Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thunderhead broadheads >

Thunderhead broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thunderhead broadheads

Old 02-25-2006, 08:43 AM

Default RE: Thunderhead broadheads

I have used them for 12 years with ablsolutely no problems. I know some people that have switched from them for no reason other than they are not a flashy head. They have been basically the same for many years (although this year a new one is coming out) and I think people are just intrigued with trying new things. They are as reliable as I think you can find.

As far as matching up with fields points, dont use field points. I shoot mine all summer long with just the ferrule and the point. I remove the blades. Basically giving you a long skinny, pointed field point. Then when season comes, I put the blades back in and they fly exactly the same as the ferrules did all summer. I put a little edge back on the tip and awayI go.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I've probably shot my last 50 whitetails with Thunderheads. I've made perfect hits, questionable hits and plain dumb AZZZ hits. The heads have never failed me. In that time I had one blade chip but it could have just as easily been on a rock when it went throught both shoulders and stuck in the ground. I've even gone to the point of buying several others and playing with them, but I never did like any better. They're solid. Make sure you use the UBARs on carbons.
David, just to show my ignorance, whats a ubar? thanks.

Bobby
Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

A UBAR "Universal Broadhead adaptor ring". Basically it's a small washer that bridges the gap between a small diameter carbon shaft and the lock ring used to retain the blades. I had to use these this past season when I went to carbons.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:12 PM

well actually do to my lack of experience then, i never touched them, just cleaned em and felt them and they felt good as new so I used it again. Even though it still feels good as new I nowknow better and always change the blades.

[/align]
Old 02-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Site Buck Guru

I used to use thunderheads and shot a lot of deer with them. I've had them break or lose blades when hitting bone a couple of times too. When I started shooting in broadhead tournaments I switched over to Wasp SST Hammers. What I found was that the Wasp's aluminium washer used between the broadhead and the arrow insert, worked much better than the thunderheads rubber o-ring, for keeping the broadhead in alignment with the arrow shaft. I check this on every broadhead that I install by spinning the arrow on an arrow spinner with the point lined up with a line on an index card lying on the table below. I had almost zero point wobble with the Wasps, but I had to really mess around with the thunder heads to eliminate the point wobble. I think it was because the rubber o-ring would squish out un evenly with the thunderheads. I believe that the wasps are a tougher blade as well, they have a sharper, trocar point similar to the muzzy, and the sharp edges of its point aslo line up with the blades to enhance penetration. They have the same or nearly the same cutting diameter as the thunderheads also. The wasps were easier to tune, sharper and tougher than the thunderheads and flew the same. I cannot say that there was a difference in accuracy, because if any broadhead is tuned to the arrow, they should all fly good. I love the wasps, killed lots of deer with them, and won't switch until something better comes along.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never had a problem with Thunderheads on game, but I started using Muzzy because I got tired of my T'headsfalling into multiple and sundry pieces every time I unscrewed them from the arrow. [:@]

Muzzy is a much stronger head, much better blade retention system and Ilikethe Trocar points much better than the punch thru typepoints like T'head uses. And you don't have to have them freakin' UBAR's! T'heads are good but Muzzy is better, IMO.

Now I won't use anything but cut on contact heads.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

A UBAR "Universal Broadhead adaptor ring". Basically it's a small washer that bridges the gap between a small diameter carbon shaft and the lock ring used to retain the blades. I had to use these this past season when I went to carbons.
I didn't know that as I just switched to carbons last year but up to 30 yrds shooting with fingers I'm getting a baseball group. I'm going to have to cheque that out. Thanks for the info.

Bobby