Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Summit Viper...Tree damage >

Summit Viper...Tree damage

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Summit Viper...Tree damage

Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Spike

Default Summit Viper...Tree damage

This is going to sound like a silly question but....Is there a way, or has anybody done something to the "teeth" on the Summit Viper stand to prevent damage to the tree when they climb up? Imthinking likecovering them somehowwithout compromising safety.

Here is my reason: I have permission on a large chunk of land. The landowners are elderly and very "set in ways". They are tree farmers and on their rules it says NO DAMAGE of any kind to trees. Even though the trees I'd be in arent the ones they harvest, rules are rules. There are so many great spots for using a climbing stand on this land but Im afraid to even minimally hurt the bark on a tree by climbing it. This is in a state 14 hours from me so using a climber and being mobile would be great.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Summit Viper...Tree damage

Bite = Safety.... As far as tree damage is concerned, the Lone Wolf bites worse than the Summit and I can't tell I've even climbed them after a couple months. They bite so you don't go sliding down the tree! I wouldn't recommend changing anything with the teeth, they are designed like that perposely.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

You absolutely have NO worries about damaging a tree with a Summit... Like Wolf said up above, I can't even see where I've climbed the tree even before I unhook the thing... They in no way shape or form damage trees.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Spike

Great to hear, thanks for the input guys!

I just worried that it would do something that they'd think was damage. Ive seen trees that looked like someone took an axe to them every few feet. Ive never paid attention to what my Viper does so just assumed it would do the damage.

D

Old 01-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those are probably people using those old "blade" style climbers; trust me, look the next time you come down and from the evidence alone, you'll swear you were never in that tree!
Old 01-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I have a lone wolf. I can easily see the marks from trees i've climbed, weeks even months later.

So I think Dtabor has some genuine concerns.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would honestly give you a $100 bill if you could walk into the woods and tell me which tree I'd been in five minutes after I got down with either of my Summits... And I'd even tell you which area I was in within a 100-yard radius!
Old 01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

My mini viper does leave marks. They are slight but they are there. It is not enough that it will damage the tree, in market value or health. I do not think the damage is great enough to let any form of damaging agent into the tree. Maybe you should climb a similar type of tree that you would be climbing on their property, hardwood and or pine, and send some pictures to the land owners. Explain that the impressions in the bark are minor and that you want to make sure they are all right with it. That will show your concern for their land and abiding by there wishes. That might be enough to let them grant you permision to use the climber.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:05 AM
Spike

Maineac,

Maybe your are right. It might be worth doing that. We are heading out late summer to do some scouting anyway, would be a good time to talk to them about it. We mentioned it to them last year but just couldnt describe well enough what the climber does. Maybe pics would show them and let them decide from there.

I think maybe the problem would come down to what is superficial and what would hurt the tree in their eyes. I would hope that in their years and years as tree farmers that they would know what is ok and what is harmful.

Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions.

D
Old 01-31-2006, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that the summit doesn't leave big gouge's in the tree's ,it does leave small mark's but they'll disappear quickly.But NEVER cover the teeth with anything ,or you may be the one that get's hurt and not the tree.
But if your really concerned you may want to use a ground blind .But I'd definately discuss this again with the owner .

nubo

Quick Reply: Summit Viper...Tree damage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.