Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cut on contact / 4 blade fixed. >

cut on contact / 4 blade fixed.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cut on contact / 4 blade fixed.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default cut on contact / 4 blade fixed.

I have been debating on what head to try next season , I am between magnus stinger or slick tricks, here is the question I have.
Is the better penatration of a cut on contact moreeffective or is the larger cuting area of a 4 blade more effective? I often hear that penetration is key but going with that theory a field point should be the best penetrator out there.
It seems that the lower amount of blade area the better penetration but the lower amount of damage it will cause on the way. On the other, the more blade the more drag and less penetration.
What are the opinions out there? thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 09:53 AM

Default RE: cut on contact / 4 blade fixed.

your kinda worried about all the wrong things. either of the two you mentioned is more than capable of a pass through. What you have to do is your part, which is to put the arrow where it is supposed to be. if you don't know exactely where that is then you have some work to do. don't expect the broadhead to bail ya out when you make a mistake.

I found the magnus stingers to be easy to to in my setup and I had good luck with them. Never tried the slick trick so I can't comment.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:53 AM

First off, what have you been using . . . and why do you want to change?

I've been thinking about going to a two blade like the Stingers only because I've heard they shoot closer to your field points than 3 or 4 blades. BUT! My bow guru indicates the 2 blade has it's own set of tuning problems. It's been my experience that the 2 blade penetrates deeper than a 3 or 4 shot from the exact same bow. But the 3 blade provides better "arrow" dynamics when lined up with your fletches.
I also used the NAP Spitfire mechanicals. They shot noticbly closer to the field points, but I never recovered anything I shot! I hunt Elk, Mulies, large animals. So I gave them away.
I wonder if there is an in depth study done somewhere on the internet?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:58 AM

I've done an in depth study and this is what I found out. If my shot placement is correct and where it should be all the broadheads work just fine. When my shot placement isn't good the reults vary widely depending on how bad the shot placement was.

with good shot placement all broadheads leave a good blood trail when the shot placement isn't so good the blood trails are not good either.

It's up to you to get good shot placement so the broadhead can work.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll bite....I like the slick tricks because they fly like field points, have a 1" or 1 1/8 inch cutting diameter which is a good size for penetration, and have 4 blades for that little bit of extra cutting. They also have some of the thickest, sturdiest blades of any broadhead. I don't know if I trust mechanicals on deer - too many horror stories. With all else equal, I'd rather have a 4 blade than a 3 or 2 blade.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I hope this thread runs until we have covered them all. This will be my first year in the field and I want to get it right.

From what I’ve read so far, both mechanicals and fixed blades have both positives and negatives. I think Bees is right. Shot placement is the key. Matching that up with a tip that fly’s like a field point, penetrates well, and leaves a devastating whole should allow Mother Nature to take care of the rest.

So let’s hear it Pilgrims, what’s your tip choice and why.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another good looking 4blade is the new Muzzy MX-4. I like the short heads with 4 blades. If you break a blade on impact, you still have 3 left! Slick Trick blades are thicker than Muzzy's although both are great heads.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the magnus stingers last year with good sucess , nither the slicktrick or the muzzy are "cut on contact" heads , 2 blade heads work great allso and I personaly have had no tuneing issues with them , thru years of use . Your other cut on contact choices are , ziwicky , phantom by muzzy and steelfource , and some others Im sure Im missing . IMO lineing up blades with fletching is useless .
Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

In responce to Game 4 lunch, last year I shot wasp before that I shot muzzys. I have a pretty fast setup and would like my broad heads to hit exactly where my field points do. The muzzys and wasp were ok but not perfect, Ialso wantsomething that I could use on other animals besides deer also. Animals like wild hogs that are tough to take with a bow. I am would rather get one head and stick with it. I own several mech heads but have decided not to use them due to the problems that seem plauge them.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:55 PM

Go with the muzzy's. IMO you can't beat em'.

Quick Reply: cut on contact / 4 blade fixed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.