HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Best hunting Sights? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/132115-best-hunting-sights.html)

Missouri Migr8r 02-07-2006 08:28 PM

Best hunting Sights?

I am looking to spend around $90-$110 mainly for hunting and a little 3D. I would like to get a 5 pin model. I have been looking at the Cobra Sidewinder LX and the Trophy RIdge Matrix. I was concerned about the LX and the slider bar vibrating loose. I was also concerned about the Trophy Ridge sites and the plastic on the site. I am looking to get something durable that I can use a long time. I am also looking at the Copper John Dead Nuts 5 Pin with the protective cap, but I also heard the pins were a little flimsy and easy to bend. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks in advance!

JB

Gut Check 02-07-2006 08:46 PM

RE: Best hunting Sites?

Missouri Migr8r-

What type of sight do you shoot today? Single, 3, or 5 pin?

I tried moving to a 3 pin from a single pin and had it on my bow less than a week. It was the Copper John Dead Nuts. It was a great constructed sight but I was just accustomed to the HHA single pin that was adjustable. Plus the HHA is extremely bright allowing me to hunt to the last minute of available light.

What do you you think the farthest distance you will shoot your bow? Where I hunt in Northern Missouri, I would be lucky to get to shoot beyond 40 yards. I have but only once. Iam not trying to sway your decision as it is your choice andI am sure that you know why you want a 5 pin.

Don't forget about Toxonics. They are built in our backyard in Wentzville and theyare a quality sight. Look at the K9 5 pin if you want a 5 pin. They have a fair bit of fiberoptics that give them fair amount of pin brightness. I have also heard great things about the Spot Hogg. They are priced above the budget you mentioned though.

Ifyou decide you want a 3 pin, I have a Copper John DeadNuts that has about 2 hours of shooting time on it.:D

Good luck...there are a lot of excellent sights out there these days.

Missouri Migr8r 02-07-2006 09:07 PM

Gut Check,

I just got my bow a couple weeks ago. Bowtech Old Glory 2006 from Dunns in Pevely. I have already put on a Deluxe Whisker Biscuit. I understand what you mean about not needing to shoot further than 40 yards. I am wanting 5 pins because I would like to get into 3D. I know you could still do that with 3 pins, I just don't want to go out and buy another site if I want 5 pins.
I will take another look at the Toxonics.

I had a 5 pin site before on my old bow, but like you said I hardly ever used the last two. I have never used a single pin. I guess it is something new to me and I am a little nervous to try it.

Thanks again for posting

JB

Gut Check 02-07-2006 09:15 PM

Congrats on the new bow! How do you like it so far?

Who did you deal with at Dunn's? I am sure you probably remember from a post a couple months ago, but Dunn's is less than 3 minutes from my house.

Missouri Migr8r 02-07-2006 09:22 PM

Nathan took care of me. I started hearing some bad stuff about the limbs on the Bowtechs. I thought about trying to trade it out and boy am I glad I didn't! This bow is sweet and it is SUPER fast. I really enjoy shooting it. Can't wait to miss my first deer with it:D

aeroslinger 02-07-2006 09:33 PM

MM, I had a Nitro Extreme, which is a step down from the Matrix, but similar. I really liked it. I thought the vertical pins was a good idea but after I set it up and shot it I wasn't sure. Guess I was just used to horizontal pins. I eventually got to really like the v.i.p.'s and now prefer them. The Nitro came with .29 pins but I changed them to the .19's. Some people prefer the larger pins but for me they were too large. I don't know if the light and bracket come with the Matrix or not. If not, I would recommend it. It really lights 'em up in low light. Its about $12 or so for the light and bracket. I also like the pin adjustments. No tools, just flip the cam lock and adjust and lock back down. I had the 5 pin model but rarely used even 2. My new one has 5 also. Just nice to know they're there, I guess. All those you mentioned seem like pretty good sights.

Virginia Mike 02-08-2006 08:56 AM

I put a Spot Hogg on my bow last off season and it is really great. I will never switch again. It is stronger than most anything on the market and easy to adjust and has 5 pins. I love it. Good luck and get whats right for you.

Mike

JLmoore1956 02-08-2006 08:57 AM

RE: Best hunting Sights?

Me last year I switched to the Montana Gold Dusk Devil and love it. Shooting better groups and easier to use when shooting......

shed33 02-08-2006 09:47 AM

I have had the Trophy ridge, and ended up switching over to the Copper John Dead Nuts, I just couldn't get comfortable with the verticle pins, I realized I liked having open airspace between the pins, especially in lower light condtions. The Copper John is here to stay for me.

Trembow 02-08-2006 09:57 AM

I really like my VBG trapper, but the problem with the inline pins is that they obscure what is below your aiming point and leaves you uneasy about your elevation.

This year they came out with an angle pin design with allows you clear view if what is left, right, above and below your point of aim. They also have just about the brightest fiber optics on the market.