s more excited about the bow, my son or me. I do now this, he sticks to me like glue regardless of what I’m doing so I’m thinking this summer should be a lot of fun for both of us. We signed him up for a 4H archery class and he’s having a blast so far shooting the recurve bows.

I’m hoping my oldest son age 12 will show some interest in bows and want one as well but for now he’s partial to computers and doesn’t care much for hunting or target shooting.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bought my 8 year old son a Hoyt Rintec and have some questions

Most companys are making pretty good sights these days. I would recomend one that is rugged for your young son. For him I think a six inch stabalizer would be good. Just start him out with some walmart stuff and you can replace it cheap. have fun with your boy.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I would suggest looking at getting cheaper items to put on the bow to first start out. Unless he's going to be hunting with this bow in the near future. The reason for this is that he might be a little rough on the bow and the accessories might have to be solid in construction to match to use.I would also check out local bow shops in your area. I know of a couple around here that hold onto old equipment(sights, prong rests, older quivers)just for the exact reason your asking!During the slower periods of the year like now, they will put that older equipment on your son's bow for NO cost at all, setup the bow to fit your sonand give him a few lessons to get him going. Just helping kids get into archery is their outlook and I commend them for it. I would take a serious look at doing that.

Hope this helps.

Pat
Old 03-03-2006, 08:32 PM

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA FROM MOTOWN AND HAVE FUN, I'M ALSO TRYING TO GET MY BOY TO THIS SPORT HES JUST 7
ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Most companys are making pretty good sights these days. I would recomend one that is rugged for your young son. For him I think a six inch stabalizer would be good. Just start him out with some walmart stuff and you can replace it cheap. have fun with your boy.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like good advice gentlemen.

Actually the Pro shop that I ordered the bow from is where he is taking classes. They have a ton of new and used items but I just wasn’t sure what I should be looking at. The Pro there is a bit of a salesman which makes sense because that’s how he’s making his living. I just didn’t want to get talked into something that most would pass on.

I tell you guys, I can’t get enough of this stuff. I found this sight a couple of months ago and have met a lot of good people here. Sense then I have bought about everything under the sun that has to do with hunting and am having a blast doing so.

I have three boys ages 12, 8, and 4. I wish my oldest son would show interest in the sport or even just hanging out back with me and my other two boys decked out in camouflage watching the wild life. My 8 year old is like me in that he can’t get enough of it. Then there’s my four year old, he’s a trip. He’s defiantly to young and fidgety to take hunting, but a blast to listen to while sitting out back in the woods.

I don’t think some people realize that there’s much more to hunting than just killing animals. Peta activist see it as a blood sport and fail to realize the bond you create with your kids. What better way to teach them responsibility and to just simply sit and listen to all the things they have to say.

I know I got of the subject of my post but just thought I’d share what this new sport has done for me. I feel lucky.