Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting for a living >

hunting for a living

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting for a living

Old 02-24-2006, 08:53 AM

Default RE: hunting for a living

I can throw my real life experience into this debate. I worked for 7-8 years as a professional whitewater guide out of Ohiopyle, PA. Guided on the Yough, Cheat, Big Sandy, and Russell Fork. The first few years it was awesome work and I loved doing it. After three seasons it became a drag to the point that I stopped kayaking for fun. If I wasn't getting paid then I didn't paddle. It has taken years to get the desire back to paddle again. Now when they call me to fill in on busy weekends I politely decline unless I'm the last resort. I do enjoy fishing from a raft and that is about the only time I get on the river for fun.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Site Buck Guru

Where do they hunt that they freeze day after day? It couldn't have been in Ill. where I was. I just hunt for myself no sponsers or anything, andwear different layers of clothes according to the temp.I hunted from Oct. to Jan 10th. The month of Nov. I take off from work and hunt every single day. The first three weeks of Dec. were cold but I mostly hunted evenings, which I think are better than mornings at this time of year. Getting up at 4:00 AM every day is no big deal for meeither, as that's what time I get up every day, all year long. It is hard work getting out there that often, but it is rewarding for me to see the things I'd miss if I wasn't there. Getting that deer makes it that much better. My point is that I do it for free and love it. But I'm with Rob, If I was doing it for money, the added pressure of being expected to perform would dull the fondness that I have for the sport. I went through this with competitive archery. I was sponsered and worked my way to the top in amature events for about 7 years. One day it wasn't fun anymore, it was like a second job. I stopped competing and now I have fun again. Don't get me wrong, competing was fun to a point, but everything that I do is to the extreme, I just got to learn where to draw the line. Boy have I rambled. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think that thecold or early mornings have anything to do with it, as that is hunting. It is the other stuff, like your tennis or my archery competitions that can make it not so fun. BTW, I could never be a guide, I like to shoot all the trophies that I find!
Old 02-24-2006, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: ropedawg

hey greg you a pro staffer for bowtech, so what do that mean...

It means they pay him $100,000 a year just to shoot their cool looking bows......
Old 02-24-2006, 09:52 AM

Either way Pro-hunter or TV which now really goes hand in hand. It is ton's of work, that partI think most people don't see. Now a days it is like hitting the lotto to have that as a job. Far and few.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I can relate, I work two jobs one for an Auto maker in Logistics that provides Insurance, benefits, and excellent pay. I don’t hate it but most of the time would rather be somewhere else.

I’m also a professional photographer. That job is by choice. It started of as a hobby and I loved it, couldn’t get enough of it until it became a job. The business kind of grew on it’s self and now occupies much of my free time. There’s records to keep, taxes to pay and the customers; oh the customers. Now a days, I don’t even pick up my camera for personal use. I actually bought a small point and shoot for my kid’s birthday party’s just so I don’t feel like I’m working.

Sometimes when you get what you wish for it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Been there done that.

Rob hit the nail on the head yeah it sounds like fun but believe me it is a lot of hard work.

I was a roo shooter back home for 10 years, life is a lot easier when you have a real job where you put in your 8 and go home.

When you are a pro hunter there is no such thing as an 8 hour day and you dont get paid OT my average day was 16 hours in the field.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most "professional hunters" own a company or something to generate an income besides strictly "hunting". If you can cover all of you're hunting expenses with sponsors and what-not, that's why most of them do it because they would be doing it anyway.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 AM

Looks fun to me. Better than what I'm doing now!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

I'm pretty sure I could deal with being a pro staffer. As long as I didnt become a slave to the brand.

Not so sure about being a tv host. I refuse to plug a product if I dont beleive in it, and I'm too much of a skeptic to beleive in all the snake oils and magic potions there are out there these days.

All in all though, I'd still rather be sitting in a treestand all day than behind a desk all day.

If I ever win the lotto though, I'm going to produce my own independent, NO SPONSERS hunting show.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:39 PM

I Remember Jack Brittingham's videos from just a few years agao years ago and that was they way he did it. Now if you watch his show it is differant with TV their is no way to avoid it.

just the way all TV is now a days.

Quick Reply: hunting for a living

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.