HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shed Hunting Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/131315-shed-hunting-question.html)

cameronmclain 02-01-2006 02:45 PM

Shed Hunting Question

I've got some questions about shed hunting. I've never done it, and don't know anyone who does.
Do you just randomly walk around the woods? Or do you stick to game trails and bedding areas? Is one shed side generally close to the other? I appreciate the help! Good luck!

Trembow 02-01-2006 02:56 PM

RE: Shed Hunting Question

Yep, yep and yep sometimes.

The best time to start is early to mid February in most areas of the country. Before we moved, I would go for walks every week starting January 1st and cover the same areas within the smallish piece of woods behind my house.

Best bet is to stick to ridgelines (stay high, concentrate low, bucks usually walk halfway up along a ridge and if their antlers fall, they often tumble down once or twice.) bedding areas and field edges, the places where bucks will hang out for longer periods of time after bedding down. Don't go trudging through thick swamps or really heavy cover. Maybe there are sheds in there, but you'll never find them! Not on purpose anyhow.

GO SLOW!!!!!

A good tip also is to practice. You need to learn how to train your eyes to find the subtle shades of brown/grey/white that you're looking for and the shapes too. Get yourself one antler (preferably not one too big or one you care too much for.) Go out in the woods, close your eyes and toss it out in front of you. Open your eyes and go find it.

I've trained myself to be able to spot an antler on the side of the highway at 55mph, but sometimes I'll nearly step on them in the woods even when I'm looking for them.

Oh and did I mention: GO SLOW.

buckhunter14 02-01-2006 03:47 PM

Trem said it well. The more time in the woods, the greater your chances!!

deernutz 02-01-2006 04:04 PM

I remember one time I went out and I came around a corner and there were horns everywhere oh wait those are just sticks. Thats about my shed hunting goes!!!!!

deernutz 02-01-2006 04:05 PM

I honestly believe I need to fall on one and have it penetrate my leg for me to find one, I've walked miles and miles and miles and never found one!

OhiobowHunter56 02-01-2006 04:32 PM

yesterday was our last day of season and i seen 5 really nice bucks and they all had both of their racks.. but just go slow and keep your eyes peeled!...i've found most of mine in places where the bucks have to creep under brire bushes... just my experience... cover as much area as you can

Finch 02-01-2006 04:43 PM

This is my first year actually looking for sheds. I found the left side of an 8 pointers rack my first time out. It was luck. I was heading back home and there it was in my path. I really wasn't looking at the time.[&:]

I have been out a couple times since and have come up with nothing. I am going to give it another week or two and go at it again. Good luck!

I have read to check in the trees b/c a buck may lose an antler in a fork or branch.

early in 02-01-2006 05:35 PM

I have never gone out with the intent of hunting down sheds and intrestingly, have never even accidently found one![&o] That's in about 25 yrs of hunting.:D

bowtech die hard 02-01-2006 06:04 PM

good tips, i was curious about the same thing.

HuntingEd 02-01-2006 06:30 PM

I just started seriously shed "hunting" last season. I found 9 last feb. The best way to find them is to layout an imaginary grid of the area you are searching. It sounds tedious, but i walk a grid that is about 6-8 ft apart, just walk back and forth concentrating on the ground around your feet. If you just walk around looking you'l find them now and then, and if you try to look everywhere you only find them ifthe sun is on them. I was out yesterday and my cousin found two from years past (we werent walking a grid). If you dont have time to walk a grid, walk where you see deer move and its easy to just follow the trails, ive had a lot of sucess following trails. If you want to scan the woods, stop. Stand there and look slowly.Its tough, but it kinda feels like a treasure hunt and it helps with the post hunting depression. I dont think they've really started dropping them yet. A few have, but you'll probably wanna go back through an area if you walk it soon.