Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whisker Biskit or drop down rest?? >

Whisker Biskit or drop down rest??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whisker Biskit or drop down rest??

Old 02-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whisker Biskit or drop down rest??

Ive shot the whisker biscuit for yrs. and still have one. but the muzzy zero effect has got my heart now. awesome rest
Old 02-26-2006, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: bullethole

If you want less (no) drag and full containment (all the time) try the QAD Ultra Rest.

Are people out there really worried over losing 1 fps??

REALLY???

I find that hard to believe since there are so many other products that people use that slow bows down even more.........yet you never hear anyone talk about it. Silencers, peeps, tubing, loops, etc all rob way more speed then 1 fps and no one has a problem using them........some guys use them all at the same time..........but the WB gets slammed for it.

Interesting.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I have dropped deer and shot excellent scores with the WB, doesnt matter slow or fast, it works, so why change. Guess it still comes down to personal choice! [8D]
Old 02-26-2006, 08:13 AM

I don't think the WB is being slammed here at all. The ORIGINAL question was asking about a rest with less resistance on the arrow. In my experiences the WB has a 3-5 fps loss, sounds like resistance to me, so I answered appropriately.

There is no doubt the WB isa fine rest indeed. I have several friends that shoot them and they are happy with them. But there is more than one arrow rest on the market, and just because someone chooses to use the WB doesn't mean eveyone else is wrong for not using it.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

[8D]hope it didnt sound like i was, i used the drop aways several years ago, but switched to WB on suggestion of pro shop. I liked it and less worry about the arrow falling off in the stand. For me, 3D is practice for hunting so why not use the same one i use in tree stand..... but there are so many choices just got to choose one you like! [8D][8D]
Old 02-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Well I guess I am gonna be "old school" here.... Muzzy Zero Effect!!Kinda weird to consider the ZE old school but when you see the amount of drop aways since the ZE was the big new item of discussion I guess it would be considered old. Seriously, I have been using a ZE for about7 or soyears and on 4 different bows and I just can't make myself change. It isn't the prettiset thing but man it works and it makes me happy and confident. On the other hand, I have set up Whisker Biscuits on three buddies bows and they absolutely love them and wouldn't change. I will say that they all did lose anywhere from 2-4 fps. with them and they did have some wear on their vanes for a little while ,but that always went away after the bristles softened a little bit in time. really, as in all equipment questions, it all boils down to what each person likes. You have to make that decsion yourself. It seems to me that these days everyone gets so caught up on speed and squeezing out every fps. they can get out of thier bows. Man it just isn't that big of an issue with me. I mean, the extra speed is nice, butI remember killing deer with my old High Country Hunter and a heavy old aluminum log with a 125 Thunderhead on the front of it, and none of those deer died any BETTER than the ones shot withmy Outback with 391 gr. GT's. If you like what you shoot and you stick your broadhead in the lungs, it works!!!Good luck on your choice, I think you will like it either way.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

ok...i see now that they are both good rests but another thing i was thinkin was...don't the vanes on ur arrows get like all messed up and my friend was tellin me they have specific ones that u can put on and have less dammage to the vanes...so thats one and hers another...which one would be easier to set up????[&:]
Old 02-26-2006, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I don't think the WB is being slammed here at all.
I didn't mean here..........just a general statement that is commonly spewed by those who try to find negatives with the rest.

just because someone chooses to use the WB doesn't mean eveyone else is wrong for not using it.
I certainly don't see where anyone was saying that.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

my votes for drop away
Old 02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Hoytteen

ok...i see now that they are both good rests but another thing i was thinkin was...don't the vanes on ur arrows get like all messed up and my friend was tellin me they have specific ones that u can put on and have less dammage to the vanes...so thats one and hers another...which one would be easier to set up????[&:]
Yes, there are better quality vanes that will hold up in the biscuit better however I do not feel it is necessary. IMHO the biggest reason people are seeing vane damage (and other problems)is they are using the wrong size biscuit opening. I shoot standard "cheap" 4in vanes with no damage or problems at all.

If you are shooting standard carbon arrows you shoulduse the large opening biscuit. NOT the medium unless your carbons are thin.This can be confusing because the package shows the mediumbiscuitisrecommended forarrowswith a20XX or smaller thickness while the large biscuitis for23XX or smaller thickness. Howeveryouwill also notice that you should have a0.03 gap at the topbetweenthe arrow and the biscuit as well as some around the sides.

I have found that with the medium biscuit,while I dohavea gap at the top of thearrow,it's not quiteenoughfor my BemanICS 340Camo Hunters which are about theaverage size carbon arrows. The large biscuit allowsa little more room and I think it makes a huge difference.

Below is the size chart from Carolina Archery. Notice the Large is recommended for 23XX (.359) or smaller aluminum arrows but does not mention carbon at all. I think this is where people go wrong when buying. They don't see the word "carbon" so they assume it's only for aluminum arrows.I feel the medium 20XX(.312) is ever so slightly too smallfor my arrows are that areslightly larger than.32 therefore I should be using the next size larger for a proper fit.

To make matters evenmore confusing onsome of the older packagingonly shows sizes forutsert carbon biscuit, insert carbon buscuit,aluminum biscuit and fishing biscuit and I think added to the mess.

The packagingstates thatthe "outsert carbon biscuit" is .26 and is the recommended size for outserted carbon arrows, 17XX or smaller aluminum arrows and NOT recommended for inserted carbon arrows.

The "insert carbon biscuit" is.32 and is the "recommended" size for an inserted carbon arrowbutcan also be used with anoutserted carbon arrowor withaluminum arrows that are 20XX or smaller.

The "aluminum biscuit" .36is recommended foraluminum arrows but can also be used for both inserted and outserted carbon arrows. I think most people miss this andjust buy the .32 because it says "insert carbon arrow"

Now, I'm not saying you have to go out and buy a micrometer and measure your arrows just to buy this rest. What I am saying is, if you are shooting an inserted carbon arrow, (probably the most common) odds are you are right around .32 +/- andthe medium biscuit is, at bestborderline big enough.You will get better results by shooting the large biscuit.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Whisker Biskit or drop down rest??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.