HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Drop rest or Whisker Biscut????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/131664-drop-rest-whisker-biscut.html)

huntingmatt418 02-04-2006 07:12 AM

Drop rest or Whisker Biscut?????

I'm on the maket for a new rest. I've been looking at the WB now for a couple of weeks. I hunt and do a little bit of 3d shooting. Anyone have any suggestions? I like the WB but, I don't want to have to change my fletching on my arrows. I also like the Trophy Taker drop away rest.
????????????????

BOWFANATIC 02-04-2006 07:38 AM

RE: Drop rest or Whisker Biscut?????

I've used the Whisker Biscuit and like it. It's great for hunting.

I now use the Muzzy Zero Effect and love it! It's great for hunting and even better for 3d shooting.

game4lunch 02-04-2006 09:01 AM

I use the WB for evrything. I believe the shooting is in the shooter, not the equiptment. Obviously you have to have well tuned gear, but after that what becomes the variable? The shooter.
Are you saying the WB would require you to change the fletchings? I use arrows with knocks that rotate. A simple turn, and fletchings are instantly aligned. I did screw up a little last fall. Was practicing during a hunt one day and noticed all my groups were at least one pin low! I'm freaking out thinking, "What if that 32 X 40 bull was in my crosshairs?!" After taking a sedative and a shot of wqhiskey I realized I was knocking the arrow upside down and the odd colored fletch was passing through the black whiskers. Kicking the aroow up just slightly.
Other than some human error, absolutely no mechanical, or weather related problems.

Pat Curtis 02-04-2006 09:16 AM

I used the WB for a couple years. Took down a few deer with it on, as well as shot 3D tournys with it on. Loved it, besides the factit wore my fletchings down a little after dozens of shots thru it.

With that said, I switched to a T.R. Drop Zone the past summer. Love it even more.

Overall, my opinion is this: If you do a lot of stalking/still hunting a WB is great b/c you can walk through brush and thickets while the arrow is still ready to fly. If you mainly hunt from stands, I'd go with the Drop-away rest.

fl.huntress 02-04-2006 09:30 AM

whisker biscuit all the way....don't go in the woods without mine.:D

bowtech_tribute3 02-04-2006 10:04 AM

go with the whisker biscut. i cant trust the drop rest when im in the stand

early in 02-04-2006 01:35 PM

I love my Wisker Biscut, shoot nice groups and have arrow security!;)

Allseasonhunter7 02-04-2006 01:40 PM

whisker biscuit if your a hunter i cant imagine the need for a drop away

Rick C. 02-04-2006 01:52 PM

I really like my WB, but don't use feather fletchings with it. I have a gobbler getter head/arrow combination, the WB tears up the feather fletchings. No problem with plastic fletching/vanes.

Arrroman 02-04-2006 03:46 PM

Use a quality vane or feather fletching, and tune your bow with the correct spine arrow and you will find the fletching lasts a long time.

No arrowrest will magically tune you bow. And just because the whisker biscuit will funnel every spine arrow you own into a pie plate at 20yards that doesn't mean the bow is in tune or the rest is set right.

The correct fit for the biscuit is loose not tight.

The bow should be set at an even tiller. Simply backing both limb bolts out the same number of turns each will be close enough to even tiller for the bow to start tuning.

The biscuit should be parallel to the bowstring and the arrow should be nocked at 90degrees to the bowstring.

The windage for the rest should be determined by shooting the correct spine arrow for the bow at 10-20-30-40yards. The correct spine arrows for the bow will hit the same vertical line at all distances while the incorrect spine arrows will not.

You can leave the the arrow nocked at the 90degree position on the bowstring. If the arrow hits nockhigh or nock low in the target you can correct the tiller of the bow by simply adding tiller to the bowlimb that is in the direction that you want the nock end of the arrow to go.

You don't need a bowsquare or a laser to tune the bow in this fashion and all adjustments can be made with a wrench.

Good luck tuning!

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>

kwilson16 02-04-2006 04:26 PM

Whisker Bisquit all the way. I understand the use of drop-aways for 3D shooting but the WB is completely silent and holds the arrow in place (regradless ofbow attitude/positon) during long hours on the stand.

NY Harvester 02-04-2006 08:58 PM

If you do a search this topic has been beat down.
That beingsaid ,
I got rid of my WB for a drop zone, much better for me.

Rob/PA Bowyer 02-04-2006 09:11 PM

Not a fan of the WB....

longbeardbuster 02-04-2006 10:24 PM

I am using a Ripcord fall away rest and really like it. You can flip it
up into position, if you want, and you would just about have to
turn your bow upside down for the arrow to fall out of it.

aeroslinger 02-04-2006 11:03 PM

I've never used a drop away but I'm sure they are great. I've used the TM hunter type, Bodoodle Pro, and the WB. I really like the WB. I shoot very tight groups and can't really see another rest getting any better. There are other rests that contain the arrow but doubt any are better than the WB. I shoot both plastic vanes and feathers. The plastic vanes will get a little wavy after awhile but usually by that time I'm ready for new ones anyway. I've read you can heat the vanes with a blow dryer and they will straighten out but, as stated, I usually just re-fletch. The feathers work just fine and I actually may like them better. I use Gateway feathers and they are a little stiff when new and after several shots thru the WB they soften up which I like. Eventually they will start to wear down but, just as the vanes, its usually about time to re-fletch anyway. Using aluminum arrows I was getting some noise on the draw. I waxed the arrows which eliminated the noise, although I don't really like the feel of waxed aluminum. I also sanded some of them which seemed to work also. I have went to carbons and no noise problem. Simple rest. No moving parts. Always performs as needed. I am totally satisfied with it. Like NYH said, you can do a search and find a ton of threads on the WB and maybe some info to help. Good luck.

Hikchick 02-04-2006 11:06 PM

I use a RipCord dropaway as well. Now that I've shot with it I'll never change to anything else! Not quite sure where you are from, but one thing that most people don't talk about is that if you are ever in really cold weather with rain or snow your WB will freeze up and become more stiff. Something that really rips up on your fletchings. Not to mention that the "whiskers" can wear out fairly quickly as well. I'd like to get a WB for both of my kids bows. They are 2 and 4 and have a hard time keeping the arrow on the rest while trying to shoot. But definately the drop away!!!

Bradkoz 02-05-2006 12:59 AM

i have had the wisker biscut for 4-5 yrs. just changed my biscut this year. i use feathers, i spray them and the rest with NO SNOW. i have never ever had a freeze up. 5 arrows touching (the arrows not the feathers) at 20yds. how much more accurate can you need unless shooting purely for compitions. i shot around 1500 shots this year then replaced my feathers, they were shooting fine i just had the time and they were looking alittle worn. ive seen feathers shoot straight even when one or two are really worn out or missing chunks.

DaveH 02-05-2006 05:13 AM

I've used the NAP Quicktune 2000 dropaway for the last 2 1/2 years and couldn't be happier with it. It's performed flawlessly every time and is very quiet as well.

Duse500 02-05-2006 05:52 AM

I switched from the WB to the qad ultra and wont go back

maytom 02-05-2006 02:52 PM

For strictly hunting situations, a WB works better since your arrow can't fall off the rest!! For more target vs hunting, or looking for the perfect groups, a drop away will be your best choice. I went to the trophy Ridge Drop Zone along with a string loop on this new bow, and I love it!!
I use mine 50/50!! Target and hunting.
;)

dynatec 02-05-2006 03:52 PM

drop aways can't be beat,absolutely no contact with the shaft there for no torquing or any other problems one might have. As for containment with a arrow clip placed on the shelf you can walk through the woods with an arrow nocked and ready to rock and roll.MUZZY ZERO EFFECT

Okie48 02-05-2006 04:23 PM

I dont like to tie any thing on my cables that I dont have to, I dont like all the mechanics of the fall aways. Keep it simple. Use a whisker!