Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Weightlifting and Exercises to increase draw weight on bow >

Weightlifting and Exercises to increase draw weight on bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Weightlifting and Exercises to increase draw weight on bow

Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Weightlifting and Exercises to increase draw weight on bow

What are some good weightlifting or exercises to help myself get stronger to pull more poundage back on my bow? Thanks for all your guy's help!!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Default RE: Weightlifting and Exercises to increase draw weight on bow

Ha, I was just about to ask this. I would like to know too.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seated rowing, shoulder shrugs, anything to build upper back and shoulder muscles works wonders. Also just practicing every day and moving up a few lbs at a time so as not to over do it.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Concentrate on your back and shoulder muscles....place a knee on a chair or bench and and lean over and pull dumbells up to your chest....seated rows, push ups, chin ups, and stomach exercises...a good strong stomach helps maintain balance...guess one wouldn't assume that looking at some top shooters.. good topic.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

These are called a bend over row. Using a single dumbell, stand, bend 90-degrees at the waist. If using right arm bend left knee slightly and move the left foot's heel, even with the right foots toe. Grasp dumbell with right hand and pull it SLOWLY up as far as you can by bending your elbow. SLOWLY move the dumbell back down. No quick or jerking movements, slow and steady is best.

Three sets of 8-10 reps at the maximum weight you can do will build your muscle.

Now, this may seem weird because it does not involve pulling your arm (rather pushing) but is very important to building a well-rounded muscle group,it's push-ups!

Once you get going with the first part for a week or so, add the pushups immediately following each set. it's called "super setting" and it really pushes your muscle tissues.

So it's like 10 reps bent over row and as many push ups as you can do right away.

Believe me. You'll see a thicker upper arm and a nice tricep popping out.

But I am giving you this info to help you with your bow. Don't be flexin out at all the chicks around town.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rows are definately a big help like others have said. I also like to gradually increase my bow poundage.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is the way I do it but I'm a young gun.....Vertical body presses work for me....Put your hands on two posts and bend your legs. While you're hanging there let your body go down and the press all your body weight straight up...this really works the shoulders/triceps....like I said only do it if you can only press all you're body weight up vertically.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Dominant Buck

A what poundage are you currently shooting and why do you want to increase it ?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dips are #1 , pull ups , rows , bench press ,curls
Old 03-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

All mentioned are good exercises. I would stongly recommend seated rows, lat pull downs, rear delts, and shrugs along w/ some basic chest exercises (flat bench, incline, flies). Through in a couple of bicep & tricep exercises for good measure.
Your body should be as tuned as your bow. You don't want to have one muscle group be disproportiantely stronger than another.

Quick Reply: Weightlifting and Exercises to increase draw weight on bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.