HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Decreasing poundage for Turkeys (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/133741-decreasing-poundage-turkeys.html)

Trembow 02-20-2006 03:08 PM

Decreasing poundage for Turkeys

Can anyone tell me why one would want to decrease the poundage on their bow for turkey hunting?

mobow 02-20-2006 03:42 PM

RE: Decreasing poundage for Turkeys

Simple. 2 reasons.

1. The bow is easier to draw inside a blind and sitting down.
2. This is the better reason, to drop the KE limiting penetration. You really don't want a pass through on a turkey. Unless you bust their wings they will fly off. Shoot a big mechanical head, drop the poundage and burn up the KE keeping the arrow in the bird.

fletch920 02-20-2006 03:43 PM

Easier to draw in a sitting/kneeling or other odd position. Also, you are better off on turkeys if the arrow stays in them a lot of the time. You dont really want a pass through. Thats why some hunters will put stops on the arrow shaft.You get more of a shock factor and the shaft interferes with the wings.

hunttones 02-20-2006 03:45 PM

A lot of people who bowhunt turkeys don't want a pass through shot. If the arrow is in the bird he can't fly away especially if you hit him broadside through the wings. Some people will not agree with me but I achieve the same thing by using slightly dulled broadheads. This stops the arrow in the bird and pins his wings so he can't fly as well. As for slowing you speed, I leave it the same and hit them hard because they are tough.

IL-Cornfed 02-20-2006 08:47 PM

As mentioned above, the machine will be easier/smoother to draw and will allow you to hold at full draw longer while you wait for that Gobbler to position himself perfectly. You will also reduce penetration some which many folks desire. I personally prefer to turkey hunt with my deer rig so I don't change a thing other than switching to a large cutting Rocket. Good luck and good huntin' this Spring.

NCYankee 02-20-2006 09:43 PM

I shoot mechanicals for gobblers, so I don't adjust for them. You can pass thru a whitetail easier than a turkey because the deer's weight and stability resists the arrow's forward movement, while the lighter weight turkey will move with the arrow. I'm not saying you could never have a pass-thru on a turkey, but chances are you'll knock him down and the arrow will stay in him. Now if you're shooting at 80 lbs it may be a different story!

nubo 02-21-2006 06:36 AM

I don't drop my poundage for turkey's ,but I use Muzzy grasshopper's with my Spitfire100 mechanical's in order to keep the broadhead in the turkey .
I understand the reasoning's for dropping the poundage ,but i don't want to have to retune ,for the fall deer hunting .

nubo

Techy 02-21-2006 07:30 AM

I am not disagreeing, just stating the other side. Me and all my buddies hunt turkeys with the same stuff as deer. We use any broadhead really, I usually use a fixed. And we all blow right through em. We havn't lost one yet. Last year I took a perfect broadside shot and it blew clean through both wings and he ran 10 yards and died.:)

countrymudder 02-21-2006 07:37 AM

Easier to draw if your in a blind and you dont want that arrow goin plumb through a turkey now do you.

Trembow 02-21-2006 08:37 AM

Thanks guys.

I guess if you're either overbowed or even "fully bowed" it would be quite a bit harder to draw while sitting or kneeling.

I've always been a bit underbowed myself, but looking at it from the other perspective it makes sense.

I can also understand prefering a non-passthrough, but I'd think an equipment change like either a grasshopper or big mechanical head like a vortex or something would make more sense.

Thanks again for the info!:)