Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Todays hunting shows >

Todays hunting shows

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Public land hunts with plenty deer but less "monster buck" sightings
12.90%
Guided hunts on unfamilar land that some else has managed and scouted
3.23%
Privately owned and managed land hunts
6.45%
"average" buck harvests that average joe can relate to
14.52%
Informative hunts that focus more on info and technique than a kill
24.19%
A mixture of all
35.48%
Other(explain)
3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Todays hunting shows

Old 02-12-2006, 05:47 PM

Default Todays hunting shows

I have hung around the site long enough to see there are many different views and beliefs expressed here. I am trying to get the ball rolling on a few ideas I've had for a long time now. Many people I speak with are tired of the way hunting shows portray the world of hunting. I hope to get enough info from you guys to really make a difference within the next 5 years or so. What is most important to you when watching a hunting show, and what would you be more likely to sit through for 30 minutes?? Feel free to express your opinions. I need as much info as possible. I'll probably be posting alot of questions about products and shows and such, your honest opinoins will help the way I do my business to serve our hunting lifestyle. Thanks everyone for your help. I realize some of my questions and ideas will come off as silly to some, but thats life.

Would you rather see:
Old 02-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Todays hunting shows

I wishmore filmed hunts were on public land where it would test your skills. I know more than likley the bucks will be smaller but they would be a whole lot smarter.I don't care that so and so shot a 180 class buck on some private landhunt where they are trained to come into a feeder or food plot. I don't like watching private land ranch elk hunts either. Same for any other type of big gamehunting,keep it on public land or unfenced big private land without food plots and you'll have my attention. I'll add in states out west like in Montaina or my home state of Idaho many of big bucks are taken each and every season on public land. To me that would be a hunt worth filming.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:11 PM

I'm sure we will get a bunch of posts about how todays hunting shows are unrealistic and only about selling products.
Hey, remember the days when there was no Outdoor Channel, Mens Channel, OLN, or The Sportsman's Channel? Would you rather go back to those days? Didn't think so.
Anyways, I voted for "a mixture of all", because not everyone wants to see the same thing over and over. If you like the show, watch it. If you don't, turn the channel.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Public land, because that is what I hunt...
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

In your poll are you asking what we would like to see or what do we feel shows have in them mostly today?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

I voted for a mixture with my reasoning being show all facets of hunting. In this way I believe it would satisfy more hunters in general. I'd even enjoy a series from a producer with week one showing pre-season scouting techniques, with ensuing shows showing stand placement, using scents, shooting practice and tuning, etc. interspersed with video of deer before and during the season, with the final few shows showing the actual hunts of those areas.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM

I would also vote for a mixture. It would be nice to see a show that the hunter doesn't kill that P & Y on the first day out. I would like to see a show where it depicts a season much like mine. That would be many days invested, close calls, and finally the moment of truth. I would like to see a show where the only food sources are the oaks and persimmons and the nearest fence is the white picket one you drive by getting to the mountain. That would be a hell of a show.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:22 PM

Here's my idea, (feel free to hire me if you like it okay? )

Reality shows are all the rage right? Well why not make a real reality show for hunters?

You pick a dozen or so "regular guys" who happen to be pretty good hunters. You do a national search for hunters all over the country who
1. have varying skill levels (a beginner or two, an old gaffer, a couple pros, the rest fill in).
2. Can dedicate at least "x" time to hunt.
3. Normally hunt in diverse locations (public, outfitted, private, hunt camp, backyard, wilderness...)
4. Have interesting personalities, weren't hit too many times with the ugly stick, can communicate, etc..

You start the series off with a competition of some sort where you bring together 50 or 100 hunters who all meet the basic criteria. You have a skills competition, interviews, etc.. to pick your dozen. It doesn't have to be totally fair, I mean you're casting a show right? Anyway.

You send your chosen ones home with a videographer to hunt the way they always would, but with their professional videographer tagging along.

We would check on each or some of them every week in a new episode. Have a website (hmmm...HNI?) where you could chat with/about them, offer help, advice, etc so the viewers get involved...

Perhaps add a bit of a challenge where if they meet some sort of goal (shoot a doe maybe?) by a certain date they get to fly out to some camp/ranch/etc. where they all get to hunt "together" for a week. This could also guarantee at least a few episodes with big bucks in case it's a rough year or something.

Think about it from a sponser point of view too. They could get their product shown on TV being used by regular folks (whom we've already screened for appearance, character, personality, etc. )

Maybe you could do teams (me and my buddy Tom for example) instead of or in addition to individuals. Would give even more of that "regular guy" experience, sharing stories, commiserations, etc. rather than the "solo hunter" view you always get from shows today.

Sorry so long, but you asked! I've got a million ideas!

Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 PM

good idea trembow!
Old 02-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I Quit watching them. I watch the doodle bops and wiggle worms

Quick Reply: Todays hunting shows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.