HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Scrapes are starting to show up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/13073-scrapes-starting-show-up.html)

meatgazer 10-18-2002 10:45 PM

Scrapes are starting to show up

found a brand new scrape Fri. afternoon...deep hoof lines in it. also got a glimpse at the deer that i think made it. but he knows i was there. Don't know if i should hunt the stand in the am or go to another spot.

Sooner_Hunter 10-19-2002 01:35 AM

RE: Scrapes are starting to show up

they don't always "know the rules" but i'd give it a day just to be sure.

OlMossyHorns 10-19-2002 08:14 AM

Give it a day or two, and then hunt it.

trmichels 10-19-2002 08:55 AM

After 7 years of researching over 100 scrapes, withover 200 activites at those scrapes, I'd like to think I learned a few things about scrape activity.

If the scrape is in an open/non-secure area (field edge, meadow, hilltop, near a road etc.) where the buck can see, hear or smell humans or human activity, it probably will not work the scrape during daylight hours.

Scraping in the north begins as soon as bucks shed velvet (late August-early September) These first scrapes are often along field/meadow edges or in openings.

Scrapes in open areas are usually used at night. (Not good hunting sites.)

Peak scraping usually begins in the northern states around Oct. 15-21.

Peak scraping usually precedes peak breeding by 1-2 weeks.

The scrapes most likely to get hit on a regular basis are traditional scrapes (ones used year after year), that are: along travel routes, in doe core areas, or in or near staging areas (often downwind of a food source).

Most bucks in an area will visit, but not necessarily use, a traditional scrape.

Even traditional scrapes may only be used on a semi-regular basis (1-4+ times per week).

The scrapes most like to get hit during the day, are traditional scrapes, that are in wooded/low-lying/secluded areas, and are scrapes that are used 1-2 weeks prior to peak breeding.

If you are in a northern state, and you have fresh scrapes, in an area where there were few or no scrapes before, if the scrapes are in secluded areas, and if it is after October 15, it usually means a buck has moved into his fall home/breeding range. Pattern the buck (watch the scrape from a distance or use a Trail Timer to determine what time the buck uses particluar areas of its travel route) and choose multiple stand sites to play the wind. Choose stand locations close to the bucks core area, but not too close (so you don't spook him).

HUNT those scrapes that are being used during daylight hours.

If you have more questions on scrape, rub or breeding activity, or on der, elk, turkey, ducks or geese, post a new topic here addressed to T.R., or e-mail me. I had a 5 piece article on this subject in NA Whitetail a couple of years ago.

T.R. Michels
Trinity Mountain Outdoors
[email protected]