Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ground hunting

Old 10-21-2002, 09:16 PM

Default ground hunting

does anyone out there hunt from the ground and not a tree stand? I would like to know if anyone can give me some pointers on how i can see more deer.I would like to hunt in a stand but there's no were to put one were I hunt,there's nothing but thin trees.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:41 PM

Default RE: ground hunting

Eater,
Been several posts on the subject on this board and the dh board. Do a search and you will find lots of stuff.

Sooner

"Size isn't important, but it HELPS!!!"
Old 10-22-2002, 05:27 AM

I hunt from the ground. I just can not get used to being in a stand. I am learning that in the area that I am currently hunting that I am going to have to get use to it, or hope the DNR does a controlled burn the thin out the thick stuff. I love to hunt the thick stuff and IMO the deer relax a bit when in the deep cover, it just so dang thick right now that you have to be a bird to get into it without sending the deer running.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt from the ground a lot, when hunting from the ground the most important thing to consider is the wind! If there is no wind then you will have problems if your groud blind is on higher ground than where the deer will be moving, your scent will travel downhill many times. Generally I will preseason scout and see from a distance where the deer are moving, if there is a prevailng wind I will only set one stand, if the wind shifts than I set 2 at least sometimes 3.

Number 2 in the list of importance on a ground stand is two things, one is that you can see well from within the blind, yet your outline is well broken up or totally concealed, second and just as important as the first is your backdrop must also conceal you or your outline well.

Always make sure that you have good shooting lanes in as many directions as possible and you can move and shoot without hitting a limb or making noise. This one bit me yesterday, I had 2 doe within 10 yards that never enetered a limb free shooting lane. Every time you think you have all the bases covered you will have a deer find one you didn't!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2002, 03:21 PM

this is my first year bow hunting and i've decided to do it from the ground. i have seen deer everytime i've been out including 2 nice 10 pt. bucks. although all the deer i've seen havent come within range i have had both the bucks within 10 yards, one fork horn within 2 yrds and several does. as an ameture i've boched every occasion and still haven't managed to get a shot. 3 of the most important lessons i've learned are 1) scent control, i use hs scents earth flavor scent elimator spray, and i haven't had a deer wind me yet even with the wind at my disadvantage 2) don't set up in excessively dense cover, if you sit still and are head to toe camo they won't see you. the more cover the more noise you make when trying to move to set up for the shot. i had a deer jump a fence 2 yards from me in the open, i sat still and he looked for a minute but then started grazing 3) draw your bow before you move to set up for the shot. draw then turn, stand-up whatever ...just draw the bow. in the past i turned, stood whatever then they freeze and know something is not right and i can never draw. if you draw then move you can shoot while there trying to figure out what's going on. that's my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

This is my first year out as well and I too will be hunting from the ground. I don't plan to use any stationary blind other than the woods themselves. I've heard good things about earth scent wafers and plan on using them in the woods.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:54 PM

Hunting from the ground is a real thrill but if you lack the stealth to still hunt, can't find a suitable tree in that 'perfect spot' or just want to spend an all day hunt out of the wind and nasty weather you can't beat hunting from a Double Bull blind. As a dealer and user of Double Bull hunting blinds I can attest to there effectiveness. True, they are expensive as an initial purchase but the years of service you get from a Double Bull will be worth it in the long run compared to scrapping a cheap blind after a year or 2 of use, and you'll appreciate the quality when your in strong gusty winds and your blind isn't caving down or flapping in the wind. The new Predator Deception camo on the T5 ProStaffs and the T2 blinds blends very well in almost any environment. For whitetails I'd recomend getting the optional shoot through netting for the shooting windows to hide the dark window shapes from the deer. I've sold close to 100 blinds in the last year and have yet to hear a customer complaint about the blinds. For the taller hunter I'd recomend the T5 ProStaff recurve model which is 6" taller than a regular T5. With any model you'll need to shoot while sitting on a stool or kneeling so it's a good idea to practice shooting from these positions. You need to be as scent free as possible hunting whitetail from a blind. A carbon suit is a good idea but not essential if you bath with scent free soap and use a scent eliminating spray. Close the silent window flaps as much as possible to keep breezes from drifting your scent around. A blind is the best way to hunt those spots that don't offer a decent tree for a stand site and it's a GREAT way to take a youngster hunting. Feel free to email me with any questions on Double Bull blinds. [email protected]
Old 10-23-2002, 08:38 AM

I often hunt from the ground when I don't want the hassle of moving the tree stand. Scent control has to be number one. Make sure the wind is in your face and don't set up to close to trails.

I have been fairly successful on the ground. Often deer see me but if you stand perfectly still they will not be able to make out what you are, especially if they can't smell you. Last week I had three does within 5 yards.

I find the toughest part on the ground is drawing your bow when deer are close. That takes patientce and experience.

Quick Reply: ground hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.