Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Full moon means no deers? >

Full moon means no deers?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Full moon means no deers?

Old 02-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Full moon means no deers?

1 deer, 2 deer or 9 deer....I've never heard of deers...
Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 PM

i see deers all the time
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM

I wouldn't pay much attention to that. You can't get one sleeping!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had much luck around a full moon. When I do see deer it is usually in the afternoon.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 PM

even the guys that came up with deer hunting around the moon phases will tell you that the weather has alot more to do with deer movment then the full moon!!deer move during the night any way what does a little more light do. my sugestion is to hunt as much as you can during the season definitly during the rut no matter what the moon is doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Site Buck Guru

When the moon is full, I still hunt because you never know when or why deer move, especially during the rut. I see less deer during a full moon and I believe it is because the moon makes it seem lighter, earlier in the morning, so they seem to bed earlier. It also makes it stay light longer in the evening, so they seem to bed longer before coming out in the evening. I hope this makes sense.

Supposedly, deer move more at mid day during a full moon, but I don't hunt a lot during this time.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

During the rut, it makes absolutely no difference if the moon is ful or not, if their hormones are raging, they arent going to stop just because the moon isnt full. It CAN effect them, make them run harder because of better sight and what-have-you, but the rut is the rut, they run come hell or high water. They want a hot doe more than they care about how effective their eyesight is...
DS
Old 03-03-2006, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

me and dads BEST day ever was a full moon....on the 20-30 minute drive there in the dark we seen more deer then ever.....probably 30 or so just iwth headlights..one MONSTER buck on the dirt road stood there for the longest time....i was dying.....we had him right outside the window for a good couple minutes....we blew the horn and made him run deep into the woods so some slob(big poachers up there) wouldnt shot him.....hunting that day dad shot a doe at first light after passing one....while gutting and tagging it 4 more ran across..i dropped mine...we seen a bunch more...dad still had a doe tag i didnt...but we were waiting a little while....9am another big group of atleast 6 came through...i never thought to see a buck...told dad theres deer and to take one...hes like OH! a nice buck!...hes trying to get a shot(yes dad taking a buck over his son that never killed a buck) hes waiting for it to move from behind a tree....i was like ya right! BANG!...my first buck! a nice little 6pt!!! we were dragging 2 does and a buck by 9am opening morning...seen MORE deer on the 3hr drag out.....we seen over 20 deer while hunting by 10am that morning....it was awesome.....dont know what was up...we did have an awesome spot...but man ive never seen so many deer!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:58 AM

Now, if someone could just get the deer to read the results of all these studies and follow the rules we've laid down for them, hunting would be a whole lot easier!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 AM

I will tell you something I have noticed.If there is a full moon or a day on either side of the full moon I always see twice as many deer from 11:30
till 3:00. That is why most pepole dont see as many on full moon because
thier movement is more inthe middle of the day.They seem to move more
all night then lay down for a while in the morning.Get up and move till right
up till a couple hours before dark,lay down again and get up right at dark.
Of course you will still have some deer thatWILL MOVE NO MATTER WHAT!!If the doe a buck is with moves guess what he is going to move!!
The doe movement dictates everything this time of year!!

Quick Reply: Full moon means no deers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.