Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you all do?? >

What would you all do??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you all do??

Old 02-03-2006, 07:12 PM

Default RE: What would you all do??

What would I DO? Well, I'd stay pissed for a LONG time (which is stupid, I know), and I'd find another place to hunt. In my opinion that spot would be totally blown. When you're not there, you have NO IDEA what he's doing in there, how much noise he's making, how much scent he's leaving...I wouldn't hunt there anymore.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:25 PM

what i would do is tellthe land owner that he put up a deer stand on his land b4 asking permission. That might make the landowner see that the guy is a jerk. I would also tell your cousin what this guy did and if your cousin sides with the jerk than your cousin isn't a nice guy.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Because of your cousin's behavior, I would certainly bring it the landowners attention, if your close enough to the landowner. I don't tolerate that kind of behavior towards me from non family members, I sure as heck wouldn't from my own cousin...he deserves no respect from you and the farther away from him the better and if that means getting him kicked off a good hunting area, then so be it....I've read here people writing of "right"...neither of you have the "right" to hunt there, the landowner gives you permission....remember that and perhaps remind your pathetic cousin of that same information....if you are successful at terminating your cousins permission, be prepared for backlash...and good luck.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:23 PM

Sure would be a shame if that "cousin" of yours turned up missing... joking. I would do what some of the others would do, and talk to the landowner. After all, he does have the authority to change your cousin's plan.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Walk away and be the bigger man. I know its easy to say but if this escalates into something bad how will you feel later? Leave the bugger alone to gloat in his excrement. Ask yourself if it is really worth it. Do you want your kids to learn how to be an adult or act like a testosterone filled teenager? Who cares? Just walk away. You sound like a reasonablle man. Stay that way and smile. Tit for tat is for children. An eye for an eye is for hill billies and countries that are at war all the time. You will enjoy a peacefull hunt. After all isn't that why you started bow hunting?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: bighorns35

put up a couple decoy stands in some off the wall spots. that way he will think thats where you hunt. then take the climber in to your good spots. ole tactic we use. sometimes out foxing the other hunters is more of a challenge then the hunt itself
That's a good 'un bighorn! Do you fella's ever worry about getting your stands stolen, or do you just leave the steps out?

Old 02-03-2006, 09:59 PM

dtabor...

sounds like your getting a lot of good advice from a lot of different angles. I can give you a landowners point of view.I own and operate a pretty good piece of prime whitetail ground (not bragging, just for basis) and have dealt with the public all of our lives in terms of hunting permission and the like. We have had haystacks burned down to the ground, fences cut, cattle shot in guts, and a whole ball of b.s.. It led us to shutting it off to the public actually. I would bet, and correct me if I am wrong please, that the only time the landowner hears from you is right before hunting season. You call him to get permission or talk with him once in a while about the deer population, etc.. Its a fact the locals here griped about us letting public hunting on (for nearly 33 years...managed, of course) and they gripe just as much now that they are cut off. It is also a fact the even when we did let the locals on, as well as out-of-staters, the only time we heard from the locals is the night before season or 5:30 a.m. the morning of. It is a more important fact the the "out-of-staters" were the only ones who kept in contact year round, sent us jerky and homeade stuff with cards at Christmas, bought us hunging gear, sent us gadgets, or even offered to come a few days early and help out with the work. Wow. In over the over 40 years my family has owned this land, not one local offered these things. It's not that we need or even want those things, its the point. Where I am going with this? I agree with the suggestions that you should try and heal up with the cuz...give it an honest effort. When it doesn't work out, plan ahead and don't be a short term general. You need to get on a more personal level with the landowner...my guess is that you are already after hunting this place for 15 years....but get closer, and be sincere about it. Don't be shallow, we see through that. Ask if he needs help around the property, be observant and suggest your labor for things like mending fences, piling deadfall, posting signs, feeding stock (?), planting acres, etc.. Don't address your current situation with him yet. I suggest letting this year pass and work on next year...if your cuz doesn't come around with a sincere attempt, then try and preserve your hunting for you and yours, but don't let it be a blood bath. I know hundreds of people like your cuz, and he will only ruin it for himself in time. His loss. You move on if you must. But be careful with the landowner, he'll get fed up with the both of you because he has much worse problems of his own, I am sure. He'll end of leasing it out to someone with a lot more cash than the both of you and you will both be up the creek. Befriend the landowner, even if you don't hunt there, because you never know what the future might bring. Give something for something in return. You sound like a good enough hunter that you can adapt to any situation. Your cousins misery is his own, don't let it infect you, but man your assets.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good stuff there stickman. Do you own along thatfamos Milk River? BTW, welcome to the board.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone for all the great input on this.

I think the decision Im going to make on this is to talk with the landowner, or as the case may be, his caretaker, as the landowner has passed away and the caretaker is who I now deal with. Ive known him for years and he is aware of what went on this past season. Im not sure just how well my cousin knows him.....

After that, I'll see where he (caretaker)is coming from on this. If he seems to be pissed enough to ban my cousin, I MAY get back on there but as someone said, it may be ruined now anyway and if he loses access, he may (is) vindictive enough to sabotage the area for me anyway.

After this all happened, I gained access to a pretty good chunk of land about 3 miles away from all this. The landowner has known my family for years, worked with my sister, so that makes it easier. It borders a HUGE posted area that manages the area for deer/wildlife so in the long run it may work to my advantage.

Thanks again everyone!

D
Old 02-06-2006, 07:54 AM

If it were MY cousin he'd have a black eye. Luckily I get along and am really close with my cousins because we grew up hunting together. I couldn't imagine one of them ever acting like that. I'm sorry for you. I'd keep my chin up and try to work it out....I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.