Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you all do?? >

What would you all do??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you all do??

Old 02-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Spike

Default RE: What would you all do??

Well turtleshell, I had a good relationship with this cousin before this too. He just started bowhunting about 3-4 years ago. I helped him put up stands, scout etc. He was always in here comparing cam photos etc. Kind of why I was in shock that he pulled this stunt....just showing his true colors I guess.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree there's a couple way's around this NYBowhunter had a great idea in putting up mock stand's ,but I'd removeyour stand that's nearthe one he put up beside your's, and make him think that he's won or double think his choice thinking you may have found an even better spot in this bush .[Just use your climber there }
But I also agree that you could come to some agreement so as though your not running into each other .It's really best for both parties to be able to work together .He got permission and regardless how long you've been hunting there he still has the right .Who know's what he told the landowner ,he may have told him that you were cousin's and hunt together all the time ,and the landowner probably thought that there was no harm ,so he was misled so to speak.
This could be a touchy thing ,because if the landowner think's you guy's are fighting ,he may just boot the both of you's .
It's best if you's can work together and come to an agreement ,I'm sure there's room for both of you's.
I've been through this myself and I've been able to work out a great agreement with the other guy, we're able to hunt together and in opposite location's of the bush and still have good success. You don't have to share all your secret's with him and it could work to your advantage .
I hope you's are able to work out a compramise , this could work to your advantage ,he may walk in and spook up a deer in your direction without realizing it .
Iknow your pi--ed about the way he spoke to you ,but you can salvage this without hard feeling's,just try to work detail's out as a team.

nubo

nubo
Old 02-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

dtabor...

sounds like your getting a lot of good advice from a lot of different angles. I can give you a landowners point of view. I own and operate a pretty good piece of prime whitetail ground (not bragging, just for basis) and have dealt with the public all of our lives in terms of hunting permission and the like. We have had haystacks burned down to the ground, fences cut, cattle shot in guts, and a whole ball of b.s.. It led us to shutting it off to the public actually. I would bet, and correct me if I am wrong please, that the only time the landowner hears from you is right before hunting season. You call him to get permission or talk with him once in a while about the deer population, etc.. Its a fact the locals here griped about us letting public hunting on (for nearly 33 years...managed, of course) and they gripe just as much now that they are cut off. It is also a fact the even when we did let the locals on, as well as out-of-staters, the only time we heard from the locals is the night before season or 5:30 a.m. the morning of. It is a more important fact the the "out-of-staters" were the only ones who kept in contact year round, sent us jerky and homeade stuff with cards at Christmas, bought us hunging gear, sent us gadgets, or even offered to come a few days early and help out with the work. Wow. In over the over 40 years my family has owned this land, not one local offered these things. It's not that we need or even want those things, its the point. Where I am going with this? I agree with the suggestions that you should try and heal up with the cuz...give it an honest effort. When it doesn't work out, plan ahead and don't be a short term general. You need to get on a more personal level with the landowner...my guess is that you are already after hunting this place for 15 years....but get closer, and be sincere about it. Don't be shallow, we see through that. Ask if he needs help around the property, be observant and suggest your labor for things like mending fences, piling deadfall, posting signs, feeding stock (?), planting acres, etc.. Don't address your current situation with him yet. I suggest letting this year pass and work on next year...if your cuz doesn't come around with a sincere attempt, then try and preserve your hunting for you and yours, but don't let it be a blood bath. I know hundreds of people like your cuz, and he will only ruin it for himself in time. His loss. You move on if you must. But be careful with the landowner, he'll get fed up with the both of you because he has much worse problems of his own, I am sure. He'll end of leasing it out to someone with a lot more cash than the both of you and you will both be up the creek. Befriend the landowner, even if you don't hunt there, because you never know what the future might bring. Give something for something in return. You sound like a good enough hunter that you can adapt to any situation. Your cousins misery is his own, don't let it infect you, but man your assets.
This is an excellent post here guys ! Read it twice.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

sometimes talk just dont cut it...then>
Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 PM

Yea Rickmur, born and raised. Fame has its price, though.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 PM

Thanks, TerryM. This fella's in a tough postion, eh?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If my cousin did that, we would be flappin up some dust and the best man win, after all its family. I do believe that senority has the advantage and I wouldn't back down.
How big is this area and how far is his stand from where you put yours.

Bobby
Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Spike

The property is (WAS) huge until now because they are developing all but the small strip of woods that my stand was in. I have hunted this entire property since I was a kid being taken out by my father. There have always been 3-4 of us on the property during bow season, me in my strip of woods, another local guy in an orchard on top of the hill and another local guy off the edge of a field quite a distance away. A few years back another guy who rents near the land had a stand down the powerline from me about 200+ yards. We always worked together and never got in anyones way. If someone shot a deer, we'd get together and help track it by leaving notes on each others vehicles and meeting after the hunt. It wasnt a friendship thing, just fellow hunters helping each other. BUT, after all those years hunting, I found that my spot was the best for deer sightings, the strip was/is between a powerline on one side and a fence that is around the town highway garage property. It funneled deer right thru those trees. Trails were all thru there right burrowed into the mud.

A Mt Bike trail was put in thru the orchard and along the edge of the field so that killed those two stands and they moved on, the renter guy moved away so that left me in my strip of woods.

As much as Id like to fight this, Im thinking that even if I do "WIN" the battle, Ive probably lost the war as he would somehow sabotage my hunting there.

D
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 AM

I've seen SEVERAL very nice buck, and one booner that had bed down right next to mtb trails...I wouldn't discount a spot just because bike trails are there.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Be careful. I lost a piece of great hunting land after this greedy cousin that inherited 200 acres next to the 300 I was on did not want me hunting there. He started taking about how "unsafe" it was and complaining because his cabin got broken into. They knew I didint do it but it was just an excuse for him. He did not want me hunting out there at all. I guess he thought 500 acres was too small for two people. After complaining enough the landowner just got tired of the hassle. So I was told I could finish the season out and then I had to clear out. Man I miss all the hogs and deer that were out there.

My main point is that the landowner probably doesnt want to have to deal with any BS. You may both end up getting the boot especially since yall are hunting for free anyway. I would try to work it out with the cousin and just share the place. Sounds like there is plenty of room anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.