Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise >

New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

Old 02-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

i cant believe what people pay for sights, my 15$ wal mart tru glo is really bight and tough(6 years, 3 bows) ive drop it out of the tree at least 5 times and sat on it bumped it,etc. as long as it strong and bright its good. i use pins that are wrapped on the pin tight or incased inside the pin for extra protection.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:39 PM

Most sights out there are pretty good, but for durability, I would go with something all metal. Maybe something with a little pin light would be nice too, when you are right at the end of shooting time, you appreciate the little extra "glow".
For the rest I can't beleive no ones mentioned the ripcord. Really a great rest and will definitely be my next. Whisker bisquit's not a bad choice, as that seems to be the favorite. The main reason I'm not a big fan is the fact that the arrow is in full contact at all times. I prefer drop-aways because you worry less about fletching damage and noise, not to mention a possibility for erratic flight if you torque the bow before the arrows gone.
With a release, theres a lot of preference with comforability, but my only recomendation is don't try to set a light trigger like with a rifle. That can lead to some bad habits. Trust me on this, I know from experience.[:-]
Old 02-12-2006, 04:57 PM

I use the viper sights and rip cord fallaway
Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

from what i've used here's my advice:

Vital bow gear sight, scott wildcat release, trophy ridge dropzone rest, any sort of stabilizer: keep it short though since you're going to use it for backpack hunting, def. get a wrist sling, and you'll probably want a peep sight: tru-peep being my fav.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

I've got a nap quicktune drop away and a copper john three pin. first time I didn't go with a cobra sight. scott little goose release.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have a trophy taker drop away rest, But I recomend a whisker biscuit due to the ease of tune and its forgiving nature in hunting.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 PM

i just bought the switchback xt and i using the whisker biscuit rest.I used it on my last bow and wouldn't have it any other way. People say that it slows the arrow down butnot enough to make that much of a difference. Good luck!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bradkoz

i cant believe what people pay for sights, my 15$ wal mart tru glo is really bight and tough(6 years, 3 bows) ive drop it out of the tree at least 5 times and sat on it bumped it,etc. as long as it strong and bright its good. i use pins that are wrapped on the pin tight or incased inside the pin for extra protection.
Most of todays sights are pretty decent. The cheap ones will do just fine. Some of them have metal housing but generally the more expensive ones are built a little better, have easier and more adjustment along with etched calibration marks, and longer extensions. Some people find these upgrades worth the money. Some don't.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:10 PM

I shoot a 2003 BowTech Extreme VFT and swear by my accessories. I have the Trophy Ridge Matrix Drop Zone rest and the Trophy Ridge Matrix 5-pin sight with .019 steel pins and the night light.

Never had any problems. The rest is super easy to tune with windage on the sides for adjustmentonce it is mounted. Same with the sight. Once mounted, you have finger twist windage to move up/down/left/right. Super Easy.

Trophy Ridge products are pricey, but worth it. Reliability!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

youngbuck, I had the Nitro Extreme and loved it. The Spot-Hoggs, HHA's, Copper Johns, Impacts, Vital Bow all look like very good sights and I'm sure anyone wouldn't go wrong with them. The Viper looks pretty good, too. I'd like to own all of them. But I was quite happy with the Nitro and went with the Rhino on my new bow. It has just about everything I'm looking for in a quality sight. The only thing I can see with the Rhino that I would change is the fiber optics loop over the top of the housing and seem like they are exposed to possible bumping against something and damaging them. I can't remember if it was a TR sight or another, but I saw one that had metal mesh that attached around the fibers. Looked like a pretty good idea.

Quick Reply: New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.