HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is This Really the Winners' Choice? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/131545-really-winners-choice.html)

stillhunt04 02-02-2006 08:17 PM

Is This Really the Winners' Choice?

My bowstring is wearing out kind of fast...and it wasn't a very good one to begin with. It's constantly stretching and wearing out in places. Now, this isn't to say I don't wax my bowstring, because I definately do, but they all do this eventually I guess. Somebody told me about getting a new string at Winners Choice. Supposedly they won't stretch on you. Does anyone have a bowstring made by them? Do they stretch on you? Any help would be appreciated.

gibblet 02-02-2006 08:24 PM

RE: Is This Really the Winners' Choice?

stillhunt, you may want to think about getting some bcy-ml6 wax. its tacky like the cheap textite, but it also has silicon in it. its the best wax ever (my opinion). people i've advised to get it, and that have, can't believe it. for the types of fibers strings are made of, the non-silicon wax won't do. anyway, it may get you a longer life out of your strings - which you'll definately want if you fork over the cake for WC.

Greg / MO 02-03-2006 01:22 AM

stillhunt,

Since Gibby here wouldn't toot his own horn (which I admire, by the way ... :)), you really need to get in touch with him and try his strings. He's been making them for a TON of very satisfied customers, and I've read literally hundreds of glowing reviews putting his strings right up there with or above Winner's Choice -- for a whole lot less $$, too.

RIStrutStopper 02-03-2006 06:43 AM

Winners choice strings are great, they won't stretch on you. I never had a string by Gibblet, but there's enough support for him on this forum that I would give his strings a try in the future.

BF1947 02-03-2006 09:21 AM

I use WC strings. Have used Prostrings. BOth with equally good results. There is nothing better for a bow than a good set of strings. That being said I would also have to say to ask Gibby about his strings. WC's are very good but cost in the neighborhood of $100 a set.

As he also says, the ML-6 wax is superb, highly recommended by both BCY and Brownell. However, I've also used Black Lightning at the shop and find it does a masterful job. It's kinda what you can find in a particular shop that you have to use, but it's reommended to use a silicon based wax for today's man-made fibers.

stillhunt04 02-03-2006 04:21 PM

Hey thanks for the replies guys, I did not know that about the silicon wax, I am definately going to try that now. I am just getting frustrated with my string stretching...and you make strings Gibblet??

aeroslinger 02-03-2006 05:31 PM

Hey still, I've got a Vapor Trail string on my bow and so far I really like it. Here's a link http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/ I've read nothing but good about gibblets strings, though. That might be the way to go.

liquidorange 02-03-2006 09:22 PM

i had a winners choice put on my bow this year and although no real stretch it is fraying like crazy. i wax often but it is way fuzzy compared to the stock jennings string i had on for 4 seasons.

Rob/PA Bowyer 02-03-2006 09:38 PM

Let's remember the industry standard on the term stretch...

Stretch is a temporary elongation of an object, in this case..your bow string.

Creep, on the other hand is the permanent elongation of an object in this case, your string...

I know we all talk stretch rather than creep when talking strings so I thought I'd throw that in there for ya's....:eek: ;)

Your string creeps with age, break in....etc...a rubber band stretches...;)

gibblet 02-03-2006 10:08 PM

yep, you may hang out in the tech section with the rest of us nerds sometimes and see some pics.