HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Another Antler Scoring Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/130095-another-antler-scoring-question.html)

PA Bow/Flinter 01-23-2006 03:17 PM

Another Antler Scoring Question

I've got a quick question on scoring antlers, specifically spikes. Yea I know, who cares what a spike scores, but I want to know what my first buck scored. Here's my question...

I know that every antler gets 4 circumference measurements. On a standard 4 pt antler, the last circumference measurement is taken half way between the G-3 and the tip. Now on a spike, would you take the same measurement 1/2 way along the length and us it four times.....or....
Would you split the antler into 5 equal lengths and take 4 seperate circumference measurements at each progressive mark.

IE: Say this is your antler:
[.................................................. ..........................................]

Would you do A)
[................................................(1 )........................................]

Or B)
[...............(1)..................(2)........... .....(3).............(4)..............]

I hope this makes sence, let me know if you are confused and I'll try to clear it up.

kevster10p 01-23-2006 06:27 PM

RE: Another Antler Scoring Question

i think u just take 1 circumference

MOTOWNHONKEY 01-23-2006 07:07 PM

B, you get 4 circumfrance measurements per spike.

PA Bow/Flinter 01-23-2006 07:22 PM

OHH MAN....Now I have two different answers, which one is it? I was leaning towards B, but I don't know. Should I start a poll on it? LOL

More insite is greatly appreciated!!

cardeer 01-24-2006 02:44 AM

1 cir. meas. per spike at base plus the length of each spike and the distance between each spike

Shockwave 01-24-2006 09:04 AM

Looks like it's going to be 50-50! I say you get 4 measurements per side regardless of how many points there are. This, to me, would mean your option "B" ... 4 equally spaced measurements.

I am by no means an official scorer, though!

... Shockwave

rybohunter 01-24-2006 09:16 AM

I am under the thought of 4 measurements equally spaced

cwenisch 01-24-2006 03:01 PM

One measurement for circumference in the middle of each spike.

cwenisch 01-24-2006 03:03 PM

Somebody must be a registered Pope and Young scorer on this forum.

buckeye 01-24-2006 03:22 PM

You do get 4 mass measurements even though it is a spike. That is for sure.

Whether it is A or B I do not know for sure, I would venture my guess as B taking into account how one would measure a fork horn, 5 point, 6 point etc etc.... I really can't see scoring mass measurements on a spike to be any different then any other antler configuration.