Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Speed vs quietness, what's your priority? (Poll added) >

Speed vs quietness, what's your priority? (Poll added)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Speed
13.64%
Quiet
86.36%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Speed vs quietness, what's your priority? (Poll added)

Old 03-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Speed vs quietness, what's your priority?

quiet, deer cant hear ya then.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:12 AM

as a stalker i get so close that EVERYTHING has to be quiet. and speed is unnecessary for me at 10 to15 yards.
sound travelspretty darn fast,even if your bow shoots 500 fps the deer will here it long before the arrow gets there.

there is no happy medium, your either going to get a really quiet bow,or a really fast bow.
now some speed bows are quieter then others, but, i`m willing to bet the quietest is no where near the fastest.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Quiet...............I don't unerstand these STS's on hunting bows..........WHACK! every shot[&:]
Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Speed vs quietness, what's your priority? (Poll added)

I will go with quiet any day. Know lots of folks look at speed, but no matter how fast the bow is, a slight noise and you get a bad shot or miss from what would otherwise have been a good shot. Mine pass through and you know I never had a chronograph on them! [8D]
Old 03-12-2006, 07:42 AM
RCL

I prefer a quiet bow over all others, but being able to have that and speed as well would be great. My buddies Trykon is a smoker at 306 fps through the chrono, and it's probably the quietest compound I've every heard. I'm told the new model Switchbacks are the same way.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:28 AM

quiet, i learned the hard way, not only the bow, but the accessories.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RCL

I prefer a quiet bow over all others, but being able to have that and speed as well would be great. My buddies Trykon is a smoker at 306 fps through the chrono, and it's probably the quietest compound I've every heard. I'm told the new model Switchbacks are the same way.
NOt sure how fast my Ultra Max is, but had other Matthews used standing right beside me tell me mine was quieter then their new ones. Use a Montana Black Gold Dusk Devil II, WB, limb savers all over. So I will stick with what I have, speed or not. Pass throughs work for me! [8D]
Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 AM

I like em silent. my longbow is like the whisper of death. that way if I miss em I can get another one on the way before it knows what it was
Old 03-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was a tourny shooter I went for all the speed I could get as I felt my form was good enough for any mistakes I might make to cause a problem but when I went bowhunting I go for quite, heavy shaft & could care less on high end speed. I want penetration.
I shot Easton X-7 1614s out of 45#s for tournys-I could hold that all day if I had to. When I went hunting I shot 70#s, Easton 2216s. Release.
In my stick bow days I shot the same Tourny shooting (45#s) & 1716s (fingers) but 62 to 64#s & 2020sBowhunting.With the release aids we could experiment even more.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 AM

If your bow isn't quiet, it doesn't matter how fast you shoot...a deers reflex, especially one that is nervous, is fast enough to "jump" the string of any bow even if you shoot 300+ ft/sec...so if you want to harvest more deer...give up the speed for a silent bow!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Speed vs quietness, what's your priority? (Poll added)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.